SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 4: Shackles Thread

I found another detail in the episode. The scene in Nozomi's room i saw a calendar with the number 12, i only saw this detail today, so in this episode we can see that the month now in the anime is December, another beautiful detail in the anime. In the anime Ryo will go to Hong Kong before christmas and before new year eve? the anime have many changes if we compare to the game so i'm not sure about a lot of things, i don't know exactly what i will see in the anime and this is good in my opinion.

IMG_4335.jpg

I found another detail in the episode. The scene in Nozomi's room i saw a calendar with the number 12, i only saw this detail today, so in this episode we can see that the month now in the anime is December, another beautiful detail in the anime. In the anime Ryo will go to Hong Kong before christmas and before new year eve? the anime have many changes if we compare to the game so i'm not sure about a lot of things, i don't know exactly what i will see in the anime and this is good in my opinion.

In the game it takes 20 days for the boat to get to Hong Kong remember :) (The date is 20 days after if you use a cleared S1 file when starting S2)

I don`t know about this anime... I didn`t like episode 1 and 2. I liked episode 3 except the over-exaggerated demeanour of Master Chen.

This episode though consolidates why I dislike this series. In the game it`s all about Ryo delving into the abyss in pursuit of revenge. And you have so many characters that actively try to straighten him up. In this series you have a different premise for why he is doing the same thing he did in the games and you have people not only encourage it, but also actively helping him. or just ignoring it.

Also the Ryo and Guizhang fight started great. But the climax, contrary to the game, was just horrible.

I don`t know about this anime... I didn`t like episode 1 and 2. I liked episode 3 except the over-exaggerated demeanour of Master Chen.

This episode though consolidates why I dislike this series. In the game it`s all about Ryo delving into the abyss in pursuit of revenge. And you have so many characters that actively try to straighten him up. In this series you have a different premise for why he is doing the same thing he did in the games and you have people not only encourage it, but also actively helping him. or just ignoring it.

Also the Ryo and Guizhang fight started great. But the climax, contrary to the game, was just horrible.
It's funny, because I think I like it for the exact reasons you dislike it 😅
I enjoy seeing a slightly different retelling of the same story. It feels familiar, but also new and fresh at the same time. It's like I get to experience Shenmue's story for the first time again and I find myself excited throughout the week to find out what happens next, even know I already technically know lol

Are you planning to stick with it? I feel like Ryo might start meeting a lot of resistance during the Shenmue II arc, especially from characters like Xiuying and Joy.

Not everyone is going to enjoy it and that's fine. I appreciate it respects the source material, I've seen some animated adaptations that just made go "WTF is the point?"

The revenge is there even Yamagishi-san noticed that in the scene in the image, the eyes of someone that wants revenge, and during the second episode he was not sure about helping Ryo. I feel that in the Hong Kong part more things will happen and Ryo we will even say for Xiuying that he want revenge or she will noticed that like Yamagishi-san did, and probably she will try to stop Ryo, this is what i think will happen, even in the official anime site is written that Ryo want to avenge his father.

In this version looks like Ryo do not want to say that he want revenge to not worry people dear to him like Nozomi, in episode 4 Ryo even ask for Nozomi if she is worried, Nozomi say yes and then Ryo said sorry, Ryo in this version don't want to worry people dear to him about his revenge, and Ryo in this version question more things but the revenge is there, and i like this things in this version.

i love the games but i also love this version of the story. The revenge is there but we are just seeing another version of this story.

index.php

Hanging around with dangerous gangs and groups might bring out the vengeful and more aggressive streak in Ryo. The same thing may have happened with Lan Di, he wanted to find out who killed his father, wanted justice, and joined up with shady individuals to achieve it, in that case the CYM.

I would like to see Ryo redeem Lan Di and they break the cycle.

Hanging around with dangerous gangs and groups might bring out the vengeful and more aggressive streak in Ryo. The same thing may have happened with Lan Di, he wanted to find out who killed his father, wanted justice, and joined up with shady individuals to achieve it, in that case the CYM.

I would like to see Ryo redeem Lan Di and they break the cycle.

Yeah, i think many things like that will happen in Hong Kong and we will see Ryo more aggressive about wanting revenge, in my opinion this way would be really interesting.

