Why do i see yakuza fans spreading hate on people who like shenmue 3?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Virtual fighter 3TB,Watch Dogs
Now i try to not get into anything related to beef. But when it comes to the point that a person insults someone just because the person they are insulting thinks shenmue 3 is a good game Is a no-no. Not trying to generalize a group of fans. God forbid i do. But so far all i have seen was a bunch of yakuza fans bashing someone with insults just because the person likes shenmue.

The world is full of people that just want to hate something just because of the sake of hating. It is the best to ignore them. Most of the time this people have no time what they are talking about. Shenmue for example was there before Yakuza. And Shenmue was and is in many ways more modern Yakuza ever was. This new age fans are annoying but there is no law in the world that prevents people from beeing idiots.

I don't want to generalise but I do find that it's newer Yakuza fans that tend to do this. The people who discovered it back on the PS2 seem to have a little more respect for Shenmue.

I always liken them to cousins. The share some the same genes but very different personalities.

Stuff like this simply happens when a IP gets a new hype or suddenly a new fanbase.
I still remember when Yakuza 4 and 5 were brand new on PS3
and the english playthroughs on Youtube had literally like 30 clicks per episode.
Yakuza content was only shown in special interest 60 minute shows etc.
No big influencer even tried to really touch this stuff.
There was a time where Yakuza games were at Gamescom for example
and the press didnt even mention anything about it.

So whenever someone is trying to tell you now
that he was always the biggest Yakuza fan and it was always his favourite series
and it was always the best and 'lol who needs Shenmue or Sleeping Dogs' ...
chances are very high that its actually a new fan from 2017 or later.

I never heard any of these typical 'Yakuza Is The Best!!!!!!' comments ever
in the PS2 / PS3 era. It was the other way around, Yakuza fans had to defend the IP.
The dumb comments started with Yakuza 0 / Kiwami 1 and the re releases
because thats when the 'new generation' of Yakuza fans came on board.

I am pretty much in agreement with @spud1897 on this one. As someone who started with Ryu Ga Gotoku III on the PlayStation III, I like both franchises. The reason why I like Shenmue more is that it spiritually resonates with me. While Ryu Ga Gotoku is enjoyable in the traditional sense with its solid stories, characters, and gameplay but I do not have a spiritual connection to it.

That being said, I do not go around insulting or disparaging fans who prefer Ryu Ga Gotoku to Shenmue. My tastes in video games do not make me superior to anyone else. Therefore, I find this whole war between the two to be pedantic and puerile. Especially when you consider that both series have very different aims and target markets.

As I have said a billion times before, Ryu Ga Gotoku in my opinion is a Japanese Noir, with Role-Playing elements interspersed with over-the-top machismo for fun. They tell compelling narratives with universally understood themes. Shenmue is a low fantasy martial arts epic with role-playing elements and themes about Asian philosophy, friendship, and coming of age. Which are a bit more ambiguous in comparison. At least that is how I see it.

In other words, I enjoy both franchises and find the whole competition to be asinine.

Last edited:
You're always going to get dickheads in every fandom. Funnily enough, these are probably the same fucksticks who bashed Yakuza as a "Japanese GTA rip-off" until it became cool.

Exactly
When Yakuza was still niche (before Yakuza 0) the fanbase was pretty cool, maybe because majority were just other Sega and/or Shenmue fans like most of us.
I never encountered someone who hated Shenmue, on the contrary if you guys remember, they were very supportive because both series had the same misfortunes at the time.
We even helped each other during the Sony campaign #buildinthelist to save both Yakuza 5 and Shenmue 3.

Now with "Yakuza fans 2.0", it is a total different story: they are a bunch of foul mouthed kids that came from GTA and COD, who approached the series just for the "idiotic" parts included and only after it became cool on socials, and now they act like those yakuza games hoodlums and attack anyone in their ways: Shenmue fans, other Yakuza fans etc.

Of course not all Yakuza fans are like this, but unfortunately a big portion of the fanbase is now made of very toxic people.

Have to agree this new age fans are really a bunch weirdos. Most of them are probably still teenagers are older people that remainded teenagers in their mind. They probably just saw the Yakuza memes on youtube or somehwere else and think that is everything Yakuza is a about. It is sad though I really sound like a old geezer now that complains abou the youth lol.

