YouTube pre-roll ad trailer.

is that a joke oar are your serious?
I am serious. Everything up to that point is completely flat. It sounds bizarre. The fact he hasn't had any other big roles should tell you he's not exactly a sought after commodity in the voice acting business...

Does it REALLY bother me? No. I'm playing it in English because I've only played the first two games in English. Did it stand out to me as being pretty poor? Yes.

I am serious. Everything up to that point is completely flat. It sounds bizarre. The fact he hasn't had any other big roles should tell you he's not exactly a sought after commodity in the voice acting business...
I don't agree with you.
I think it sounds on point.
Please note that the "falt lines" you're talking about are not directed to lan di, he's probably speaking to the blind lady, so it's normal that he's not boiling on anger right then.
It would been way less realistic if he was.

I don't agree with you.
I think it sounds on point.
Please note that the "falt lines" you're talking about are not directed to lan di, he's probably speaking to the blind lady, so it's normal that he's not boiling on anger right then.
It would been way less realistic if he was.
C'mon, man. I don't live in a bubble. I play a lot of games and watch a lot of movies. Shenmue is my favorite series of all time. The voice acting is definitely not the series' strong point. If you think it sounds good, that's great. I would like the game to not just become meme fodder for the braying jackasses of YouTube and the Internet, but I think it most definitely will.

C'mon, man. I don't live in a bubble. I play a lot of games and watch a lot of movies. Shenmue is my favorite series of all time. The voice acting is definitely not the series' strong point. If you think it sounds good, that's great. I would like the game to not just become meme fodder for the braying jackasses of YouTube and the Internet, but I think it most definitely will.
with all respect.
Your so pessimistic and insecure man. It sucks!! Allways pushing the good vibes down. lol

Of course we are all allowed to have all kinds of opinions.
So this is my opinion about your opinions.

And my opinion is you constantly try to convince people their opinions are wrong. I'm one of many in here who think Ryo sounds like a robot. I can't make myself like something for the sake of pleasing the hardest of the hardcore Shenmue fans. I still pledged $1,500 to the Kickstarter and bought three more copies of the game, so clearly VA isn't high on my list of negatives.

*shrug*

I'm actually full-on perplexed at some of the reactions in here. Especially after Corey straight up nailed that line to Lan Di.

I avoid the Shenmue II English dub like it was poop on the end of a stick, but the dub for III sounds miles ahead in quality for both the main cast and NPCs. It aint' going to win any awards, but I think some of you might need to go back and remind yourselves how obscenely weird the English dub of II is to get a better picture of the improvement.

And my opinion is you constantly try to convince people their opinions are wrong. I'm one of many in here who think Ryo sounds like a robot. I can't make myself like something for the sake of pleasing the hardest of the hardcore Shenmue fans. I still pledged $1,500 to the Kickstarter and bought three more copies of the game, so clearly VA isn't high on my list of negatives.

*shrug*
It's all good man!
But pessimism never brought nothing good to no one.
It's just a manifestation of insecurity and fear.

Don't take this badly tho, please. I don't have nothing against you. On the contray.

But this my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm on the robot side of things. That Phoenix mirror conversation is straight up bad and I can't really see how anyone could convince me otherwise. The end line is better, but what's better still is having the Japanese dub to use instead, which will sound far, far better still (going by what has been shown so far). Sorry, its like playing Yakuza in English, I can't do it, Japanese all the way.

Hey dudes, let's try to not get off track by debating the VO! If anyone wants to make a general thread about Shenmue III's dub then go ahead, but in this thread, please stick to discussing the ad.

Thanks!

Back