Shenmue 4 leak audio review trailer

It's actually very good that there was no fuss about it. Can you imagine regular sites writing something like "Shenmue Dojo reporting about new audio recording, potentially from Shenmue 4 trailer" :D

Еxactly the dojo made several youtube videos about how important is that the first trailer comes out well polished and in the right time. If this trailer is real, but not final or an old version, the news of this will only do damage.

If there's anything real in this trailer, our community better not get involved in spreading it (let alone crediting us as a source).

If there is any truth to this, new stuff will start coming out soon. It is inevitable.:)

Last edited:
Ok.. I may be way off here but I may have translated the final part of the trailer. It seems like Yu says: “Kono bubun wa yakujosu kano se arimasu.

In google translator it translates to “It is possible to exterminate this part.

Again, I know very, very little Japanese. But I’m pretty sure that is close to what he’s saying which, if by some weird chance I’m right, would indicate he’s saying the last part(either the Tentei part or maybe some text at the very end) can be removed.

EDIT
So my bet is that if this is real it’s a presentation to investors or someone like that. Probably a Zoom meeting which makes sense because that anonymity would be the only way I can see someone recording the audio.

Last edited:
Ok.. I may be way off here but I may have translated the final part of the trailer. It seems like Yu says: “Kono bubun wa yakujosu kano se arimasu.

In google translator it translates to “It is possible to exterminate this part.

Again, I know very, very little Japanese. But I’m pretty sure that is close to what he’s saying which, if by some weird chance I’m right, would indicate he’s saying the last part(either the Tentei part or maybe some text at the very end) can be removed.

EDIT
So my bet is that if this is real it’s a presentation to investors or someone like that. Probably a Zoom meeting which makes sense because that anonymity would be the only way I can see someone recording the audio.
Nice work! Although I’d probably say this makes it less likely to be a presentation to investors. If pitching they wouldn’t show off a work in progress trailer; they’d show a finished trailer (note that I don’t mean intended/fit for the public).

Perhaps it could be a suggestion to editors or a presentation to other members of the team?

Also note that understand zero Japanese beyond the lucky hit barks tree.

Yeah, I think they’re putting the finishing touches on the trailer in preparation for its debut. I love it for us but I hate it for them that it was leaked.

I’m pretty much on board with this being real now.

I had this in what I had transcribed a couple days ago, but it should be something along the lines of:
この部分は約定する可能性があります。

I had only really mentioned it in the discord, but if it were 削除 (sakujo) instead of 約定 (yakujou), it would be pretty easily translated as, 'It's possible this part will be deleted/removed.'
Yakujou implies a business agreement, though. It's also used as a term for confirmation of stock trade. Neither makes a lot of sense to me with the limited context in the leaked audio, which is just one more reason I question the legitimacy of the audio.

Just noticed on the audio that the Unknown Character seems to mention Koen Ken between 38 » 40 sec meaning that he is talking about Lan Di's Tiger Swallow deadly Martial Art.
Yeah, there is a mention of Koen-ken in there. The line sounds to me like it has a number of AI errors in it, like what I've been able to generate through elevenlabs' JP AI voices, but the character seems to be trying to say something along the lines of, 'Our goal is to snuff out Koenken, and all other fatal martial arts styles. However, what's most important is our task to prevent these evil schools from falling into the hands of evil.' I mean, the dialogue even sounds kind of droll and uninspired like chatGPT text.

I guess if it's an early iteration of the trailer that's not supposed to be seen by the public, it's not unreasonable to think they might use AI as a stopgap until they can record actual VO. But overall, I'm still thinking it's fake. I don't personally believe that it being taken down is proof of anything. It's just another way for the hoaxer to make it seem more legitimate. Everyone's already downloaded it after all.

As others have said though, I do love the buzz that it's generated. Feels like old times!
I am half joking, but I wonder if a fully AI-generated English dub in 2024 could maybe sound more natural, or at least as good, than the English dub of Shenmue I, which we all know the circumstances it was made.

(no disrespect to the actors, they did what they could).

Will we see a trailer by today or tomorrow ? Or maybe, in the following months ? Maybe during VGA awards in the worst case ?
I’m wondering which audience would be best to first showcase Shenmue 4. American audience or Japanese one ?

One interesting thing is that when I go to Japan and see Shenmue 3 in shops, the price didn’t drop at all compared to Western countries. So I’m thinking that the game maybe still have some hype there.

The situation is weird. It feels fake but why should anyone go that extra mile to fake such things? Shenmue is only valuable to a small hardcore fan community. It is not a big media phenomenon.
I know it sucks to get jerked around emotionally by something like this, but I think some people filtering through this might be a little too deep in the feels. I personally don't think it's all that deep.

I've been a little hesitant to actually say this, but if this is as fake as I feel it is, it's absolutely made by someone who's been sitting at the very bottom of the Shenmue iceberg for a very long time. There's no way around that.
I feel like it's probably more of an experiment, though. Yeah, maybe an experiment at the expense of Shenmue fans, but if I wanted to see how well I could do creating my own Japanese dialogue for like a fan Shenmue game or something, I might try something like this. (Assuming I didn't actually know much Japanese.)

Well, my girlfriend is Japanese and she will be back home this week end. So maybe I can ask her how she feels about this audio. Does it sounds natural for her and so on ? Maybe it could be an interesting idea.
Would be great to have a native ear on it. I'm constantly listening to podcasts and things in Japanese, but I will readily admit I'm not able to pick up on the same level information as a native Japanese speaker.

Yes, this is what I’m thinking as well.

Well my major was also Japanese language actually and while I wish my Japanese would be better than now, I think every point you mentioned who looked weird to me or I didn’t understand very well, is because they look little bit strange and I didn’t want to mistranslate those parts. But indeed asking a native or two could be a good idea. I sent this leak to one of my friend which is totally fluent in Japanese and she thought it was really well made, especially even more if it’s a leak. But I think the kind of details of the wrong name spelling or something like is only what a fan or someone get used to play the game in Japanese could probably catch. Hmmm

Not sure if it's a 2023 thing, to just jump to "it's AI". Regardless of what AI can do, I am just waiting on the official translation to confirm if it's actually fake or not. If the translation comes through and the lines which include the location of the 4th game are actually in there, then this is real. At this point as far as a few of us know, that's not public knowledge as of yet.

Honestly, though... Shenmue voice acting isn't much better than what AI is doing these days. If they did indeed use it, at least for NPCs, I wouldn't complain. anything to get the game made.

Not sure if it's a 2023 thing, to just jump to "it's AI". Regardless of what AI can do, I am just waiting on the official translation to confirm if it's actually fake or not. If the translation comes through and the lines which include the location of the 4th game are actually in there, then this is real. At this point as far as a few of us know, that's not public knowledge as of yet.
From the previous translation by @Rydeen that was deleted, Suzhou was mentioned quite a lot

Honestly, though... Shenmue voice acting isn't much better than what AI is doing these days. If they did indeed use it, at least for NPCs, I wouldn't complain. anything to get the game made.
That’s what I was thinking. Shenmue has always had stiff dialogue. Not sure if it’s the same in Japanese but in English it’s always been janky.

I think on the whole, we have yet to see what A.I can really do in certain hands. The potential is there, especially with the right technology or company.

There are A.I in hundreds of drive-thrus these days. I actually encountered one in my hometown and it was *almost* indistinguishable from a human.

I've seen people make *entirely A.I.* driven companions in Skyrim mods. They make conversations, deliver one liners, all that. It's pretty wild.

Back