Unfortunately it is true. These people make gamers look like total idiots. But not all games are unhappy people that just play games to angry about something . Many of us play games for the fun and not for hating other games we do not like it.

There are also many games I do not really care about but they are not in my mind all the time. And the idea to tell people their favourite games are trash.

Well cannot be helped. We live in the day and age were being angry is cool thing. The whole rants on youtube with their high click numbers proof that.

I honestly think most of the folks parroting Shenmue hate never played or cared about Shenmue, because they're all usually in the 18-25-year-old range, and assume its existence somehow threatens Yakuza, so they need to exaggerate their hatred to really prove a point. I probably prefer Shenmue 1/2 because I experienced them before the first Yakuza, which came out in 2005 (as most of you know), and sort of experienced it all as it was new... Difference back then is I was pretty excited about Yakuza since I pretty much accepted Shenmue was dead. I had no resentment. I found the first game disappointing compared to Shenmue 2. :)

Technically I knew Shenmue before Yakuza but never played it before 2018 because I feel for the ps2 hype too much and ignored my Dreamcast at the end 2000. So I played Yakuza 1 on the ps2 before I played Shenmue for myself. But I have always thought they have not much im common. Yakuza is more like modern day 3d Street of Rage while Shenmue is a classical point and click adventure with some fighting elements. Besides the fact that they are both from Sega and are set in Japan these series have nothing in common. They are by no way in any comptetion with each other.

And even they were in competion why not just enjoy both?

Last edited:
Its from new yakuza fans.

Old Yakuza fans are awesome and are good people. They respect shenmue and yakuza, as they know both franchises struggled big time to survive.

New yakuza fans suck ass. Literally suck ass. They parrot the same nonsense they hear from "edgy" youtube personalities, social media or the gaming media, and then repeat it everyday like robots believing they came to that conclusion. Its not all of them, but a good portion of them. The saddest, weirdest ones are the fully grown adults acting like that. Bunch of losers if you ask me. Losers who suck ass

Play and enjoy what you want. Dont spread hate on to other franchises or fanbases.

Its from new yakuza fans.

Old Yakuza fans are awesome and are good people. They respect shenmue and yakuza, as they know both franchises struggled big time to survive.

New yakuza fans suck ass. Literally suck ass. They parrot the same nonsense they hear from "edgy" youtube personalities, social media or the gaming media, and then repeat it everyday like robots believing they came to that conclusion. Its not all of them, but a good portion of them. The saddest, weirdest ones are the fully grown adults acting like that. Bunch of losers if you ask me. Losers who suck ass

Play and enjoy what you want. Dont spread hate on to other franchises or fanbases.
I was speaking to one new yakuza fan. And i was trying to point out how shenmue 3 is a good game. But its not better then 1 and 2. Then he just started straight up cussing me out saying how i love a "shitty" series. When i put out more of my points of why i love shenmue he goes out of his way to try to "insult and hurt" me by calling me a indian boy? I don't know how he thinks I'm indian. I'm central asian (Afghan). Then when i point out his ignorant ways he continues to try and hurt me with his childish "diss". I will never understand these people. Either way their hate wont stop shenmue in the end. Also that mix of shenhua 1/2 in the shenhua 3 outfit looks cool!

1. Is this Resetera? If so, stay TF away from there lol
2. As everyone has said, it's the newer fans, that came with 0; Reddit is a complete cesspool of bs memes and unfunny crap; if I have to hear Bakamitai one more time in a meme or something, I will flip out. Completely took the piss out of the meaning of that tune and is completely made fun of.

I played 'mue for the first time, in '06, 'mue II in '08 and Yakuzas 1-4, back to back, in '12. They are honestly the two deepest and best-crafted series that Sega has ever created and regardless of what people think, they aren't alike at all. One is a martial arts epic, the other is a series of gritty crime dramas, each tackling a different area of the Japanese mob. One is full of morals, teachings and has an essence that no other videogame, past or present, has ever had, while the other is Aesop-filled, which shows (greatly at that, for that matter) the internal struggle of many in the Yakuza, specifically Kiryu and how their lives and the lives of those close to them, are brought to ruin, due to the mob.

