SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

Jibby

🍇
Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
the waiting game.
Leading up to the re-release, SEGA have started a new video series explaining Shenmue with narration from Corey Marshall (the voice of Ryo Hazuki). The video contains a lot of new footage from the re-release so it's definitely worth watching even if you're already familiar with the games.

You can find Part 1 which gives an outline of the story here:

UPDATE 10/08/2018: Episode 2 of 'What's Shenmue?' is now up!

UPDATE 15/08/2018: Episode 3 of 'What's Shenmue?' is now up!

Last edited by a moderator:
good idea with the new thread!

*new notebook font
Oh7Z3kR.png

The notebook will take a bit of getting used to but it looks good.

The game looks crisp and the updated HUD is great. I am really impressed.

Just saw this on twitter while on my bus home. Looks so awesome from what I can see on a tiny phone screen. Such a great idea from Sega for a mini series and a wicked addition from Corey. Can't wait to get in to fullscreen it on YouTube lol

Bring on part 2!!

Last edited:
Corey must be very busy with all of the Shenmue stuff he's doing. Love that they are doing this, going above and beyond.

Looks like Sega is finally showing Shenmue 2 videos with its 4:3 letterbox.

I love the overall look of Shenmue 1! Corey's voice is on point, as well.

It's been a while since I played Shenmue II. but have they redone the water?

Attachments

• water.png
    water.png
    568.2 KB · Views: 41
Excellent trailer! Love Corey's performance and I love the footage of the game on display too, it's looking great!
Loving the shots of the UI and notebook too, everything looks on point!

Bring on the next video!

It's been a while since I played Shenmue II. but have they redone the water?
Hmmmm, it looks the same as the port of the Original Xbox's water to me.

Wow the fonts look so much different...Why do you guys think they changed the fonts of the notebook?

Original font is pretty low Res and would stand out to anyone new to the franchise running HD resolutions.

Everything looks good in the video. Assuming the PC version allows a variety of resolutions up to 4K I'll be happy with the port.

I love how much effort they put out to promote this game. While I'd rather have a bit of that energy went into the production itself I do have to tip my hat at Sega for finally doing what they should've done for the original releases and show some true love.

It would be nice to see some side by side comparisons between this and the original games as they look on a Dreamcast. Just screenshots of certain scenes as well as the changes like UI. I feel looking at images like this help you see the improvements much better and shut's people up who say the game hasn't been touched:

shadow-of-the-colossus-graphics-comparison-ps2-vs-ps4-pro_yf5x.620.jpg

1472007.jpg

20170707_061847_thumb.png

video_994.jpg

ico_comparison_thumb.jpg.jpg

I'm mainly saying this in hope that someone does it as I can't be bothered myself.

The Xbox version had updated water just like that.
Excellent trailer! Love Corey's performance and I love the footage of the game on display too, it's looking great!
Loving the shots of the UI and notebook too, everything looks on point!

Bring on the next video!

Hmmmm, it looks the same as the port of the Original Xbox's water to me.
Oh, I never had the Xbox version.

I'm sorry guys, but it genuinely cannot believe Sega & d3t are releasing the game in this state. I've never seen a HD remaster treated so poorly - Silent Hill HD comes to mind, but this really is just as disappointing. I've been hoping for a HD Remaster ever since the announcement of Shenmue 3's return in 2015... but this simply doesn't do the cinematics of the game justice - which for a story driven game is a big issue. I'm going to stick to playing Shenmue 2 on my Xbox 360 as that way I can stretch the screen at least - Or of course I am hoping for a Patch.

I'm sorry guys, but it genuinely cannot believe Sega & d3t are releasing the game in this state. I've never seen a HD remaster treated so poorly - Silent Hill HD comes to mind, but this really is just as disappointing. I've been hoping for a HD Remaster ever since the announcement of Shenmue 3's return in 2015... but this simply doesn't do the cinematics of the game justice - which for a story driven game is a big issue. I'm going to stick to playing Shenmue 2 on my Xbox 360 as that way I can stretch the screen at least - Or of course I am hoping for a Patch.

It's not a HD remaster though, is it? It's a rerelease. Why anyone would want to play a stretched version of Shenmue 2 on the Xbox 360 over Shenmue 1 and 2 rereleases on modern gen consoles is beyond me.

Back