Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Doesn't look gross to me, it just looks like a normal indicator.
Same. I think the fade-in as you approach helps a lot, and honestly collecting herbs would be fucking impossible without it.

I prefer this to an alternative like... I dunno, Witcher/Batman vision.

This was one such moment in the hour I recorded...I snipped it with PotPlayer at 0.5 speed so tell me what you think.

This was me hitting the counter elbow attack as one of the fighters seemed to be going for a jab...maybe I'm wrong in this, but the animation shows the guy going in for a jab as I hit the Counter Elbow Assault.

Now, I don't know if you can consider it a counter attack or not. But to me at least, it suggest you can time out some things with it. There is still the raw basics of frame data going on here.

It's obviously not the way it used to be where Ryo grabbed them then performed the counter, but there does seem to be at least some form of timing...at least to me...but maybe I'm completely wrong on this...let me know. Could this be considered a counter or is this an enemy with his guard down? (genuinely asking, not trying to be a smart ass)

As I've said before, I really wish it had more time and money poured into it because the foundations are there if only it had the time and money.
Do you like the combat so far man?

I do, I'm kind of digging it. It's not perfect by any means, but it's far exceeding my expectations and is actually really kind of fun to play...at least I'm enjoying it.
Exactly what I think. Super fun. And i like the strategy a lot. Meaning the block and the distance judgment.
If it has a big progresssion, I think it will be even better that Shenmue 1 and 2. (Sorry to all virtua fighter fans out there) haha

I just think it fits the game better. And the camera is a lot better!

This was one such moment in the hour I recorded...I snipped it with PotPlayer at 0.5 speed so tell me what you think.

This was me hitting the counter elbow attack as one of the fighters seemed to be going for a jab...maybe I'm wrong in this, but the animation shows the guy going in for a jab as I hit the Counter Elbow Assault.

Now, I don't know if you can consider it a counter attack or not. But to me at least, it suggest you can time out some things with it. There is still the raw basics of frame data going on here.

It's obviously not the way it used to be where Ryo grabbed them then performed the counter, but there does seem to be at least some form of timing...at least to me...but maybe I'm completely wrong on this...let me know. Could this be considered a counter or is this an enemy with his guard down? (genuinely asking, not trying to be a smart ass)

As I've said before, I really wish it had more time and money poured into it because the foundations are there if only it had the time and money.

Got a YouTube link?

Exactly what I think. Super fun. And i like the strategy a lot. Meaning the block and the distance judgment.
If it has a big progresssion, I think it will be even better that Shenmue 1 and 2. (Sorry to all virtua fighter fans out there) haha

I just think it fits the game better. And the camera is a lot better!

I don't know if I'd go that far but I'm a Virtua Fighter guy and this game is never gonna best one of the greatest pure fighting games of all time (VF2, VF4 or VF5)

As much as I'm enjoying it, it's not gonna best some of the greatest fighting games of all time. :D

But I do think it works and is enjoyable none the less. It's the very simple basics of Rock, Paper, Scissors at its core, but fun to learn and fun to play (so far at least)

Last edited:
Got a YouTube link?

Ask and you shall receive. Again, I don't know if you can consider it a proper counter or an enemy with his guard down, but at the time I noticed he was going for a jab or a hit and so I hit the counter elbow assault and it pushed him back before he could land his blow.

Counter, Timing or Guard Down?

Consensus?

I think the sparring could've been a part of what concerned people about the combat at E3, because you don't make proper contact. People may not have realised the soft contact is on purpose and only happens during sparring, not the real fights.

The whole fighting system is about timing and control I feel. Learning when to strike and when to evade/block. Yes it is basic on some levels but it's exceeded what I was thinking we would get.

Personally I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

The whole fighting system is about timing and control I feel. Learning when to strike and when to evade/block. Yes it is basic on some levels but it's exceeded what I was thinking we would get.

Personally I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Same here. For what it's worth, I do think it's a been a lot of fun to dick around with for the last two nights.

Yeah, I also enjoy the focus on distance and timing. I think skilled players will be using the double-tap evade a lot, which feels really nice imo.

Ask and you shall receive. Again, I don't know if you can consider it a proper counter or an enemy with his guard down, but at the time I noticed he was going for a jab or a hit and so I hit the counter elbow assault and it pushed him back before he could land his blow.

Counter, Timing or Guard Down?

Consensus?

Very nice. Have you got a YouTube link of the hour of combat? It seemed like you really grasp the fighting system when I was watching your previous video.

I think the sparring could've been a part of what concerned people about the combat at E3, because you don't make proper contact. People may not have realised the soft contact is on purpose and only happens during sparring, not the real fights.
Hmm, I thought the lack of animation 'soft contact' was prevalent throughout all? IIRC it is like that with the bookie?

It
Just reading through the comments and could not be happier. It's like a launch day we have been waiting on for so long.

Can i ask, has no one else gotten rain yet? I mean i got it in my first playthrough and the textures on Ryo's jacket, the ground... ohly shit!

But, no one at all has seemed to metion it.
I got rain in my second play through and it was glorious

Hmm, I thought the lack of animation 'soft contact' was prevalent throughout all? IIRC it is like that with the bookie?
Huber said the fighting is definitely more impactful now compared to E3, so maybe, but there is a huge difference between sparring and fighting. So I can imagine someone trying the sparring and thinking that's how all the fights feel.

The fight with the bookie feels great in my opinion, especially if you've trained a bit.

The fight with the bookie feels great in my opinion, especially if you've trained a bit.
Same. Actually, I've started taking him on with no training now I feel a bit more competent with the combat.

He's obviously got a slight edge in stats, but IMO that makes it a more thrilling fight than just steamrolling him after some training.

Back