I would just ignore these idiots; I so want to tear a strip off of each idiotic comment I see on reddit, twitter or YT, but it's just not worth it. Especially when shills (I hate that word) like Yakuzafan (who never used to be one, but sadly has become) and Sega Lord X (who lies and masks the truth with manipulation), push the bullshit meme content and don't recognise Shenmue, respectively, these are the people who get the clicks and get the exposure and it's just wrong. Indeed, YF is a huge fan of the series, but his pandering to the meme crowd and continually pumping content that placates them, just has me shaking my head. While SLX has done Dreamcast video after Dreamcast video, with nary a mention of Shenmue and when it is mentioned, he pronounces names wrong, locations wrong and presents himself as someone who has never played more than 10 minutes of the game (to us fans; not saying he has played that much of the game{s}, but that's what it comes off as). Money talks and people who have a niche/find a market they can grow in, they do it and don't look back.

And the fans that lap it up? They, well, lap it up and parrot it back, which turns into the moron you were dealing with. Fact is, both series are phenomenal, both can stand on their own and both can be recognized, without bringing up the other. It's a sad state in the world...

BTW, not that I'm down in the city every weekend anymore (I live in Barrie now), but if you ever see a Yellow-y/champagne-y Subaru Outback, with a Sega sticker, a Yi sticker (yes, the Wude) and a few others, that's me: say hi, as it's hard to find a fellow 'mue fan here.

To be honest, I know I should not stereotype any fanbase, but I have noticed that more vitriol comes from the Ryu Ga Gotoku camp than the Shenmue one. Now, that is not to say that all Ryu Ga Gotoku fans are this way or that Shenmue fans are completely innocent. But from what I have seen, it seems more one-sided.

On a side note, I thought this video from Magnus would be interesting since he had never played a Ryu Ga Gotoku game before despite being a massive Shenmue fan. Even he concluded that Ryu Ga Gotoku is nothing like Shenmue.

It's funny when I first imported the original Yakuza game when it came out in Japan at the end of 05 (at the time, no one anticipated if it was going to be released outside of Japan. I had already studied Japanese for six years and was planning on moving to Japan in six months anyway), I was underwhelmed (but by no means disappointed) that it was NOTHING like Shenmue. I wanted to enter EVERY store, talk to EVERY NPC, wanted an internal clock, have magic weather, and so on. And God, did I hate the fixed camera angles most of all! And I hated the fighting system funny enough. I hated the load times and just didn't like that it didn't emulate Virtua Fighter (later, I learned it was based on Spike Out).

I played the demo of 2 the following year at TGS and thought I should give the franchise a chance. Then, I bought the second game when I came out and came to appreciate it for what it is. I came into the first game for understandable, and yet, the wrong reasons. When Shenmue III came out after 18 years, I had to be accepting of its changes. I love the game for what it is. It 85% met my expectations. 7 1/2% exceeded my expectations, and the remaining 7 1/2% needed improvements.

I understand at the end of the day, comparing Yakuza and Shenmue is comparing apples and oranges, but these are apples and oranges that come from the same farm.

Agree with the sentiment that newer fans are the problem. Many are just aping game journalists who picked up Yakuza a few years ago and immediately tried to use it as a stick to beat Shenmue with.

Think about that for a minute. Using an (at the time) modern game with (again, at the time) over half a dozen entries in the series before it, to bash another series that hadn't seen a new release since 2001? Shenmue lives rent free in their heads. I dare say they think about it more than the fans do.

I never really seen any comparisons with the two franchises or hate being spread until the last gen era rolled around with the PS4. 15 years ago no one was comparing the virtually unknown Yakuza to Shenmue, it seems that mostly started during the later sequels phase of Yakuza. I've always agreed with what many people have said here in that there is zero comparisons between the two franchises outside of the Sega logo and Asian characters. I too have noticed that the vast majority of bashing people for liking Shenmue comes from the Yakuza camp whereas I've yet to really see it the other way around personally. I suspect that has a lot to do with the type of person these games attract. It seems that most people that connect with Shenmue are interested in a deeper purpose driven coming of age spiritual experience or at the very least an epic heroes journey, whereas Yakuza is more entertainment based with a lot of egoic macho type of presentation in the characters, content and creator behind it. Video games are often a way for people to live vicariously so I'd have to suspect that's why a vast majority of the toxic Yakuza community bashes the fans of Shenmue, and why the Shenmue community does not do the same, or at least I haven't seen it yet. It's one thing to trash the game based on personal dislike, its another to insult someone for liking it without any valid reason. I feel it comes from a difference in mentality of what each franchise attracts in the simplest terms.

Back