Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Why do you think they care? They released 1 and 2 without worrying about fans asking them for 4? Every month we tag them, and they pretend not to see us. :)

If they see some cheap way to make Shenmue Zero and make money (one time only), they'll do it in the blink of an eye.

SEGA is largely responsible for the state of the Shenmue franchise, and no matter how much they pretend they can't see anything, that fact won't change. They hold the rights, they profit from the merchandise, everything Shenmue goes through them. The only way they can get rid of Shenmue is to sell the rights to the franchise.

Also to state by tagging SEGA you've got far more chance of any of our posts being recognised during Tweetathons and the like just due to the size of their accounts.

So it's not just about getting SEGA involved but also to piggyback a little bit.

But we also need to be doing more alongside and between Tweetathons
i totally agree, we should all start bullying sega into making s4, because honestly they are pissing me off. Idk, if i'm alone in this, but i feel like they are pretty opportunistic when it comes to shenmue, benefitting off the hype by releasing their a*s merch but refusing to even invest in their own game. I mean what is their excuse??? Yu is definitely not gonna ask for another 75m to make the games, he was literally willing to make s3 with just 6m???

My only gripe with Shenmue 0 is the timing. Another Shenmue game is not promised. I'd rather have Shenmue 4 and fall short of finishing the series than have 0 and fall short. We are more than half way finished let's keep looking forward. Better to look back once we cross the finish line.

Unless it’s this: Yu wants Shenmue 4 to have playable flashbacks where some key moments in the series will be recreated. These flashback segments have now inspired him to think about Shenmue 0, but it could just be an early thought at this stage with Shenmue 4 still intended to be the next game in the pipeline.

Gotta be honest, with all of these old Sega titles coming back, and seeing that Sega have filed trademarks for Altered Beast, Eternal Champions, Kid Chameleon, Alex Kidd, After Burner, House of the Dead and Outrun recently, it hurts that we are not even getting a hint of Shenmue being amongst them.

I know Sega let Yu Suzuki do what he wants with Shenmue 3, but they still have all of the power to do what they want with the series. I can't understand why Shenmue isn't getting the same backing that all of these other old titles are getting.

I think there’s a chance that Sega will decide to do something with Shenmue as a part of reintroducing their IPs. “And More”…. what if Sega IS making Shenmue 4 the 20 hour game set in Shanghai?

Shenmue 0 talk is just Yu Suzuki whistling Dixie.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, with all of these old Sega titles coming back, and seeing that Sega have filed trademarks for Altered Beast, Eternal Champions, Kid Chameleon, Alex Kidd, After Burner, House of the Dead and Outrun recently, it hurts that we are not even getting a hint of Shenmue being amongst them.

I know Sega let Yu Suzuki do what he wants with Shenmue 3, but they still have all of the power to do what they want with the series. I can't understand why Shenmue isn't getting the same backing that all of these other old titles are getting.

Starting to think it comes down to budget. All these titles you named won't be as expensive. Shenmue 4 is gonna require $10M and that's on the low end.

Won’t it be sort of sad to get a Shenmue 4 at an even lower budget than Shenmue 3?

It will be like the series just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper with each chapter… would have been better if that was reversed LOL. At this rate Shenmue 7 will be reduced to a flip book drawn in crayon.

I was thinking… the United States gives nearly $50 billion annually in foreign aid… maybe we can write to our representatives in congress to divert just a small fraction of that money to YsNet?

$20M would be less than 1/2 of one tenth of 1% of that the annual foreign aid.

Plus the $20M technically would be foreign aid to Japan as it would employ dozens of people for years making Shenmue 4.

Our friends across the pond could help too and temporarily raise their foreign aid from .5% back to .7% GNI and divert the extra .2% directly to YsNet.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JP_

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I bet Sega wouldn't mind making a spin off, lower budget game inspired by the franchise, but wouldn't finance Shenmue 4. I could imagine a side scrolling beat em up or even a 3D fighting game based on Shenmue, or perhaps a Shenmue 0/Origins that is very different in terms of style and gameplay (think like how Bayonetta Origins is very different from its core series). I would love something like that, but I bet the feeling at Sega is that if they announced something like that, the fans would shit on them and reject anything that isn't Shenmue 4.

The fact is though, I can't imagine any reality existing where Sega wouldn't have jumped on board for Shenmue 4 if Shenmue 3 hadn't sold much better and done better critically.

