Why do i see yakuza fans spreading hate on people who like shenmue 3?

"We live in the day and age were being angry is cool thing."

I love this. And I fully agree with you on it too. It's sad because there are valid issues in life both large and small (including video games) that can warrant anger or angry emotions to come up and pass through, but all of this manufactured resentment and disgust for trivial issues is staggering to me. I believe it's also a large part of the reason why so many video games (and movies as well) are tailored towards celebrating the anti-hero/dark is cool persona because it shuts off the ability to feel emotion and stew in apathy. There's enough natural apathy in the world, and while I can see anger being valid, even in terms of some video game experiences, I cannot see the point behind getting angry that the new Call of Duty wasn't as good as last years or some other click bait type of stuff.

@otbr87 Of course there are real life issues it worth being angry about and wanting some change but we are talking about video games. About toys. It is not worth being angry about toys. Anger is the wrong emotion anyway. Games should create emotions like joy and not anger and hatred.

But bashing video games online has became a good source of income for many weird youtubers. Too many sheep out there that just parrot the thing.

New age game fans are the worst. They seem to have not own opion they just say what their favourite influencers say.

They know nothing about the past of the series they cheer up.

That problem is exklusiv too Yakuza.

Too many new age fans are getting crazy about the posibility that Kojima is going to make another Silent Hill game. These new age fans give Kojima Credit for a series he has nothing to do with.

He just made PT and that's it.

The real creators of Silent Hill, Toyama, Yamaoka are not even mentioned by these guys. It is just Kojima here Kojima there blabala.

These guys often do not have a single clue what they are talking about. it really seems to be uncool these days to research about the history of the game and it's lore. I have always enjoyed that as much as playing the games.

But who needs to research when you have weird dude on youtube that tells you what to think and feel.

Last edited:
@otbr87 Of course there are real life issues it worth being angry about and wanting some change but we are talking about video games. About toys. It is not worth being angry about toys. Anger is the wrong emotion anyway. Games should create emotions like joy and not anger and hatred.

But bashing video games online has became a good source of income for many weird youtubers. Too many sheep out there that just parrot the thing.

New age game fans are the worst. They seem to have not own opion they just say what their favourite influencers say.

They know nothing about the past of the series they cheer up.

That problem is exklusiv too Yakuza.

Too many new age fans are getting crazy about the posibility that Kojima is going to make another Silent Hill game. These new age fans give Kojima Credit for a series he has nothing to do with.

He must made PT and that's it.

The real creators of Silent Hill, Toyama, Yamaoka are not even mentioned by that guys. It is just Kojima here Kojima there blabala.

These guys often do not have a single clue what they are talking about. it really seems to be uncool these days to research about the history of the game and it's lore. I have always enjoyed that as much as playing the games.

But who needs to research when you have weird dude on youtube that tells you what to think and feel.
For the most part I agree that video games aren't something worth getting angry over as they're a first world luxury, but I do think they can genuinely inspire anger as much as they inspire joy. I'm in agreement that they *should* be there to inspire joy, but I also find that a good video game which puts its story at the forefront of the experience should have events within that story that evoke a range of emotions, including anger, because if the game doesn't inspire emotions, then it isn't doing a good job telling a story which is what entertainment is all about. As for the more directionless games that have no story, theres no reason to play those if they're not being enjoyed. Tetris frustrates me in its lack of depth and its puzzles are not fun, so I wouldn't play because it brings up negative feelings of wasting time or being flustered, whereas 20 years ago Sega Swirl was fun for its time, so I enjoyed my time with it. I do agree with what I believe you may be saying overall, hoping that I am understanding you correctly in that video games as a whole are not something that people should be spending time being full of rage about since it's no where near as important as starvation, lack of water, lack of resources in general, people killing each other for flags that represent imaginary lines on the globe or childhood issues that all of us need to find a way to navigate and heal. Yeah, gaming is zero compared to those issues, but within the confines of gaming I do feel its good to have feelings about stuff, but not let them overtake and drive the person. One of the things I found got me angry with games was Yakuza constantly being compared to Shenmue, but I've let that go more and more over the years since its trivial and its always being said by people that aren't observant of the differences. More importantly, I learned why it bothered me that people were drawing a comparison and I learned two simple things: 1. From a factual standpoint, they are nothing alike. So anything factual that isn't based on opinion I always want to be at the forefront in life, if things are looked at from an accurate standpoint, then the world overall can improve. 2. I found it (and still do overall) deeply insulting to compare an epic heroes spiritual journey to a game about mafia life full of action movie dynamics. Learning from this was key for me, and I still have those feelings, but its not worth getting angry over and going back n forth with people that aren't observing the differences versus feeling the emotions and letting them move through.

As for influencers and people parroting others, that in and of itself says it all. People not thinking for themselves and allowing their neurology to be programmed for others opinions is dangerous on all levels, and I won't even engage in conversation with people who you're referring to, but I do see it online quite often, of course.

