Votes: 8 10.7%

Votes: 3 4.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've never claimed that everyone else's opinion is wrong. Please refer me to where you think I did so and I will gladly clarify.
[...]
In terms of respecting other members, I don't think I've ever shown any signs of disrespect to anyone here, especially Peter, in fact, if you read my recent post you could see that clearly said :

I bet whoever claims that changing gameplay to 16:9 while keeping cut scenes in 4:3 was a "creative decision" and that Shenmue I and II code was barely running knows very little ( or probably nothing ) about coding nor cinematography.

This was not showing respect. This was certainly not "having a different opinion". This was saying "if you disagree with me you don't know what you're talking about".

Good riddance. Back to the topic:

This should get at least an 8.5, because although the game's not for everyone, it's certainly well-polished, with very few bugs and only minor annoyances; the port doesn't add much but appears to be competently done, and the price point is lower than most AAA games with more content than them.

But it won't get an 8.5 - it'll get a 7. And then the user score on aggregate sites that allow it will show a 9-10.

Personally I expect a few major sites to give it somewhere in the 5/10-7/10 range due to the voice acting and the fact that we're in an ADHD era where gamers want to move to the next part of the game as quickly as possible. Add in the fact there is no guns in the game also will bring down the score for some people.

Shenmue got meme'd to death even back in the early 2000's(sailors etc.) so I can only imagine that it's going to be tenfold. What I am not looking forward to is "blogs" and "opinion pieces" explaining that they don't understand why Shenmue fans feel the way they do about this series and then go out of their way to bash the game.

However I'm not focused on that, I'm focused on those that are open minded, give the game a chance, immerse themselves in the environments and get that same hunger for Shenmue III once they have went through the ending of II. If just one person is impacted by that and has that same anticipation towards III as we all do, then it's a job well done. For me personally, I have taken a few days off work and can't wait to play the re-releases. My only gripe is that there's no way to post high scores for QTE title as I play that game quite a bit. But oh well. Still not going to kill my mood.

We got what we got for around $25 with some nice upgrades to boot. Not bad.

However, I will say that Koralik and co. should stop trying to give silly excuses (e.g. “The code is broken!”) in order to explain why some features are absent. Let’s keep it real. This isn’t a “laziness” issue, or a technical one. It’s a “budget” issue.
Had Sega added another zero on their check, D3T probably would’ve delivered on everything and more. 4K gameplay; updated textures; 16:9 cutscenes; new models; online racing; etc; etc.

Then again, this is a franchise that is synonymous with “financial failure” to Sega. They’re certainly not going to give us the proverbial keys to the kingdom...just yet ;)

This.

Gauging from some of the stuff I have been seeing and my overall estimation of where things are I believe Shenmue re-release will be highly respected by the overall public actually, probably not so much by the critics expecting on average 6/10 reviews.

Critics will be far kinder than people here think, I believe. I'm expecting between 7 and 8s out of 10, unless there are serious technical issues we don't know about.

The small things the hardcore fans will nitpick over, the mainstream critics won't care about. They may pick up on cutscenes being 4:3, but I imagine that they won't actually deduct too many points for that and will review the game within the context of it being a budget, enhanced port of 18 ish year old games. I don't remember critics lambasting Grim Fandango Remastered for not supporting widescreen for example.

I expect very mixed reviews from the big gaming sites like IGN, etc. However, I expect good to great reviews from lots of smaller gaming Youtubers like Easy Allies (Michael Huber), Happy Console Gamer and others. User reviews on Amazon, Steam, etc. will also be great because Shenmue fans will be posting lots of positive reviews :D

I expect very mixed reviews from the big gaming sites like IGN, etc. However, I expect good to great reviews from lots of smaller gaming Youtubers like Easy Allies (Michael Huber), Happy Console Gamer and others. User reviews on Amazon, Steam, etc. will also be great because Shenmue fans will be posting lots of positive reviews :D
Keep an eye out over the next week as some YouTubers have got review copies already. Be interesting to see what the scores are early doors.

Whilst I expect sites like IGN and Gamespot might be a bit mixed, I expect a more nuanced and positive response from the more highbrow gaming media, like Eurogamer.

I am really confused why there is still a review embargo on this,when at the same time the yakuza games on ps4 always have reviews up at least 10 days before release.

Because Sega always puts up late embargoes on games they're not confident in. See Sonic Forces, Valkyria Revolution and Shining Resonance Refrain etc. Whilst games they're confident in (Yakuza series, Sonic Mania etc) have earlier embargoes.

Not that I'm saying the Shenmue Collection will be bad. Just that it's still up in the air how these games will be received now.

Can't wait for all of the idiotic Yakuza comparisons in literally every single review

@Robfozz I wouldn't call it idiotic. I remember one interview in particular where one of the devs spoke about the comparisons to Shenmue. He said summat along the lines of "we wanted to make a game that played on the strengths of it but also addressed the weaknesses".

The fact that it's had such a direct impact upon the series says a lot, so comparisons are fair, not unlike the comparisons between City to Chelsea and Barcelona.

@Robfozz I wouldn't call it idiotic. I remember one interview in particular where one of the devs spoke about the comparisons to Shenmue. He said summat along the lines of "we wanted to make a game that played on the strengths of it but also addressed the weaknesses".

The fact that it's had such a direct impact upon the series says a lot, so comparisons are fair, not unlike the comparisons between City to Chelsea and Barcelona.

That's nice of the developer to say that. Doesn't mean it's true, though. Yakuza doesn't build on Shenmue's strengths, it's a formulaic ARPG with random battle every 10 seconds. It's world is set up the same way regular ARPGs are, an overworld (Kamurocho), populated by respawning enemies (thugs), with a few stores that sell healing items and weapons. Mini-games and side quests are scattered here and there.

Compared to Shenmue, the gameplay is extremely different, it's mostly a detective game set inside a living world with unique NPCs, fight are few and far between. It's a life-sim/adventure, not an ARPG.

The comparisons are skin deep. And I would say extremely damaging to both games. I wouldn't be convinced otherwise unless someone makes a detailed comparison that isn't:

A) reductionist
B) doesn't apply to hundreds of other games as well.

I remember my ex watching me play Shenmue and said "this reminds me of a game I used to have on PS2". She was talkin about Yakuza.

I only played about twenty to thirty minutes of the first game, but defo got that it was an inspiration.

People need a frame of reference for things, and like it or not, Yakuza seems to be the closest thatching according to everyone else.

It's like that *huh* and that's the way it is.

HUH!

It's because Yakuza has certain motifs that evokes Shenmue imagery, like visiting the arcades to play classic SEGA games, or wandering the streets of a small Japanese town/district.

Doesn't make the comparison any less superficial

seems like not many people got early copies until now?
usually you can find videos on Youtube or live streams on Twitch like 10-7 days before the actual release date has arrived
(uploaded or streamed by smaller channels that were able to get a early physical version for a console)
but there is nothing for Shenmue HD.

Back