If Sega is doing a Shenmue 0 there is a certain expectation of the level of quality it should have. All these games like Altered Beast, House of the Dead, etc. weren’t know for their groundbreaking graphics and gameplay. Shenmue, especially the first one, was an absolutely a stunning game and way ahead of its time. So if they’re doing a prequel I can’t imagine they would be wise to skimp on the budget. I’m not saying they’ll spend $40 million but they have to know it needs to be more than a quickly banged out game. To show the gaming world “Sega is really in this fight to make its company great again” surely they’ll give it their all.

All this stuff like House of the Dead, Outrun, Crazy Taxi and whatever is gonna be way cheaper to develop
than a game like Shenmue. You can probably make three Crazy Taxi games with the budget Shenmue 3 had.
Which means even if a game like a new Crazy Taxi flops, its not as bad. Its whatever.
You can try again, and again to imrpove and i wouldnt be surprised if the costs
are still lower than a decent Shenmue budget.
At the same time, Shenmue doesnt have exorbitant more fans than these other IPs.
As we saw with Shenmue 1, 2 and 3, Shenmue fans alone cant absorb these higher costs
simply because there are not enough people. IPs like GTA can do 300-500 mil USD budget games
because the playerbase is able to easily absord these costs through sales numbers.
Shenmue as a IP is not able to do that. Not because its bad or hated or whatever,
because its too niche and old by now. The fanbase is too small in comparison to the costs.

Crazy Taxi, Outrun and so on dont have this problem because the costs are nowhere near the costs of Shenmue.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I bet Sega wouldn't mind making a spin off, lower budget game inspired by the franchise, but wouldn't finance Shenmue 4. I could imagine a side scrolling beat em up or even a 3D fighting game based on Shenmue, or perhaps a Shenmue 0/Origins that is very different in terms of style and gameplay (think like how Bayonetta Origins is very different from its core series). I would love something like that, but I bet the feeling at Sega is that if they announced something like that, the fans would shit on them and reject anything that isn't Shenmue 4.

The fact is though, I can't imagine any reality existing where Sega wouldn't have jumped on board for Shenmue 4 if Shenmue 3 hadn't sold much better and done better critically.

This is pure speculation but I bet Yu approached Sega about doing Shenmue 3. Sega said no then Yu asked for the license for Kickstarter. I believe Sega probably thought Shenmue 3 would be lucky to reach $2M but went it skyrocketed to $7M they were caught off guard. Now Sega and others are hiding behind it didint do great in the retail market. That's because the majority of the retail market funded the project. Now that we have resources and assets it's going to be even less investment this how you test the retail waters. There are ways to cut cost like voice acting. The Fandom is so committed to voice acting someone will set something up later to implement voice acting like Kickstarter and the fans we fund it just to hear Corey's voice. The narrative of Shenmue not doing good is not true it's not selling mass copies but was Shenmue ever gonna do that? Shenmue at this point would be lucky to reach 1 million sold. Shenmue 4 in all actuality would most likely sell more than Shenmue 3 we did have a anime that was a top performer before it was canned for no reason.

If they make it as a standalone game where they tell the previous story through memories and other tricks, remove the 4 from the name and market it as a standalone adventure, I'm absolutely sure it will sell more than Shenmue 3. The game just needs an interesting beginning and an exciting ending, to keep the gamers who play Shenmue for the first time.

I don't know how they will handle the mainstream media though. If you are not a big publisher with a big game , no one will spend money to buy the media. Shenmue doesn't have the privileges of an indie game and everyone will compare it to the biggest games...And as we know, mainstream media can ruin good games. Like Wanted Dead for example. 110 industries didn't have the power to protect their game from the media that write reviews with the mainstream public in mind. I even think that Shenmue 3 was lucky that it was a sequel to an old game and has a specific audience that wants more of the same. This somehow stopped them from giving ratings lower than 6/10.

