Shenmue III in magazines

I'm really pleased the vast majority of magazine coverage is positive. They seem to have a good grasp on what YsNet has managed to achieve with the budget they have. There are few snarky comments about the look of the game and are more interested in what you'll actually be able to do in it.

Only a minority of previews I've seen were particularly negative, and those writers gave the impression that no amount of time with the game would have changed their minds. Extending the length of the demo would have reduced the number of outlets able to play it, so I think the trade-off worked out in the end.

Agreed.

Anywho really nice to see Shenmue III and Shenmue stories in general in these magazines. It's not being ignored but not treated as a zoo attraction either (think something curious but not taken seriously). Bodes well.

Only a minority of previews I've seen were particularly negative, and those writers gave the impression that no amount of time with the game would have changed their minds. Extending the length of the demo would have reduced the number of outlets able to play it, so I think the trade-off worked out in the end.

Erf yes and no. 15 minutes are enough for Shenmue vets. Because it's enough to feel what's Shenmue and what's not. But I feel like it was far too short for others. 15 minutes is barely enough time to understand how one aspect of the game works.

Maybe so, but as I said, it worked out in the end. They could have extended the demo length and (maybe) turned a couple of negative previews into positive ones, but it might have been at the expense of five other positive ones that consequently didn't get a look-in.

There was an Akira game on the Famicom IIRC. Someone should contact that writer.

@spud1987 It is nice for sure that magazines are more postive than websites, no doubt about it, but it does not surprise me at all. The old school magazines contain the least amount of drama, politics and controversies. Because the core audience of this old fashioned media does not crave for this nonsense. Only Hardcore gamer read magazines, websites on the other hand are also visited by political activists disguised as gamers.

In the next M! Games issue that is going to be released on the 23th of august, there will a interview with Yu Suzuki according the preview . Looking forward to it already

@spud1987 It is nice for sure that magazines are more postive than websites, no doubt about it, but it does not surprise me at all. The old school magazines contain the least amount of drama, politics and controversies. Because the core audience of this old fashioned media does not crave for this nonsense. Only Hardcore gamer read magazines, websites on the other hand are also visited by political activists disguised as gamers.

In the next M! Games issue that is going to be released on the 23th of august, there will a interview with Yu Suzuki according the preview . Looking forward to it already
That's awesome. Right in time for Gamescom

Yea I'm noticing that Magazine have better reporting quality compared to websites.

Having to sell copies of your issues vs Click-baiting for clicks is the driving factor difference between integrity and credibility vs hot-takes & misinformation.

The current issue (167) of Official PlayStation Magazine in the UK has a Shenmue III preview from Gamescom.

If you're only collecting glowing articles, then don't be fooled like I was by the teaser on the cover, referring to it as "Why Shenmue III Will Be A Classic." It's actually a lot more mixed than that would imply, or than you would expect from an official mag previewing an exclusive. While it's probably positive overall, I doubt many readers will come away thinking this is a game to keep on their radar.

Issue 339 of leading Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas has a positive piece about Shenmue III, based on information up to around Gamescom. The original games are also mentioned briefly in a Dreamcast anniversary feature.

hobby-consolas.jpg

This mag's got a history of cynicism towards the game, so it's notable that there's hardly any criticism in the new article.

That's a insult to everything good, and right in the universe.

Shenmue barely gets a visible title, while hack job Kojima, and Death stranding takes up nearly the entire cover, with Kojima's name emblazoned on the side.
The game may deserve the front cover of the magazine, but I agree with you.
Kojima has a ton of d?*k riders.
Don't get me wrong, I like him and his games but damn people put him on pedestal!

"Kojima is a genius" is a sentense that I heard so many times that I'm sick of it.
Somehow, people must feel pride and smart that they recognise the genius that Kojima is. lol

If you say that kojima is a genius you must really know what you're talking about.

Tell me right here if George Miller (great film director) Isn't talking about Yu Suzuki and Shenmue?!
Yu suzuki in his years was way more influential than kojima.
And his steps twards inovation were much bolder than kojima.
To make a game with a beautiful story and not overly viollent is much more risky in this world than
to make a strange story that gets you nowhere and filled with that which the world loves more, guns and blood.

The game may deserve the front cover of the magazine, but I agree with you.
Kojima has a ton of d?*k riders.
Don't get me wrong, I like him and his games but damn people put him on pedestal!

"Kojima is a genius" is a sentense that I heard so many times that I'm sick of it.
Somehow, people must feel pride and smart that they recognise the genius that Kojima is. lol

If you say that kojima is a genius you must really know what you're talking about.

Sigh that he does.

