What is your ancestry?

I say English more often than British (and Manc more often than English), but there are obviously strong similarities between each compared to a lot of countries. Being heavy drinkers, fond of chippies, exposure to the same chart music, general preference towards football, etc. Plus we moan about the same kinda shit all the time as well.

There's also another theory floating about that lefties call themselves Brits whereas right wingers go with English, Scottish, etc. Though I'd argue it's more of a case of sports fans vs non-sports fans.

(I'm talking ones that people are actually passionate about like football, cricket and rugby rather than the other shit like tennis, track & field etc.)

There's also another theory floating about that lefties call themselves Brits whereas right wingers go with English, Scottish, etc.
To be honest I only see people call themselves British in England. I don't think I've ever seen someone in Scotland refer to themselves as British except when they have to put their nationality in to something. Perhaps one of the Scots here could correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I've seen, the Scottish identity far outweighs the British identity to the point where it's barely relevant there if at all.

Loving all the analysis going on in this thread, very informative and brain foody.

I'm half Finnish, half Norwegian. On the Norwegian side there is some Danish way back paternal father side, and some lived in the US for a while so probably have some distant family there like many Norwegians, and on the paternal mother side we just found out that my grandma's grandma was Sami. That wasn't talked about, think she came in a handmaiden and it was during the worst times of assimilation of the Sami so yeah... Finnish passport (follows the mother when the mother isn't married to smn of a different nationality), but born and raised in Norway so feel Norwegian. Can't vote in our government elections though, that kind of sucks, but don't wanna swap passports (Norway don't allow for dual-citizenships). Having an EU passport is handy. Felt part of Hong Kong when living there, wouldn't mind a HK ID card, the city just welcomes you into its fold sort of, loved it. Will always remain an egg (white outside, yellow inside), even if it's a derogatory term, like banana (yellow outside white inside) used for ABCs (US born Chinese who don't speak much Chinese). People and cultures and identity are weird, tangled stuff.

Back