110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a really fuzzy memory of either a video or article that definitely showed in a different light. I can’t for the life of me find it… I think it was posted here a few years ago. I’m picturing him in the AM2 office during Shenmue development and he was clearly acting in charge… Maybe someone will remember.

I have a really fuzzy memory of either a video or article that definitely showed in a different light. I can’t for the life of me find it… I think it was posted here a few years ago. I’m picturing him in the AM2 office during Shenmue development and he was clearly acting in charge… Maybe someone will remember.

You may be thinking of this meeting from the NHK "making of" documentary, at timestamp: 52:35:

that looks like the one! Thank you. Not too shouty, though. Just seems focused.

I just wonder what’s in it for 110 if they make Shenmue 4. It seems like more of a win for them if they make a new IP with Suzuki being a producer versus continuing an established series.

Shenmue through the years has proven that sales are decent but nothing wildly successful apart from the fact that it did sell really well for the Dreamcast, a console that didn’t have a huge number of units sold. I just can’t see a newish company tackling a game with that record. If Shenmue 3 had rave reviews and better sales than it had I would be more positive.

It just makes more sense for them to do something new. Maybe even something similar to Shenmue without the name attached. I would imaging people who’ve never played 1-3 would not be as eager to pick up a fourth game.

The anime does improve that scenario though. I do think there’s a lot to be said about the momentum of the brand at this time in history.

My odds are like this:
Suzuki is working with 110 on some new IP: 80%
Suzuki is working with 110 on Shenmue 4: 15%
Suzuki isn’t doing anything with them: 5%

I disagree with Star Wars drowning out a Shenmue announcement on May 4th (if that happened). I mean, let’s be honest, people that care about Shenmue & Star Wars are likely following Shenmue social media to at least a degree and would not miss this potential announcement, and people that only care about Star Wars - well, a Shenmue announcement won’t impact them at all

I just wonder what’s in it for 110 if they make Shenmue 4. It seems like more of a win for them if they make a new IP with Suzuki being a producer versus continuing an established series.

Shenmue through the years has proven that sales are decent but nothing wildly successful apart from the fact that it did sell really well for the Dreamcast, a console that didn’t have a huge number of units sold. I just can’t see a newish company tackling a game with that record. If Shenmue 3 had rave reviews and better sales than it had I would be more positive.

It just makes more sense for them to do something new. Maybe even something similar to Shenmue without the name attached. I would imaging people who’ve never played 1-3 would not be as eager to pick up a fourth game.

The anime does improve that scenario though. I do think there’s a lot to be said about the momentum of the brand at this time in history.

My odds are like this:
Suzuki is working with 110 on some new IP: 80%
Suzuki is working with 110 on Shenmue 4: 15%
Suzuki isn’t doing anything with them: 5%

Well, sometimes it's just for "Prestige".

Like Showtime producing season 3 of Twin Peaks 25 years after season 2. They knew before that the show wouldn't be profitable (and the show wasn't profitable), but it adds prestige to your catalog and to your name.

Like AMC with Mad Men. Mad Men was never profitable and even turned around 20 millions $ of loss each season, but they still made 7 seasons because it is one of the most awarded TV Series ever (I think it's the fourth or fifth most awarded TV show and they have the record for "Best Drama" at the Emmys ans at the Golden Globe, won 4 or 5 times in a row). It's just prestige.

Here 110, since they are young a trying to put a name for themselves, Shenmue is great for publicity and prestige.

In the interview released by 110 industries, Yu only mentions Shenmue and Virtua Fighter. He could have mentioned any of his other games. Something is happening Shenmue-related and I would be shocked if it is anything other than Shenmue 4. Seems like much more of a risk, and in my opinion a mistake, to do some sort of spin-off to try to fund a future 4th game. This and 110i liking all the calls for Shenmue 4 leads me to believe this is more than just us hopeful fans reaching for something.

What if it's a Shenmue 1&2 Remake. The SEGA Shenmue website that is down with the 503 error is for Shenmue 1&2 and the way Suzuki seemed in the anime event was as though 4 is still not in the works. Mabye SEGA is secretly involved and they're preparing to launch an updated website in connection with the announcement?

I'm not sure why 110i would put money down for a remake instead of a 4th game though.

Depends how you define a win, but established IP will always come out on top when it comes to getting eyeballs on a project.

Even rumours based on social media likes that 110 were helping make Shenmue IV a reality probably got them more press than at any other point in their history.

At this point, I only see it *not* being Shenmue IV if 110 couldn't pony up the budget Yu wanted.

What if it's a Shenmue 1&2 Remake. The SEGA Shenmue website that is down with the 503 error is for Shenmue 1&2 and the way Suzuki seemed in the anime event was as though 4 is still not in the works. Mabye SEGA is secretly involved and they're preparing to launch an updated website in connection with the announcement?

I'm not sure why 110i would put money down for a remake instead of a 4th game though.

But whats the connection then to another publisher if its a remake?
Sega is already a publisher and they own 100% of the IP rights.
What kind of big publisher (like Sega, Capcom, Ubisoft, Square Enix) and so on
gets budget from a third party publisher for a already existing IP?
Thats like some Indie / AA spanish publisher giving money to Square Enix for a Final Fantasy 9 Remake.
I dont see how that would work and why anyone would offer or accept that.

Worth a note that Virtua Fighter is still owned by Sega and last I heard via a leak(not sure how reputable) they do have a VF6 in development.

So unless Yu is a consultant on that, that's not what 110i has planned with him. That's still Sega.
Given the numbers and generally public positive statements from SEGA on VF5US I reckon there's some truth in that.

But whats the connection then to another publisher if its a remake?
Sega is already a publisher and they own 100% of the IP rights.
What kind of big publisher (like Sega, Capcom, Ubisoft, Square Enix) and so on
gets budget from a third party publisher for a already existing IP?
Thats like some Indie / AA spanish publisher giving money to Square Enix for a Final Fantasy 9 Remake.
I dont see how that would work and why anyone would offer or accept that.
Plus Sega already technically put the remasters out in 2018 and crunchy roll have done a reboot of sorts in the form of the anime so a remake while would be good to an extent is kinda pointless now as alot of people have the option on how to catch up with the story with the preference of their choice :)

Last edited:

Hmm, maybe Sega is partnering with LemonHaze and crew on the Phoenix/Dragon editions?! They have been super silent on those recently ;)

While that would be really cool, no way SEGA wouldn’t be the publisher just like for 1&2 collection previously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back