My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

Its hard for me to accept something less than a 9 for anything Shenmue related, because when the first game came out it was so fucking groundbreaking..
I can see some people genuinely feeling like it's a 7 to them, if they are really, really disappointed by some of the changes/adaptions, and they're die-hard purists, but anything below that is just pure trolling tbh.

The sheer quality of the animation, the background art, the inclusion of so many small details from the games, the absolute perfection in how they've captured the spirit of Shenmue - all of that alone easily puts it at a 7 minimum, by any account.

I'll be honest, I thought the anime was going to be kinda dog shit until the first trailer came out. Then I adjusted my expecations and thought it'd be around a 6/10, 7/10 but I'll love it anyway purely because it's Shenmue. Now that those more recent trailers have dropped, and especially after the first episode, I'm actually blown away by how good it is. They've done such a good job with it, I'm actually astonished. 10/10 for me, genuinely.

I can see some people genuinely feeling like it's a 7 to them, if they are really, really disappointed by some of the changes/adaptions, and they're die-hard purists, but anything below that is just pure trolling tbh.

The sheer quality of the animation, the background art, the inclusion of so many small details from the games, the absolute perfection in how they've captured the spirit of Shenmue - all of that alone easily puts it at a 7 minimum, by any account.

I'll be honest, I thought the anime was going to be kinda dog shit until the first trailer came out. Then I adjusted my expecations and thought it'd be around a 6/10, 7/10 but I'll love it anyway purely because it's Shenmue. Now that those more recent trailers have dropped, and especially after the first episode, I'm actually blown away by how good it is. They've done such a good job with it, I'm actually astonished. 10/10 for me, genuinely.
I agree with everything you said man.
But my inner fan finds a 7 to be low for such a great story.
What pisses me off the most are those ones, twos or even threes. It really stupid from people to do that but what can you do right?

If you're a Shenmue fan and you really want more Shenmue, you really have no other choice. That's all I can say. Many of us spent 16 years yearning for Shenmue 3. Don't tell me now's the time to become too principled to throw a 9 or a 10 at Shenmue on some random anime site, (which I admittedly haven't done yet). My biggest personal criticism is the Shenmue anime is too much of an anime, which isn't actually criticism so I'm not going to give my "HONEST GENUINE Boy Scouts HONOR SCORE" when I do sign up.

If you don't much care for Shenmue or Shenmue 3 killed your passion, I can't help you, but I do question why you're still hanging around us. I mean I guess you can still really like the first two games and not care to see the rest of this thing play out, but try to keep your opinions to the Shenmue 1/2 threads y'know.

So did the rating bumped up now that episode 2 is out?
Nope it went down to 6.86.
It fluctuates a lot though so it may go up to 7 in a day or two once more people have seen it.

I just finished reading the comments on MAL and it's encourgaing to see a lot of positive remarks. Seems at odds with the score, but what can you do? One of the mods of the website is a huge fan and has been writing some good things!

Back