Shenmue 4 leak audio review trailer

I'm finding this AI analysis fascinating! I've gone from real to maybe, to leaning towards fake but stil hopeful :) That said, I just want to respond to the last part...
they would surely have been noticed and corrected before the trailer was ever shown
Assuming it's real, we don't know the context behind this trailer or whether it even was shown. All we know is that it isn't ready for the public, and judging by the final comment from Yu, it is a work in progress. Therefore, having the issues ironed out may not have been important.

I've worked in AAA for quite a few years now and you wouldn't believe the amount of in-house trailers we produce that never get shown to the public. Many of them also make use to robo voice (from scripted lines) or in-house talent. Some departments (particularly art, animation, LD) will even create their own highlight reels to showcase their work to the rest of the team. I know Shenmue isn't a AAA game, but the point is, we have no idea what this trailer is for. We definitely shouldn't assume it's a completed asset.

The complexity of this
It sounds close to his voice, I think. But there's something else that seems strange with his word choice, which @Rydeen has pointed out earlier, which is at the end where he says what sounds to be "yakujo suru", but that doesn't make sense. Another similar-sounding word like "sakujo suru" would fit (which would have the meaning that he might remove the part about Tentei).
Are “yakujo suru” and “sakujo suru” similar in their meaning? My googling seems to indicate they’re similar but I don’t know the minutiae of the Japanese language. Yu-san is 65 and I know English speaking older people often mix up similar words that have similar meaning but still get the point across. So it could be a situation where he should have said “sakujo” but misspoke with “yakujo” and either didn’t realize it or just rolled with it.

The part about Shenhua saying “o-mae” is really weird. Again, I don’t know much about Japanese but I do know the guys and girls tend to stick to different terms in some situations.

I still strongly lean toward this being either a pitch trying to get funding from a potential investor or showing an existing investor a trailer prior to its debut. Language aside the production just seems way too complex just for a troll.

If I had to bet, unfortunately, I think it’s probably a pitch for funding and the recording is old so as to protect the leaker’s identity. If it’s recent that makes the leaker much easier to narrow down.

EDIT
I just realized something. Why would Yu-san say “We can remove the last part” if it’s just a pitch for investors? That isn’t something you would say in a pitch. It’s something you would say when you’re actually talking about a trailer for public consumption.

If that be the case, you could've trolled GTA community, etc. Why the Shenmue community?
I know it sounds a bit like a mystery novel, but the perpetrator is one of us! :D

Not necessarily from the dojo, but from the entire Shenmue community. He is familiar with the lore of the series and doesn't understand GTA.

I know it sounds a bit like a mystery novel, but the perpetrator is one of us! :D

Not necessarily from the dojo, but from the entire Shenmue community. He is familiar with the lore of the series and doesn't understand GTA.

That's still an egregious amount of effort for the ol' "15 minutes of fame".

Reactions: JP_
That's still an egregious amount of effort for the ol' "15 minutes of fame".

To offer some insight, that's assuming their intentions were solely to decieve. Given the amount of lore they put into the trailer, they're clearly a genuine Shenmue fan.

I reckon this person could have viewed their fakery as a passion piece that they genuinely enjoyed creating. They probably wanted to challenge themselves to see the extent of what they could make, and the fact it was Shenmue related kept them motivated to see it through. That was my mentality when making the Shenmue Mania april fools a few years back anyway.

To offer some insight, that's assuming their intentions were solely to decieve. Given the amount of lore they put into the trailer, they're clearly a genuine Shenmue fan.

I reckon this person could have viewed their fakery as a passion piece that they genuinely enjoyed creating. They probably wanted to challenge themselves to see the extent of what they could make, and the fact it was Shenmue related kept them motivated to see it through. That was my mentality when making the Shenmue Mania april fools a few years back anyway.

Yeah, but I'd think it would still be up. But it isn't--weirdly brief time to keep the hoax up.

Thanks to our good friend @Spaghetti, it seems the Ryo scream is a direct copy from this scene in Shenmue 2

I think the audio clip is very well put together and I respect the actual creation of the piece. It feels very exciting and the story beats sound like Shenmue.