Yeah, i think many things like that will happen in Hong Kong and we will see Ryo more aggressive about wanting revenge, in my opinion this way would be really interesting.
I think Ren was quite threatening in those early chapters of Shenmue II, he even stabs Ryo if you fail the QTE. He had a bit of a menacing edge, I'd like it the anime leans on that, that Ryo is making questionable allies to pursue his revenge.

It's funny, because I think I like it for the exact reasons you dislike it 😅
I enjoy seeing a slightly different retelling of the same story. It feels familiar, but also new and fresh at the same time. It's like I get to experience Shenmue's story for the first time again and I find myself excited throughout the week to find out what happens next, even know I already technically know lol

Are you planning to stick with it? I feel like Ryo might start meeting a lot of resistance during the Shenmue II arc, especially from characters like Xiuying and Joy.
It, feeling different, to me is quite a bad thing, especially when the journey and actions of the characters are essentially the same. The only merit in doing this is, if the outcome of the changed actions is different as well, according to the new ones.

Shenmue without Ine-San, Nozomi and Fuku-San realizing the high price Ryo is paying for the satisfaction of getting revenge is barely anything to me.

To make it more concrete: because of time constrains they needed Ine-San to give Ryo the letter sooner. But they couldn`t do that if she was against his actions. So they took this character trait from her and gave it Yamagishi-San. By doing that, they actively compromised Ine-Sans character in favour of a very minor character. A very crucial character in Shenmue 1 is essentially nothing in this anime. That`s just objectively bad.

I really do think, as I stated before, Ryo delving into the abyss and going through a rocky hard path willingly and him not wanting to directly involve loved once, but the very same getting jeopardized by the situation, is an essential part of Shenmue. That`s why Nozomi getting into her situation with Terry because of her own actions rather then Ryos is also just bad to me. That`s essentially betraying Nozomis character. Changing a character from a very heart-warming, sympathetic and empathatic character into reckless one doesn`t make the character better in any way!

I do watch it up until now but I think the chapter 1 of the saga is already botched. I do think Shenmue II is a bit more straight forward and action-oriented so my hopes are, that I can enjoyed it for that alone.

It, feeling different, to me is quite a bad thing, especially when the journey and actions of the characters are essentially the same. The only merit in doing this is, if the outcome of the changed actions is different as well, according to the new ones.

Shenmue without Ine-San, Nozomi and Fuku-San realizing the high price Ryo is paying for the satisfaction of getting revenge is barely anything to me.

To make it more concrete: because of time constrains they needed Ine-San to give Ryo the letter sooner. But they couldn`t do that if she was against his actions. So they took this character trait from her and gave it Yamagishi-San. By doing that, they actively compromised Ine-Sans character in favour of a very minor character. A very crucial character in Shenmue 1 is essentially nothing in this anime. That`s just objectively bad.

I really do think, as I stated before, Ryo delving into the abyss and going through a rocky hard path willingly and him not wanting to directly involve loved once, but the very same getting jeopardized by the situation, is an essential part of Shenmue. That`s why Nozomi getting into her situation with Terry because of her own actions rather then Ryos is also just bad to me. That`s essentially betraying Nozomis character. Changing a character from a very heart-warming, sympathetic and empathatic character into reckless one doesn`t make the character better in any way!

I do watch it up until now but I think the chapter 1 of the saga is already botched. I do think Shenmue II is a bit more straight forward and action-oriented so my hopes are, that I can enjoyed it for that alone.
Can't say I agree at all, but if you were someone who wanted it to be 1:1 with the games, I can understand why you'd feel like that.

I'm personally fine with the liberties being taking (even if they're big ones) because to me the Shenmue games and Shenmue the Animation are two totally separate things which are allowed to go their own way. I'm not one for drawing major comparisons between the two.

I do hope you can find some enjoyment in the rest of the episodes though!

Speaking for myself personally, it's a bit of a cop out to think the anime is the anime and the game is the game. I want it to dipict the best parts of the source material and nail then, but I suppose not everyone would agree on what the best parts are.

That said maybe in the next episode we'll see more of Ine San trying to dissuade Ryo from leaving them, as the reality hits her that he's after vengeance as Yamagshi San suspects. I'd like them to delve into and dipict the complex feelings of Ryo leaving his home.

Speaking for myself personally, it's a bit of a cop out to think the anime is the anime and the game is the game.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but... that's literally the case though? I'm not sure how it's a cop out at all haha

Idk, as you said - it's all on a personal level, but I just don't see the point of being a purist when this is such a big chance to explore new avenues with the franchise.

