Random Shenmue Thoughts

I cant believe Shenmue 3 turns 2/1 years this year. still overheats my rig pc from 2015,

Also Anyone wants a Yokosuka dlc for Shenmue 3? well i do. For Ryo to revisit Yokosuka however would mean creating a alternate universe so if they make one it cant be cannon

I found this old tweet from sega, funny thing is it's probably never been redeemed as it only got 3 likes (4 after I liked it a decade later lol) I wonder if they still have this lying around πŸ‘€
You can't dm them anymore though so I just retweeted lol

I found this old tweet from sega, funny thing is it's probably never been redeemed as it only got 3 likes (4 after I liked it a decade later lol) I wonder if they still have this lying around πŸ‘€
You can't dm them anymore though so I just retweeted lol
It was given away:.

They used to do a thing called Free Stuff Friday, where you could just tweet whatever the specified thing was and win some random SEGA swag, whatever they had that week. I actually won some stuff that included a Worms poster, a Super Monkey Ball frisbee, and maybe something else? It's been over a decade I think, so I can't remember.

Twitter does this weird thing where it seems to erase your likes from a certain timeframe ago. I've noticed that on several Shenmue things I go back to look at or rewatch from time to time.

Uh, IDK if this is the best place to post this, but I saw someone (Yokosuka) on the old Dojo forums mentioning that the Chinese Fandom translated the "VFRPG archives?"

Since the Chinese community translated the VF RPG archives, the Yu's explanations (that no one understood before) make finally a lot of sense though. Things have never been (or looked) so clear. [This is in reply to a message showing confusion about the "chapters" mess.]

At the moment, the smoke is further surrounding the "branched story line". [Something Yuzuki refered to during Shenmue 3's production. Never explained.]
...Does anyone know what the heck this is talking about???

So I decided to play around in the What's Shenmue demo and I found some interesting things. I'll try to avoid the things people already know.

The first one is a beta model of Mark. The difference here is that he's wearing gloves. In some beta footage of the game you can see Mark with this model.

Screenshot_20220228-023951_redream.png

Nozomi has an unused (atleast I believe) stance.

Screenshot_20220228-023534_redream.png

And lastly I believe this is a beta Naoyuki model, Naoyuki here has a completely different head!. My reason why I believe this is a beta Naoyuki model is because his outfit is the exact same as the final game.

Screenshot_20220228-023336_redream.png

One last thing I'd like to mention is in the one mode where the characters talk to you, Mark has his english voice actor from the U.S. version of Shenmue, which is weird since when you talk to Mark in the game, he's voiced by someone else entirely.

With the anime in full swing I had the sudden urge to replay first game and did an express play through over last few days. A couple of points I wanted to mention-

- So I never played a VF game prior to getting Ultimate Showdown when it was free on PSN. I actually spent some time learning move set and got pretty decent with Pai being able to at least hold my own against highly ranked opponents online. How does this tie into my recent playthrough? I feel like all these years of playing Shenmue I never have been fighting properly! Specifically regarding the party/block function. I had being using it to try and dodge instead of it’s intended effect which is to simply parry majority of opponents attacks. I feel this is a similar revelation to what @Peter discussed in this post and I must say it’s made majority of fights transformative. I’ve beaten Chai before at the arcades but this time it was a lot easier, I also typically had to cheese the fight with Pedro by running away to regain health. This time I was able to parry majority of his moves and land my counter attacks.

- I can’t recall if I have got this piece of dialogue before but Gonghui Liu giving you information about Fathers Heaven code and mythology in HK was pretty cool

- As this was an express playthrough, for first time I really could see the design limitations with the harbour section. For a game that typically rewards the player and gives them choice, blocking you off at the harbour, often when nothing can be triggered until the next day is slightly frustrating.

- I know it is impossible for me to be objective but as I alluded to in this post despite coming from finishing one of the most visually stunning open world games currently out, there’s something about Shenmue’s design and aesthetics which quickly transports you back into the world.

With the anime in full swing I had the sudden urge to replay first game and did an express play through over last few days. A couple of points I wanted to mention-

- So I never played a VF game prior to getting Ultimate Showdown when it was free on PSN. I actually spent some time learning move set and got pretty decent with Pai being able to at least hold my own against highly ranked opponents online. How does this tie into my recent playthrough? I feel like all these years of playing Shenmue I never have been fighting properly! Specifically regarding the party/block function. I had being using it to try and dodge instead of it’s intended effect which is to simply parry majority of opponents attacks. I feel this is a similar revelation to what @Peter discussed in this post and I must say it’s made majority of fights transformative. I’ve beaten Chai before at the arcades but this time it was a lot easier, I also typically had to cheese the fight with Pedro by running away to regain health. This time I was able to parry majority of his moves and land my counter attacks.

- I can’t recall if I have got this piece of dialogue before but Gonghui Liu giving you information about Fathers Heaven code and mythology in HK was pretty cool

- As this was an express playthrough, for first time I really could see the design limitations with the harbour section. For a game that typically rewards the player and gives them choice, blocking you off at the harbour, often when nothing can be triggered until the next day is slightly frustrating.

- I know it is impossible for me to be objective but as I alluded to in this post despite coming from finishing one of the most visually stunning open world games currently out, there’s something about Shenmue’s design and aesthetics which quickly transports you back into the world.

- I always struggle with parrying in the first game, for some reason: in II, between counter elbow assault and other attacks, I parry often and my timing is much better. Not sure why there's the difference in games for me...

- I got that dialogue before! Only a couple of times though... Liu is an underrated NPC, even having little tidbits of advice when the story cannot be progressed. And while I'm not a fan of smoking, he smokes like a G.

I found a Shenmue character tier list and Ronald Reagan is in there for some reason

View attachment 14339

TWICE! :LOL:

Demon's triangle is so badass, I wonder if it would have had any usefulness in the plot had throws not been dumped in Shenmue 3.

This is especially true with Shenmue 2 (more fights) but I could play the games again just to enjoy the fighting engine. I only learned all of the extensions a few years back!

Demon's triangle is so badass, I wonder if it would have had any usefulness in the plot had throws not been dumped in Shenmue 3.

This is especially true with Shenmue 2 (more fights) but I could play the games again just to enjoy the fighting engine. I only learned all of the extensions a few years back!
My dark theory is Xiuying kills Ziming with the move, but to protect people. That might sound out of character for Xiuying,of all people to kill, but it might suit the theme of yin and yang, and Xiuying learns to accept her own darkness, that she made the impossible choice, and Ziming gives her the other half of the yin/yang pendant, regretting his actions in his dying breath. I think that could be beautiful scene.

I believe the move was found in Shenmue III's files, but with no animation and called "Yama Three", IIRC.

Back