This is pure speculation but I bet Yu approached Sega about doing Shenmue 3. Sega said no then Yu asked for the license for Kickstarter. I believe Sega probably thought Shenmue 3 would be lucky to reach $2M but went it skyrocketed to $7M they were caught off guard. Now Sega and others are hiding behind it didint do great in the retail market. That's because the majority of the retail market funded the project. Now that we have resources and assets it's going to be even less investment this how you test the retail waters. There are ways to cut cost like voice acting. The Fandom is so committed to voice acting someone will set something up later to implement voice acting like Kickstarter and the fans we fund it just to hear Corey's voice. The narrative of Shenmue not doing good is not true it's not selling mass copies but was Shenmue ever gonna do that? Shenmue at this point would be lucky to reach 1 million sold. Shenmue 4 in all actuality would most likely sell more than Shenmue 3 we did have a anime that was a top performer before it was canned for no reason.

I doubt Sega are hiding behind anything tbh and I think everyone knew a Shenmue KS would do well. If they thought there was money to be made and it was worth the hassle, they would be all over it. They are a business.

They thought the "Hyenas" were a good idea too. Obviously their judgment is poor.

If they invest in Shenmue, it might turn out to be the best money thrown.

Besides, what's the point of making enhanced versions of Altered Beast and Kid Chamеlеon if they turn out not so good and fans continue to play the old versions.

Almost no game in SEGA's catalog will raise 7 million from a kickstarter. They are absolutely blind to the potential they have with Shenmue... Especially if they pour in more money and manpower.

SEGA is currently talking about some super game that sounds like a new version of Fortnite. Something to monetize and milk for years. They say they will invest 800 million. Does that sound sane?

Last edited:
They thought the "Hyenas" were a good idea too. Obviously their judgment is poor.

If they invest in Shenmue, it might turn out to be the best money thrown.

Besides, what's the point of making enhanced versions of Altered Beast and Kid Chamеlеon if they turn out not so good and fans continue to play the old versions.

Almost no game in SEGA's catalog will raise 7 million from a kickstarter. They are absolutely blind to the potential they have with Shenmue... Especially if they pour in more money and manpower.

SEGA is currently talking about some super game that sounds like a new version of Fortnite. Something to monetize and milk for years. They say they will invest 800 million. Does that sound sane?

If Sega is talking about investing 800 million dollars into a project that could easily blowup but they won't make a Shenmue game then there is nothing we can do. Sega already dumped the mobile project they released. I actually spent money on that app just for them to can the whole thing.

Last edited:
I doubt Sega are hiding behind anything tbh and I think everyone knew a Shenmue KS would do well. If they thought there was money to be made and it was worth the hassle, they would be all over it. They are a business.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but we have examples of Shenmue performing beyond expectations. If everyone knew a Kickstarter would do well why set the amount to 2mil? Kickstarter are 30 days project fully funded in 9hrs. It's hard to raise 7 mil for a game that's been in limbo for 15 years that has a niche fanbase. The anime did well even our inside was gearing up to start development on season 2 before it was just canned. Why doesn't Sega continue the anime project with another production studio? We have proof that it's a top performer.

P.S. please start tweeting Sega everyday or every other. The tweetathon only ain't gonna cut it.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but we have examples of Shenmue performing beyond expectations. If everyone knew a Kickstarter would do well why set the amount to 2mil? Kickstarter are 30 days project fully funded in 9hrs. It's hard to raise 7 mil for a game that's been in limbo for 15 years that has a niche fanbase. The anime did well even our inside was gearing up to start development on season 2 before it was just canned. Why doesn't Sega continue the anime project with another production studio? We have proof that it's a top performer.

P.S. please start tweeting Sega everyday or every other. The tweetathon only ain't gonna cut it
Why don’t we all travel to Sega headquarters in Japan and stage a protest?

We are the tweetathon we funded a entire game ourselves. The bastartds wouldn't even let us get a Sonic capsule out the machine.
We did fund the game ourselves. And Sega laughed and laughed at us for paying for a game that they would earn money on just by sitting on their lazy butts! And while they were laughing and watching the license dollars roll in they didn’t even have the decency to let us have Sonic capsules or the VF engine?

I say we petition for a hostile takeover of Sega… seizing all their assets and intellectual property and returning them to America’s hands. All Segas cash reserves will be confiscated and their debts cancelled. Yu Suzuki will receive back pay from this fund for the last 22 years that Sega kneecapped him which will pay for his move to the United States into a beach house in Malibu and a red Ferrari that he will use to drive (accompanied by a beautiful blonde model) to the new AM2 offices -now located in Santa Monica- which he will lead. We will install Tom Kalinske as Segas Global CEO and watch him restore Segas 55% market share forever assuring their dominance.

Last edited:
Back