SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 8 "Aspiration" Thread

I guess they can still reach the end of shenmue 2

Episode 9 Zhang chase/ finding Ren at Beverly Hills wharf and chasing him, he suggests Ryo go kowloon
Epsiode 10, Kowloon, Dancing Dragon Building capture and escape, Moon Child building investigation/tailing Yuan
Episode 11, Yuanda Zhu meeting at ghost building, fighting 3 champions of Kowloon
Episode 12 Yellow Head Building infiltration and rescuing Zhu
Episode 13 Journey, walk through Guilin

Sounds like it'll be a very close call though.

I suspect it won't happen if episode 9 is another episode about Zhangyu/ the wude, and the jouney to Bailu Village maybe the opening to series 2 if it gets announced.

Last edited:
I actually wouldn’t mind if the series ends after Yellow Head Bldg/before Ryo goes to Guilin- but then it’d seem odd to have the flash forward to the cave scene at the beginning of Ep 1 if we aren’t going to get to that point by Ep 13…

Also, did anyone notice the voice actor credits were for the English dub on Crunchyroll for some reason, and not the Japanese VA’s this week?! Very weird

This anime is really growing on me. But I wish there was a bit more tension in the fight scenes, they kinda of just flash through and they're over. Even Chai was beat in the first episode.

Nice slow burn episode.

Interesting choice to change the order Ryo learns the Wude in too. I didn't quite understand it but then I had a brainwave...

We're coming up on a confrontation with Ren pretty soon, and that got me thinking about his knife and the parallels to Zhangyu's razor at the barber shop. The series so far has loved doing this kind of setup and payoff within the same episode, so I'm guessing this is where they're going with it?
Cool idea!

Since it's the last Wude I imagine they'd want to raise the stakes a bit, and it would definitely be an easy way to condense two events into one. And maybe that's how Ryo gains Ren's respect right away, something along the lines of "I like the cut of yer jib!"

View attachment 14625

I wonder if this is a sly reference to Akira's famous catchphrase "You're ten years too early!"
Well, it's also a catchphrase of Ren's - which makes me wonder if back when the game was VFRPG, and the player character was Akira, whether Ren saying it was meant to be the origin of Akira taking up the phrase...

I guess they can still reach the end of shenmue 2

Episode 9 Zhang chase/ finding Ren at Beverly Hills wharf and chasing him, he suggests Ryo go kowloon
Epsiode 10, Kowloon, Dancing Dragon Building capture and escape, Moon Child building investigation/tailing Yuan
Episode 11, Yuanda Zhu meeting at ghost building, fighting 3 champions of Kowloon
Episode 12 Yellow Head Building infiltration and rescuing Zhu
Episode 13 Journey, walk through Guilin

Sounds like it'll be a very close call though.

I suspect it won't happen if episode 9 is another episode about Zhangyu/ the wude, and the jouney to Bailu Village maybe the opening to series 2 if it gets announced.
Yeah, like many of you I'm suspecting more and more that the series will end at Kowloon gaining an extra episode to flesh out the story. I can imagine a short post-credits scene in the last episode, with Ryo getting off the boat at Langhuishan, and then a cut to Shenhua being nearby and sensing something...and BAM! THE STORY GOES ON, SEE YOU NEXT SEASON (if we make it :-)).

That would keep the cave scene as a big teaser for the next season. In fact, I think the cave scene and all the Guilin journey towards Bailu would make an excellent first episode for a new season, just like the first one set up Iwao's death.

Well, it's also a catchphrase of Ren's - which makes me wonder if back when the game was VFRPG, and the player character was Akira, whether Ren saying it was meant to be the origin of Akira taking up the phrase...
I always kinda assumed that Ren's durag was going to be used by Akira/Ryo as a headband in tribute to Ren, so it makes total sense that the catchphrase originated with Ren too.

It's crazy how many scenarios in the anime weren't actually in the games, or were heavily changed!
It's great to see many scenes we already know and love, but new ones too!

Yeah, like many of you I'm suspecting more and more that the series will end at Kowloon gaining an extra episode to flesh out the story. I can imagine a short post-credits scene in the last episode, with Ryo getting off the boat at Langhuishan, and then a cut to Shenhua being nearby and sensing something...and BAM! THE STORY GOES ON, SEE YOU NEXT SEASON (if we make it :-)).

That would keep the cave scene as a big teaser for the next season. In fact, I think the cave scene and all the Guilin journey towards Bailu would make an excellent first episode for a new season, just like the first one set up Iwao's death.
Series 2 I imagine would begin the journey through Guilin, but knowing this is a more action packed adaptation, I could see them having Ryo cross paths with the blue spiders on the way to Bailu Village.

So I wanted to highlight something that came to mind while watching this episode. One of the debates many of us fans have had while watching this anime, are these expanded or remixed scenes part of the novelization or original story?

This episode may give us an indication, I am talking about Xuixing’s errand and deadline Ryo has while airing out the books. Thanks to the amazing work by @Switch I am talking about the design document of Shenmue-

Xiuying's errand: the ability for Ryo to abandon the book airing is is an interesting difference compared to the final version of the game, where you are constantly under the watchful eye of one of the temple workers, Jiliang Chang

Full article

Enjoyed the episode will post my detailed thoughts shortly.

I am wondering if they will somehow change Kowloon to represent the real Kowloon (which supposedly is just across the bridge from Hong Kong City), maybe they intend to keep more of the action in Hong Kong with a small segment of the yellow heads, Yuanda Zhu being held in Kowloon. If you remember on Workers Pier, Yuanda Zhus old office was located there.

Great to see Eileen and Izumi in this episode. I wonder if Joy will be a key in all this. I hope the recent episode will further indicate and lead to the time she was kidnapped and Guizhang came to save her like in that bonus manga chapter.

Oh wow, I'm so glad to have been wrong that the lack of Tomato meant we wouldn't get Izumi (or Eileen). Really fun cameos!

Pacing of this episode is perfect for shenmue fans. I find it interesting people on here are a little worried about amount of content to cover in remaining episodes. The creators have got this, don't worry... Just like they have nailed the whole series so far

There is enough Easter egg elements with perfect pacing at same time. I am pleased they covered as much as they did in Japan so no complaints there. I would guess pace will be quick in last few episodes in Kowloon but done in the right way!

It's crazy how many scenarios in the anime weren't actually in the games, or were heavily changed!
It's great to see many scenes we already know and love, but new ones too!
I thought it was an interesting twist on the revenge story from the original that Ryo acts like he's just pursuing Lan Di to find out the truth but It's a front, people's mileage will vary however.

In my previous post i said that this scene is not in the game and that is a beautiful addition but now i see this post and now i'm confused.

This scene is in the game? I don't remember seeing this scene in Shenmue II, I don't remember Xiuying with Fangmei outside of the Man Mo temple in a situation like this, i don't think this scene is in the game but now i'm not sure, the image of the game looks like a montage but now i'm not sure if this scene is in the game, this scene is really in the game? i'm playing Shenmue II for the second time from beginning to the end but i really don't remember a situation like this happening in the game.

1648465842103.png

It's not in the game. Joe Kitchen created the scene in game via modding tools, and sent the screenshots to the Dojo :) Did an awesome job! Love it!

On Instagram some people had doubts about this and I started to wonder if the scene is in the game or not. I agree, awesome job, love it, thank you.

Back