That said though, I will say this,

It's becoming more and more apparent that there are a ton of inconsistencies in this clip from the pronunciation of some words to the ripped voice clips from other scenes from previous Shenmue games. Not to mention, before Ryo screams, it sounds like the menu sounds from the Shenmue 3 settings are being played which makes no sense.

I've also done some testing and seen that an A.I Japanese Ryo does in fact say Tentee and Lan Ti, not Tentei and Lan Tei like he should.

Whoever made this clip is probably reading this thread, as they are clearly a hardcore fan. I just would like to say, that if this is fake which it seems likely it is, you are an absolute disgrace to the Shenmue community. You should not lead them on like that or try and trick them for 15 minutes of fame. You dishonored your peers and ysnet, and I have zero respect for you.

If it ends up being real, which I seriously doubt, then I'll happily take all of this back and apologize. But yeah, for now, great creation, but the creator is a coward and a loser, and I want nothing to do with them should they ever reveal themselves. The community comes first always, and trying to mislead/trick them on such an important subject is a no-go area in my book. In fact, it's a snake move. Shameless. No honor or decency.

Last edited:
Thanks to our good friend Spaghetti, it seems the Ryo scream is a direct copy from this scene in Shenmue 2

I think the audio clip is very well put together and I respect the actual creation of the piece. It feels very exciting and the story beats sound like Shenmue.

It's becoming more and more apparent that there are a ton of inconsistencies in this clip from the pronunciation of some words to the ripped voice clips from other scenes from previous Shenmue games. Not to mention, before Ryo screams, it sounds like the menu sounds from the Shenmue 3 settings are being played which makes no sense.

I've also done some testing and seen that an A.I Japanese Ryo does in fact say Tentee and Lan Ti, not Tentei and Lan Tei like he should.

Whoever made this clip is probably reading this thread, as they are clearly a hardcore fan. I just would like to say, that if this is fake which it seems likely it is, you are an absolute disgrace to the Shenmue community. You should not lead them on like that or try and trick them for 15 minutes of fame. You dishonored your peers and ysnet, and I have zero respect for you.

If it ends up being real, which I seriously doubt, then I'll happily take all of this back and apologize. But yeah, for now, great creation, but the creator is a coward and a loser, and I want nothing to do with them should they ever reveal themselves. The community come first always, and trying to mislead them on such an important subject is a no go area in my book.
Nice find for the scream it was the only thing that got me a little bit of hope since these kinds of line can't be AI generated that's a shame I was really excited about it and i don't understand who and why someone would waste so much time doing this

Thanks to our good friend @Spaghetti, it seems the Ryo scream is a direct copy from this scene in Shenmue 2

If it ends up being real, which I seriously doubt, then I'll happily take all of this back and apologize. But yeah, for now, great creation, but the creator is a coward and a loser, and I want nothing to do with them should they ever reveal themselves. The community comes first always, and trying to mislead/trick them on such an important subject is a no-go area in my book. In fact, it's a snake move. Shameless. No honor or decency.
Thanks for excellent detective work. I assumed it was fake but wanted to desperately to hope I was wrong.

That really sucks. I was genuinely hopeful for the first time in a while. Part of me is still trying to rationalise it, thinking maybe they just used pre-existing audio assets… but I know I’m clutching at straws.

It was nice while it lasted. I imagine the original poster was watching and potentially removed it when we started discussing a C&D to make it seem more plausible.

Oh, praise be! I might not be completely off my rocker, yet! Was starting to get kind of concerned for myself the last couple days. Felt kind of like a combination of One Night Werewolf, The Truman Show, and this for me:
charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif

On a personal note, however, it was really nice to engage with the Dojo for a change after so many years of lurking ❤️
Glad to have you.

There's plenty of ways you can engage with Shenmue Dojo. Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Discord. We're pretty much everywhere!

Nice find for the scream it was the only thing that got me a little bit of hope since these kinds of line can't be AI generated that's a shame I was really excited about it and i don't understand who and why someone would waste so much time doing this
Honestly, I'm just curious to know their workflow and thought process more than anything else.
Answering both of you:
Living underground feeding with intravenous Cheetos is the answer.
What annoyed me the most was the timing with the recent very friendly interview to Yu-san.
That said, agree with others that also enjoyed many good commenters doubling posts and even coming back.

@Catchanysailorshere? Really?? Where? Cmon...

Back