Lol yea, pretty sure that's what It's all about. Kojima is known for his mind fuckery, so I'm sure there's tons of people out there, trying to pretend they get Kojima(lol seriously, if you get what's going on in Kojima's head, you should be locked up, as you are literally insane, and a danger to everyone)

Tell me right here if George Miller (great film director) Isn't talking about Yu Suzuki and Shenmue?!
Yu suzuki in his years was way more influential than kojima.
And his steps twards inovation were much bolder than kojima.
To make a game with a beautiful story and not overly viollent is much more risky in this world than
to make a strange story that gets you nowhere and filled with that which the world loves more, guns and blood.

Omg kill me now... Oh wait Shenmue 3 is coming out, can't die yet.

Yea, it bloody sounds like they're talking about Yu Suzuki, not the C, if not D grade Kojima. I'm sorry to inform whoever made that video, but walking over a empty field, activating markers, and doing fetch quests have been done before, It's nothing new.

Being some weird saregant mother for lord knows what reason, doesn't = changing the face of gaming lol, It's just a weird story/plot device, nothing more.

Last edited:
The Death Stranding cover is a good news to me because Shenmue 3 may have room for next month that way. I don't think it's a review inside or I missed the info about journalists playing Shenmue 3 right now.

Sigh that he does.

Lol yea, pretty sure that's what It's all about. Kojima is known for his mind fuckery, so I'm sure there's tons of people out there, trying to pretend they get Kojima(lol seriously, if you get what's going on in Kojima's head, you should be locked up, as you are literally insane, and a danger to everyone)

Omg kill me now... Oh wait Shenmue 3 is coming out, can't die yet.

Yea, it bloody sounds like they're talking about Yu Suzuki, not the C, if not D grade Kojima. I'm sorry to inform whoever made that video, but walking over a empty field, activating markers, and doing fetch quests have been done before, It's nothing new.

Being some weird saregant mother for lord knows what reason, doesn't = changing the face of gaming lol, It's just a weird story/plot device, nothing more.
Can't say I agee with everything you said but yeah hahaha. (I like kojima and most of the metal gears)
But Suzuki was way more influential than Kojima.
The thing is, Suzuki stopped working almost when the social networks started to be a thing .
That many years without making any new big game was not good for his following and his carrer.
If suzuki continued to make new games, and if the shenmue franchise didn't ended up on an embargo, he would have
a following perhaps as big as kojima.

First 3D racing game thats was actually good? Suzuki.
First 3D fighting game? Suzuki.
First 3D modeling using textures intead of baseline color polygons? Suzuki.
First 3D open world sandbox game? Suzuki
fFirst video game to use true motion-capture technology ? Suzuki.
Need more?!

(not to mention is super successfull arcade games we all know and love.)

Kojima made great games. Yes he did.
But did he break boundaries like Suzuki? No way.

Suzuki created new things, the industry followed. As simple as that.

Can't say I agee with everything you said but yeah hahaha. (I like kojima and most of the metal gears)
But Suzuki was way more influential than Kojima.
The thing is, Suzuki stopped working almost when the social networks started to be a thing .
That many years without making any new big game was not good for his following and his carrer.
If suzuki continued to make new games, and if the shenmue franchise didn't ended up on an embargo, he would have
a following perhaps as big as kojima.

First 3D racing game thats was actually good? Suzuki.
First 3D fighting game? Suzuki.
First 3D modeling using textures intead of baseline color polygons? Suzuki.
First 3D open world sandbox game? Suzuki
fFirst video game to use true motion-capture technology ? Suzuki.
Need more?!

(not to mention is super successfull arcade games we all know and love.)

Kojima made great games. Yes he did.
But did he break boundaries like Suzuki? No way.

Suzuki created new things, the industry followed. As simple as that.

True it doesn't do any good for Yu's notoriety, that he hasn't made anything in awhile, but It's not like Kojima has been doing much either(just the once a gen MGS game, that's it, and they're not ground breaking masterpieces either. I would play a Tenchu game over MGS games any day, just saying)

Wait a second, lets not gloss over the arcade bit, because that's arguably Yu Suzuki's biggest achievement, he single handedly saved the arcade industry :), which btw also greatly benefits the social stability of the entire country of Japan

The onlything in all of media that can even be compared to that, is the Inuyasha anime, which changed the entire music industry as well as the anime industry, among other things.

Then we ofcourse have the Shenmue games, that are packed with ground breaking achievements, most of which haven't been matched yet, and it was the first 3D open world game(It's so insane that the games that created the genre, is still so far ahead of everything else, almost 20 years after they came out)..

Yea Kojima is most definitely not a boundary breaker, he follows natural trends, and adds his twist to such. There's nothing wrong with that, infact I wish more developers would do that, instead of literally copying a successful game of the hour, but he's no Suzuki, Yu Suzuki is on a whole other lv, and he thinks so far out of the box, the box might as well not even exist..

Last edited:
Back