Last edited:
Because they latched onto the games media (and influencers) sentiment that "Shenmue is Yakuza but done better"

And instead of actually formulating their own opinion...they run with it. Because negativity gets clicks. Despite the fact that the games are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT beasts (as we all know)

Regardless, I'd tell them. The truth is however you cut it, without Shenmue, there wouldn't have been a Yakuza game. Have a nice day.
🤏

In my opinion, bashing a certain fanbase based on biased opinions in downright low and ridiculous. I am a proud owner of both the Remastered Yakuza collection and Shenmue 3 and I never prioritized any of the games over another, because they deserve a place in somebody's heart out there in the World.
Here's how I see the gig: every gamer on the planet has his/her own set of rules, be it morally good or bad. Unfortunately bad morals are nowadays getting more and more mainstream and the best way to vent yourself would be through technology. When I compared both the Yakuza and the Shenmue fanbase, the differences were obvious and somewhat stereotypical: people of the former fanbase were also fans of other action-based and open-world games, most notably GTA and COD/Battlefield. While I was watching people play these games they were pressured in making surreal and immoral decisions and started spewing various hate remarks to people they have never met IRL only because their character either got busted or killed virtually. On the other hand, Shenmue fans tend to be people with morals (like us at the Dojo) and prefer depth and virtues over mindless violence. Yes, there's violence in the Shenmue series too, but it's a "secondary" choice when it's needed in times of desperate measures.
Another major difference between both franchises is the fact that the world around us is getting out of hand. People tend to use violent methods of problem-solving, because it's "easier" and less time-consuming, but more and more of them are forgetting the fact that in case of violent misbehaving IRL there could be dire consequences, so we have law officials doing their jobs.
But yeah, like it was said the hate over Shenmue started in the PS4 era, although there are people who are "eternal" haters (*cough* Jimquisition *cough*) simply because the games are slower-paced and are morally acceptive, yet the biggest irony is the fact that Sega still addresses both franchises to this very day.

Not really related to fanbases being bitchy, but as an original Shenmue fan, but very late adopter of the Yakuza series, I haven't once thought about how long it took for the Yakuza series to catch up to Shenmue in terms of overall quality until reading this thread, but - personal opinion incoming - you've got to think that it took until around Yakuza 4 (released in 2011) for them to get close. There might be a gulf in their original budgets and development methods, but that really shows how great Shenmue was from the get go. Regardless, SEGA have really spoiled us haven't they?

Really love the Yakuza games, but I agree. I haven't played Y5 yet, but I've played the other main enries and imho, only Y0 and Y6 can compare to S1 and S2 in terms of greatness, out of all Yakuza games I've played.

On the other hand, every Yakuza game is better than S3.

Sega have really spoiled us with S1 & S2 and all Yakuza games.

Last edited:
0 and 6 don't even come close, especially since there are 4 titles or so better than those.

7 and maybe LJ are the only things that come close to 'mue II, but 'mue II is the greatest achievement in gaming, so...

7 I haven't played yet. I was talking about the Kiryu era to be more precise. The perception of those games is subjective and individual to every one but I found Y0 the best and 6 the close runner-up.

What is a fact nobody can change though, is that S2 is the greatest video game ever created by humanity.

0 and 6 don't even come close, especially since there are 4 titles or so better than those.

7 and maybe LJ are the only things that come close to 'mue II, but 'mue II is the greatest achievement in gaming, so...
It's just my opinion, but I absolutely hate yakuza 7 for me every yakuza game even spinoff are better than 7

That's fine; tastes vary wildly.

It is the best game in the series, objectively. I can't stress that enough; the writing of the plot and gameplay mechanics are elite, in addition to the other elements that are superb.

My favourite is 3 and second-favourite 5, so it's not even a bias of, "it's my favourite so it's best!"

That's fine; tastes vary wildly.

It is the best game in the series, objectively. I can't stress that enough; the writing of the plot and gameplay mechanics are elite, in addition to the other elements that are superb.

My favourite is 3 and second-favourite 5, so it's not even a bias of, "it's my favourite so it's best!"
Yes but the turn based combat system is what made me hate this game and i know every yakuza games are not really realistic but like a dragon is a bit too much unrealistic.

I don't know I love all three games. Maybe I wanted to debate with people on Reddit, but unfortunately it's just the hatred for the third game

I don't know I love all three games. Maybe I wanted to debate with people on Reddit, but unfortunately it's just the hatred for the third game
Welcome to the forums :)

It's just my opinion, but I absolutely hate yakuza 7 for me every yakuza game even spinoff are better than 7
I would agree. The turn-based gameplay and mandatory fights really ruined it for me, plus the overly empty map. In my mind, Lost Judgment fixed most of its issues though. I really hope yakuza 8 goes back to action gameplay.

I have a few parts of the Yakuza, but honestly it didn't hold me very well while playing. Yakuza are not bad games, but.....

And second thing, Shenmue definitely enjoy these three games more than, for example, Cyberpunk 2077, which could easily be linear, because the city is empty, which is not a problem for Shenmue.

Back