Shenmue The Animation S01E05 Equal - Analysis

Boat.jpg

Welcome to my Shenmue anime Analysis, this time for episode 5 Equal, this Analysis will have SPOILERS of the anime and the games. The episode begin with the fight of Ryo VS Guizhang while Terry and his goons are watching the fight. this scene complement what we saw in the ending of the previous episode, we saw the full fight now and i enjoyed that it happened this way.

After that Goro see what Ryo did about the number 17, he realized that this is the warehouse of the Mad Angels. Goro decides to go there and he saw Nozomi and overheard the conversation with Terry's goons about Ryo fighthing Guizhang. After that Goro go to the place where Mai-chan stay and explained the situation for her, she had an idea and said for Goro to follow her. This detail about Ryo changing the number to 17 for Goro to see is a nice detail, this is not in the game but i like this detail in the anime version, really interesting.

Goro follow her and both arrive near the forklifts, Goro asked what they will do in the place of Ryo's job and Mai said that they will crush the Mad Angels with the forklift, in this moment Mark appeared, Mark remembered that Goro is Ryo's friend. I really thought we would see only Goro in this scene so i was surprised to see Mai and Mark with Goro, was a interesting change. In the next scene we see more of Ryo VS Guizhang, we saw the full fight this time, after that Ryo and Guizhang fall on the ground while Terry is laughing like what happened in the ending of the previous episode. I love that the episode started with the fight and this time we saw the full fight. After that we back to Mark, Mai and Goro.

GuizhangRyo.jpg

Mai wanted to drive the forklift but Mark asked if she did this before, she said no and that's not going to stop her, then Mark said that he can't let someone with zero experience take the forklift and that he will do it. In the warehouse 17 we see Nozomi with Terry's goons, his goons hear noises and ask what this is, then we see Mark entering the warehouse with the forklift in an awesome forklift action where Mark defeated these 2 members of the Mad Angels.

While Mark did this Mai and Goro helped Nozomi, Mark said for them to get up in the forklift, that forklift action with Mark is awesome, was really nice seeing Mark, Goro and Mai helping Ryo and Nozomi in this version. I love the game version but i think is an interesting change for this version, i don't have problems with these changes. Mark said that he will go straight forward the entrance to the port, on the way they saw Ryo and Guizhang on the ground, Goro thought that Ryo died, Terry said for one of his goons to finish Ryo and Guizhang, in this moment Ryo and Guizhang got up and Ryo's friends were relieved about that.

After that we see a flashback of Ryo VS Guizhang, it was in this scene that it is explained more what really happened in the fight, Guizhang understood what Ryo was doing and then they did a fake fight and after that they fall on the ground, we saw in detail what happened in this fight, i enjoyed this scene and the other scenes of the fight, one of the reasons is because this scene complement what we saw in the ending of the previous episode, now we saw the full fight and this explained a lot of things for the viewers.

Terry call his other goons, meaning that now is time for the 70 man battle. Ryo tell to Goro to take Nozomi and get out of there, then Mark said that Ryo and Guizhang can't fight alone like this, Ryo said for them to go and the others agreed, then Terry said for his goons to bring them back, after that Ryo and Guizhang started the fight.

GuizhandAndRyo2.jpg

I love the 70 man battle here i just thought it was faster, the 70 man battle is more intense in the game but i like the anime version as well, is just that this version could be a little longer. Mark, Nozomi, Goro and Mai arrived at the exit but Nozomi was worried about Ryo, so Mark said "let's go back." After that we see Ryo saying that he have no more reason to fight the Mad Angels because Nozomi is safe, so he will let Guizhang resolve this score with Terry on their own, Guizhang agreed, Terry tried to attack Guizhang but failed, then Terry tried to hit Guizhang with a baseball bat, at this moment Ryo wanted to interfere but Guizhang said no, that he still got plenty of fight left in him, after that Guizhang used the move Swallow Dive and defeated Terry, this part is similar to the one in the game but with small differences, i enjoyed this part in the anime.

Terry is defeated, Ryo and Guizhang decide to leave but after that Terry ask if Ryo is after Lan Di, Ryo said yes, then Terry said that if Ryo think beating the likes of them is some kind of major victory, that then Ryo obviously don't know who he is up against, that when Ryo get to Hong Kong they will be waiting, that he guarantee that Ryo won't make it back alive. While Terry said all of this things we see Lan Di arriving in Hong Kong and we see characters that looks like Dou Niu and his goons.