Suppose it's just a fundamental difference in the way we view things.

I think Ren was quite threatening in those early chapters of Shenmue II, he even stabs Ryo if you fail the QTE. He had a bit of a menacing edge, I'd like it the anime leans on that, that Ryo is making questionable allies to pursue his revenge.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to how they handle Ren & Joy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but... that's literally the case though? I'm not sure how it's a cop out at all haha

Idk, as you said - it's all on a personal level, but I just don't see the point of being a purist when this is such a big chance to explore new avenues with the franchise.

Suppose it's just a fundamental difference in the way we view things.
Well after all it's an adaptation, there's a shared story baseline, source, that people have different opinions on how it should be executed. For me, a purist is a critic who likes complaining that a character's costume is a bit of a different colour, trivial changes. Criticising how characters' arcs are adapted, I see that as more general and insightful criticism.

Well after all it's an adaptation, there's a shared story baseline, source, that people have different opinions on how it should be executed. For me, a purist is a critic who likes complaining that a character's costume is a bit of a different colour, trivial changes. Criticising how characters' arcs are adapted, I see that as more general and insightful criticism.
I mean one thing we can kinda objectively agree on, is that the aesthetics of this series is spot on! The cherry on top would be a tomato though :p

At the end of the day this is a different Ryo than in the game and I can totally understand people not liking that. He's a more competent friend, more emotionally available. He's just as motivated, but less grief-stricken. Ryo comes across as depressed in the game, like he's isolating himself from those he loves. Not so in the anime. It's a "cooler" representation of him, but also a more relatable representation. And honestly, it was smart of them to do that, because game Ryo wouldn't make a good anime protagonist. It doesn't change the fact that it isn't the exact Ryo we grew up with.
Being a different Ryo is one thing. I don't find this iteration of Ryo to be a compelling character at all, and I don't see much value in whatever arc they appear to be going with. Having him merely hide some designs for revenge under the guise of investigating Iwao's past during this arc is not satisfying to me. It essentially de-emphasizes Ryo's story in order to emphasize the mysteries. Probably the majority of fans disagree with this, but to me, Shenmue is not about the mysteries introduced, but about Ryo's personal journey. The mysteries around the mirrors and such are more just hooks. The poem in the Project Berkley video and OST liner notes are part of what make me feel this way; It outlines the major progression of the story through Ryo's personal growth.

Is the last attack in this gif the block you are referring to? Twisting your arm like that so you block with the outside of your forearm is legit, if you can time it so you 'twist' your wrist into it as it makes contact, it can really hurt the other person.
The one just before the last knife hand stab. To clarify, it's not that it isn't a legitimate block, it's that he uses the wrong block/arm. If Guizhang were striking with an attack that is straight at Ryo's face/chest, then that inside block would be more sensible. That's not what Guizhang does, though. He's sweeping his knife hand in at the left side of Ryo's jaw line, and Ryo throws up an inside block from the opposite side of his body with the right arm. Guizhang should have layed Ryo out here, unless he intentionally misses Ryo by sweeping in front of his face. Ryo needed to pivot right, and throw up an outside block with his left arm at least to block this attack. Blocking with the right arm was pointless, and only worked because anime--.

In a number of instances in the animation, Ryo has demonstrated some pretty poor form, though. This one just annoys me the most since it's technically in every episode.

I actually enjoyed this episode the most of any so far, but otherwise I am totally with you on Ryo. To me the anime has kind of missed the point, but general audiences probably aren't that interested in a more introspective story.

I kind of enjoyed the idea of Ryo and Guizhang knocking each other out with dueling axe kicks, though, even if it doesn't make much practical sense.

A very crucial character in Shenmue 1 is essentially nothing in this anime. That`s just objectively bad.
It's not objectively bad -- it's objectively different and you subjectively don't like it :p

De-emphasising people's concerns about Ryo works for me at this point in the story because this isn't a version of Ryo who's depressed and filled with rage in the same way. The revenge angle is there but the mystery of Iwao and his death is front and centre.

It essentially de-emphasizes Ryo's story in order to emphasize the mysteries. Probably the majority of fans disagree with this, but to me, Shenmue is not about the mysteries introduced, but about Ryo's personal journey.
I actually agree as far as the game is concerned, but this is a different medium. I just don't think the same stoic Ryo, who is constantly being told to be careful by everyone around him (only to blatantly ignore them) would make a good show.

Back