[RELEASE] Shenmue Audio Restoration Project - Shenmue English & Japanese Dub - Shenmue II English

I'm under a different situation some reason due to my inactivity of Nexus I tried to sign in then I got told I needed to Verify which I did then suddenly I'm banned? Can you please upload this to say mega or google drive?

Edit: I see it says you are on MEGA but I don't see that link to download the English Audio Restoration for 1 and 2 anywhere's? I only see a link to Github and NEXUS....

Last edited:
It's all on the Nexus page. There is a mega mirror there. Don't complain to me that there isn't a mirror when there very clearly is one. Look at the nexus page, then look in the mirrors section.

Hi, i have installed the audio restoration for shenmue II, but there is no difference with the default sound. It's like the mod's not working. I have done everything like the tutorial, with forklift, but the sound is still compressed. I've got the original version from Steam. These are the steps i have done:

Hi, i have installed the audio restoration for shenmue II, but there is no difference with the default sound. It's like the mod's not working. I have done everything like the tutorial, with forklift, but the sound is still compressed. I've got the original version from Steam. These are the steps i have done:

Are you playing in Japanese or English? Because I've not yet finished (I know I'm a broken record, but I promise it -WILL- be done at some point; it's just not time yet) the Japanese dub for Shenmue II. That being said, the jump in quality is not as stark in Shenmue II; they (mostly) used the AHX format, which is... well.... worse than the str format they used for Shenmue 1.

Are you playing in Japanese or English? Because I've not yet finished (I know I'm a broken record, but I promise it -WILL- be done at some point; it's just not time yet) the Japanese dub for Shenmue II. That being said, the jump in quality is not as stark in Shenmue II; they (mostly) used the AHX format, which is... well.... worse than the str format they used for Shenmue 1.

Any news on the Shenmue II Japanese/European Japanese dub release, my man? 🙂

Any updates on the Japanese audio for Shenmue II?
I'm really excited to play it with higher quality audio.
Also, will there be a similar restoration for the music and SFX?

Shenmue II uses the original Japanese dub and not the European one.

Last edited:
Another question: will this be compatible with the recently announced Dragon/Phoenix Collection?
Would be great to see @Dewey and @LemonHaze combine forces to form Captain Planet on this one.

Dragon & Phoenix Collection would be the Shenmue equivalent of the Christian Whitehead Retro Engine remasters of Sonic 1, 2 and CD.
And the Shenmue equivalent to Streets of Rage Remake.

Anyways, I hope the Shenmue II Japanese dub gets finished before D&P since it's the big missing spot in the Shenmue Audio Restoration project, and very few people would want to play with a terrible English dub.

@Dewey
Thank you very much, this is a must have.

Did you send this to d3t, so that they patch this into their re-release?

And could you please make the download available over a non-spying bullshit-broken-by-design-website?
I registered at nexusmods extra for your mod, but can't log in, even without any addons or blocking settings, I stuck in cloudfront shittty-pseudo ddos protection... mega also keep avoiding accessibility by their design, but even with same non-restricted webbrowser settings (allowing all their shitty cookies and stuff) the download fails..
This Bullshit Websites shouldn't be supported anyway...
Maybe upload this mod just at notabug.org, or for all I care github where you already uploaded your tools for that.

And would it be possible to get this to work without that modloader?

Anyways, I hope the Shenmue II Japanese dub gets finished before D&P since it's the big missing spot in the Shenmue Audio Restoration project, and very few people would want to play with a terrible English dub.

It won't, at least not by me. I was saying I never finished working on the Japanese dub, because I've been working on the Dragon & Phoenix Collection instead, but the higher quality dubs will be a part of Dragon & Phoenix collection. I can't guarantee better quality dialogue than the original releases, but I can guarantee the dialogue won't be as bad as the rereleases.

@Dewey
Thank you very much, this is a must have.

Did you send this to d3t, so that they patch this into their re-release?

And could you please make the download available over a non-spying bullshit-broken-by-design-website?
I registered at nexusmods extra for your mod, but can't log in, even without any addons or blocking settings, I stuck in cloudfront shittty-pseudo ddos protection... mega also keep avoiding accessibility by their design, but even with same non-restricted webbrowser settings (allowing all their shitty cookies and stuff) the download fails..
This Bullshit Websites shouldn't be supported anyway...
Maybe upload this mod just at notabug.org, or for all I care github where you already uploaded your tools for that.

And would it be possible to get this to work without that modloader?

I don't want to be a downer here, but I'm not sure about either of those. I totally understand the complaints against both because... well you pretty much outlined all the main arguments, and I'll be honest, I even agree for the most part. Unfortunately, they're all pretty large, so finding adequate free hosting becomes a bit of an issue after a while. I WAS thinking about anonfiles, but they're slower than dirt to use. As far as getting it to work without the modloader; is it possible? Yes, but with a general change to how I package everything, and not to be a jerk, I'm just not willing to do it right now, maybe in the future once Dragon & Phoenix Collection is finished; but by then I see little reason to continue to use this (although I may still make that update, just for continued legacy support).

If you have privacy concerns related to the modloader, I can assure you, the modloader is doing absolutely nothing untoward.

Amazing Matt, what a legend! Absolutely loving the podcast by the way ☺
Merry Christmas to you and the whole Dojo!

@Dewey I know this was your work. Just to let you know re the link.

Also, for now: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J4ccQ8KP-G5nce078jHUrkHAnqCVSpQZ?usp=sharing
That's fantastic – thank you so much! And what a difference :D The audio really cleans up nicely! Still some clicks and pops probably from the source, but no more horrible compressions and distortion. Massive thanks to Dewey for all his original work! Definitely makes the playthrough a nicer experience 🙂

BTW, as well as the Mirror (how appropriate!) I've subsequently noticed the file can be downloaded from Nexusmods from the Files tab, and the file there is 3.38GB vs the new Google Drive 1.41GB. Still seems to work but it looks like there's one file missing in the '2' folder (FREE02.afs) and one file missing in the '3' folder (FREE03.afs). Perhaps that's the voices when wandering around speaking to NPCs? In any case, I have both versions now, so please enjoy the holidays! 🎄

Back