HongKong.jpg

After that we see Guizhang and Ryo talking, Guizhang asking what Ryo will do now, if Ryo will go after Lan Di, then Ryo say that he can't give up, that he will find some way to go to Hong Kong. We see Guizhang walking saying he will speak with his father Master Chen to convince him to help Ryo, for Ryo to call him again. Guizhang was leaving but Ryo said... "Guizhang... thank you" then Guizhang smiled for Ryo and then Guizhang leave, this scene is similar to the one we see in the game. In the next scene we see Ryo talking with Goro, Mai, Mark and Nozomi, Ryo thanked them and was happy to see that Nozomi is okay, Nozomi said sorry and thanks for Ryo but Ryo think this was all his fault, that he dragged them into his own problems, after that he said sorry and Nozomi said is okay. This scene with Ryo talking with his friends is only in the anime version and was a nice scene.

After this scene we see Ryo in the motorcycle with Nozomi then a flashback begin, the same talk Ryo had with Guizhang but from the point of view of Nozomi, she was happy running because she wanted to talk to Ryo but she heard Ryo saying to Guizhang about going to Hong Kong, she stopped running and we see Mark, Goro and Mai near her. The flashback ends and we see Nozomi opening her eyes, she was remembering what happened, she thanked Ryo for everything, then Ryo remember that she still haven't talked about that advice she wanted from him, then she said for Ryo not to worry, that it's okay now, that she already... made up her mind, then Ryo look at her but she tries to hide, and this way the motorcycle scene ended. I like the anime version but i felt so sad that Nozomi in this version was not able to express her feelings for Ryo and about deciding to go to Canada, i think i prefer the game version in relation to this but i have no problems with the anime version about these things, it is a different version of the story and i'm okay with that, but i felt so sad for Nozomi here and in the goodbye scene near the ending of the episode.

RyoandNozomi.jpg

Some Days Later
Shin Yokosuka Port

After some days we see Ryo in the harbour talking with his boss Ryozo Yada, he was saying that his time there was short, but he thanked for everything. Mark was there hearing everything, he asked if Ryo was leaving, Ryo said yeah, that it was good working with him, then Mark said to Ryo for him to just keep walking down his own path, that he know Ryo will be fine, Ryo thanked Mark, Mark smiled and the scened ended.

In the next scene we see Ryo talking with Mai and Goro in the harbour about their marriage, Goro saying that him and Mai been going out for awhile, then Ryo tried to understand how this thing about marriage so quickly. Goro explained that after everything that happened he kinda popped the question, that watching Mai in action while they rescued Nozomi made him realize that Mai is really the only girl for him, then Ryo ask Mai if she is okay with this, Mai replied yes, that there's never a dull moment with Goro around, then Ryo said... "But we are talking about Goro" and Goro smiled in a shy way. After that we see Ryo, Ine-san and Fuku-san outside the Hazuki Residence, near the door.

We see Ine-san and Fuku sad but Ryo said for them to cut it out because he swear that he will come back once he find out the truth, then we see Ine-san and Fuku-san touching Ryo's hand, Fuku-san say to Ryo that Ryo can do it, that he will find proof that his father is innocent, that they don't have doubt about that, Ine-san say for Ryo for him to please stay safe. Interesting seeing Ryo saying he will come back to Yokosuka in this version, in the end of the Shenmue story Ryo will come back to Japan or another thing will happen? i always think about this. In the next scene we see Ryo walking while seeing his hand, looks like Ryo was moved about what Ine-san and Fuku-san did with him.

Ryo.jpg

Ryo see Nozomi near Sakuragaoka Park and decided to ask what's up, she asked if is today that he is leaving for Hong Kong, Ryo said yes and then Nozomi said that she know how Ryo are with these things, so she won't say a word, but to please take her amulet with him, she expalined that she made a wish on this amulet for Ryo to be safe no matter what happens, Ryo thanked for the amulet then Nozomi say... "See you again... some day" Ryo responded "Yeah." Nozomi then watched Ryo going away and we see 2 tears falling the ground. Like i said before i felt so sad for Nozomi about everything.

After that we see Ryo in the harbour looking at the boat, then Guizhang say for him that his foolishness really knows no bounds, Master Chen is with him, Ryo thanked for arranging his passage to Hong Kong. Master Chen said that he did nothing, that was Guizhang who persuaded him, but that he can't allow Ryo to go alone, then Master Chen explained that Guizhang will go with him, that Guizhang will be twice the ally, and that they have an interest in keeping tabs on the Chi You Men's activity. Master Chen ask when Ryo arrive in Hong Kong, how he search will prooced, Ryo explained that he will start by looking for Yuanda Zhu, Ryo asked if Master Chen know where he can find him, Master Chen replied that he is not keen to his present whereabouts, but what he can do is introduce for Ryo someone trustworthy that may be of help.

