SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 4: Shackles Thread

One of the things about Ryo in the official anime site.

No matter how long the journey may take his determination to avenge his father will never fade. Along with his personality and his determination, he often acts without thinking through and gets into many fights during his journey. On the other hand, he meets many who help him and at times scold him. Ryo’s experiences in his journey lead to him growing as a person.

The anime is not over so we will probably see more times some characters scold Ryo like what happened with Yamagishi-san, Xiuying will probably see that Ryo want revenge and maybe other characters in Hong Kong as well, was not something bad to me that Ine-san and Fuku-san understood and respected Ryo's decisions in the anime faster, Fuku-san and Ine-san in the anime don't know that Ryo want revenge, maybe in the next episode something will happen about this.

It is different from the game? yeah, but just because is different from the game this do not mean that is bad to me. Shenmue is about Ryo's journey and i'm seeing that in the anime as well. The revenge is there but in a different way and now Ryo question more things about his father.

i think Xiuying will know about the revenge and will try to stop Ryo, maybe in the Hong Kong part we will really see Ryo more aggressive about wanting revenge, one of the reasons i think this will happen is because of the story with Xiuying and Ziming.

At the end of the day i will always have the games, if i miss the games version i can always play, to me is okay seeing a different version of Shenmue, and the anime is expading more things about the story and lore of Shenmue like the ChiYou plate, the tournament in the first episode, Shenmue III characters in the anime with Shenhua and much more, one media complement the other and this is good.

I love the games but i really don't want this version to be 100% like the games, and to me the anime team are being faithful to the original material in many ways, i don't know exactly what i will see in the anime and this is good in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's not objectively bad -- it's objectively different and you subjectively don't like it :p

De-emphasising people's concerns about Ryo works for me at this point in the story because this isn't a version of Ryo who's depressed and filled with rage in the same way. The revenge angle is there but the mystery of Iwao and his death is front and centre.

I actually agree as far as the game is concerned, but this is a different medium. I just don't think the same stoic Ryo, who is constantly being told to be careful by everyone around him (only to blatantly ignore them) would make a good show.
The issue, as I stated in another post beforehand, is that even though his motivation is different, his actions are essentially the same. It`s just more disturbing considering he does what he does in the anime in neglect of consequences, and also in an essentially disinterested environment aside of one side-character. I`m sorry but I stand by it: that`s way worse...

Back