After Master Chen said this a set of heavy lead pipes suddenly come crashing down them, Guizhang push his father to protect him but then some pipes fall in Guizhang's leg and we see that Guizhang is injured because of that, then Chai appears saying that Ryo will not go to Hong Kong, because he will lose, Ryo ask why Chai is doing there and he say that he will take the mirror with him and started attacking Ryo, but Ryo was not having difficulties in this fight, then Chai asked why Ryo is so strong now, Ryo replied that he was not going to lose to anyone, not until he find the truth about his father and his death, Chai tried to attack Ryo one more time and Ryo do the Swallow Dive move to kick Chai, Chai fell into the sea, the scene is similar to the games about some things but with some differences, i enjoy this scene.

After defeating Chai Ryo runs to see if Guizhang is okay but he see that his leg is broken just like in the game, Master Chen said that Guizhang cannot travel with his leg like this but he want to go, he thinks Ryo cannot face Chi You Men without him. Ryo say for him to stay in Yokosuka, he gets angry and say this injury don't make him useless, but Ryo think its better for Guizhang to stay with his father. Then Ryo say in Mandarin or Cantonese Dojen. Zoigin (Thank You. See you again) and Master Chen reply with Lutu yukuai (Have a good trip.) It is a beautiful detail, then Ryo and Guizhang shake hands for a moment and then they part ways.

GuizhangMasterChen.jpg

We see the boat living the harbour while Guizhang and Master Chen are talking, Master Chen say he was hoping that Guizhang speding some time on his own would allow him a chance to grow, Guizhang say that staying was the right choice, that he feel like there is room for him to grow in Yokosuka, Master Chen thought that Guizhang hated being stuck at his side, but Guizhang said no, that no matter what happens he will always be his father's son, Master Chen finally accepted being closer to his son again and letting Guizhang call him father. In my opinion these moments of Guizhang with Master Chen added so much to story, it gave more depth and character development for Guizhang and about why he helped Ryo, it gave more depth about Guizhang's relation with his father and much more, we saw new things about these characters in the anime and to me it is wonderful. Beautiful moments in the anime and beautiful end to Guizhang's arc in the anime.

After that we see Guizhang remembering his talk with Ryo after the 70 man battle, Ryo thanked him, after that Guizhang said... "Wrong again. I shoud be thanking you." We see Ryo on the boat with Nozomi's amulet, Yuanda Zhu's letter and a Cantonese study book, he looked at the sunset and he said... "Just you wait... Lan Di!" then the episode ended this way.

What we can expect to see in the next episode?

In my opinion it is possible that maybe we will see some scenes on the boat, Ryo getting to know the other parts of the boat, Ryo talking with some characters and things like that, and maybe we will see in anime form the chapter 4 of the manga side story. I have a project to write books telling the entire Journey of Akira/Ryo in detail with the VFRPG concept arts and other informations as inspiration, i started writing the first book, the Yokosuka chapter, after that i will do a separate book about the boat chapter. Maybe i’m one of the few people that think that with good imagination someone can create a beautiful boat chapter with interesting characters, character development, bad situations in the trip, an important master for Ryo on the boat, beautiful scenes and much more. I don’t think this will happen in the anime because the anime is 13 episodes, but i think it would be nice to see at least some scenes on the boat.

I also think that in this episode we will see more scenes with Shenhua in Bailu Village and more scenes with Lan Di in Hong Kong, Lan Di in his search for Yuanda Zhu, i hope we can see more about Yuanda Zhu in the anime as well. Maybe in the Hong Arc Ryo will be more aggressive about revenge, it is possible.

It is also possible that maybe the boat part was cut out for the anime and we will see a similar scene of the opening scene of Shenmue II with the boat arriving in Hong Kong. We will probably see Ryo meeting Joy and after that Wong robbing Ryo’s bag, Ryo searching for the bag and after that retrieving the bag, Ryo going to the hotel, probably in this episode Ryo will search for Lishao Tao, i think in this episode Ryo will learn that to meet Lishao Tao he need to learn the 4 Wude first.

300px-Jianmin.jpg

Maybe in this episode Ryo will met Tao and he will learn the Wude Gon with him, i don’t know if Ryo will learn all the 4 Wude in this episode, all i know is that learning the 4 Wude is a important part of Shenmue II story in my opinion and i really don’t want to see this being cut out of the anime, i think the 4 Wude will be in the anime and maybe the episode will end with Ryo learning that Lishao Tao is Xiuying, i really don't know exactly what part could be better to end this episode, all i know is that im looking forward for the next episode.

What NPCs you want to see in the next episode? share in the comments bellow

I want to see Xiaomei Ding and her mother Jiangyu Ding, maybe Chai will appear on the boat. I want to see Wong, Tao, Hanhui Lui, Xiuying, Fangmei, Ren and many others but i think Xiuying, Fangmei and Ren will appear in episode 7. I think the next episode will happen a lot of things and Ryo will learn important things. I'm looking forward to see how the anime team did Hong Kong in the anime.

shenmue-remaster-city.jpg

Final Thoughts

With this episode the anime team put together the rescue of Nozomi with the 70 man battle, in the game it's not like that, in the game Ryo save Nozomi first then Ryo go home, the next day Ryo lose his job, learn Tornado Kick with Tom, the goodbye scene with Tom and only after that Ryo VS Guizhang fight and the 70 man battle.

It is interesting how the anime team put together the rescue of Nozomi in the same part of the 70 man battle.

This episode had a lot of changes if we compare to the game, i love the anime but some things i think is more emotional in the game, because to me Nozomi's Confession for Ryo, Ryo saying he don’t know yet how he feels about Nozomi, and everything about Nozomi and Tom leaving Japan is emotional and much more, in the anime it is clear to me that Nozomi decided to go to Canada but Ryo don't know about that. I like the anime version as well, it is a different version and i'm okay with that.

i love the game version but for the anime version i think it is a nice touch to give more screen time for the other characters, in my opinion was nice to see the other characters in action like this helping Ryo and Nozomi.

It is possible that in this version Ryo resigned from his job instead of being fired, that his boss Ryozo Yada and other people will never know that Ryo, Guizhang, Mark, Goro and Mai did all of this things and got rid of The Mad Angels.

The anime added even more things to the story and lore of Shenmue like more development for Guizhang with his father, more development for Goro, Yamagishi-san, Mark, more screen time for Shenhua, for Lan Di, Nozomi, the tournament in the first episode and much more, we lose in some areas but we win in others, the Yokosuka Arc had many surprises and it was like seeing the Shenmue story for the first time, was sad that some things from the games was cut out like Shozo Mizuki, Eri taking the pictures of Ryo and Nozomi in the Harbour, Tom teaching the Tornado Kick for Ryo and leaving Japan and much more, but i understand why the anime team had to cut out these scene, but maybe the anime team did flashbacks about these scenes in the next episodes, i still have hope that we will see some of these things as flashbacks.

One thing i miss in this episode is Ryo learning the moves with Tom, Shozo Mizuki and Master Chen. Tom only appeared in the first episode, i wished for more screen time for Tom but at least he appeared in the anime.

To me Ryo improving as a martial artist is a big thing for the story so was sad to me that these parts are not in the anime, this is one of the reasons why i think that the anime with 24 episodes or even with 35 episodes like Virtua Fighter anime would have been even better, more time to do a lot of things in the anime, but i really understand this cuts and changes in the anime version because is 13 episodes and so far is a beautiful adaptation.

The anime is 13 episodes so i really understand, i would prefer the Yokosuka Arc ending in episode 6 but i understand why the anime team ended in episode 5. I love Shenmue so much so i would prefer the anime with 24 episodes with a lot of details, but just the fact that we are getting a Shenmue anime with 13 episodes is amazing, i'm enjoying and i'm so happy that the Shenmue franchise is alive, and i have hope that one day we will see the conclusion of this wonderful journey in the games and in the anime as well.

Some details i prefer the games version but other details i prefer the anime version. The anime is a beautiful companion to the games, and also stands on its own as a good way to experience this wonderful journey. Like i said other time, the anime complement the games and the games complement the anime, if someone want to have the complete Shenmue experience with all the details then i recommend the anime and the games.

The Yokosuka Arc is over... you enjoy this arc in the anime version? now is time for the Hong Kong arc, i think this arc will be beautiful and intense. Next week i will come back for my Analysis of Episode 6 Dignified, thank you all for reading, bye bye. ~

RyoBoat.jpg

Last edited:
Back