Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I just mean S3 is more fun when you’re just fucking about in the game world- not playing for the plot progression.

It was fun just looking at all the shop items in the stores. Try to look at the shops in S1 and S2 they are so blurry you would get a headache and need to get your eyes checked.

It was also fun to just running around S3s environments because it’s all so vivid and seamless… no loading screens every 6 seconds.

I agree S1 and S2 may be more engrossing due to the plot but just running about and “existing” in the game world is more fun in 3.

I just mean S3 is more fun when you’re just fucking about in the game world- not playing for the plot progression.

It was fun just looking at all the shop items in the stores. Try to look at the shops in S1 and S2 they are so blurry you would get a headache and need to get your eyes checked.

It was also fun to just running around S3s environments because it’s all so vivid and seamless… no loading screens every 6 seconds.

I agree S1 and S2 may be more engrossing due to the plot but just running about and “existing” in the game world is more fun in 3.
Most of those are just limitations of the hardware from the Dreamcast era. They could make 1 and 2 with no loading screens and high res objects now. I just love how there are tasks like looking for the talking bird and fighting your way through the street fighters in 2.

Most of those are just limitations of the hardware from the Dreamcast era. They could make 1 and 2 with no loading screens and high res objects now. I just love how there are tasks like looking for the talking bird and fighting your way through the street fighters in 2.
I admit that S2 is better overall. I guess I’m just saying that since the environments are so
much more vivid and immersive in S3 it’s more fun to play in them running around doing random stuff.

If your “seriously” playing to progress the plot yeah S2 wins out.

Yeah, I hope Yu will be able to get the story finished in cooperation with a novelist. Japanese version first, then we could perhaps do a Kickstarter and fund an English translation.

The easiest and cheapest way in terms of a game would probably be a Telltale kind of game.
You know, like the Telltale Walking Dead game where you are just following a strict story path
and all the fighting segments are scripted events where its more about timing and choices.
So everything is more about the story and presentation, not about the gameplay.
That removes all of the open world responsibilities to somehow guide the player to the story parts,
no filler content, no daily routines etc and no need to put NPCs everywhere and so on.
You cant go the wrong way in a Telltale style game
and you dont need any decorative NPCs or places because the player
is only going to meet important NPCs and places on a fixed path. That saves a lot of ressources.

Also if you release it in episodes, you have more time for every part
and at the same time you are already earning money from the released episodes.

I'm not saying that i want this but if we just want to know the story path of Ryo and the ending
in a (3D) game form that isnt super expensive to develop, then this could work.

Honestly, i dont see any way that we will get another 2-3 full open world games
in the same size of S2 and S3 or even bigger. Yu Suzuki is 65 years old and a new game
probably takes 3-6 years to develop. So if S4 isnt even in development right now ...
How is that supposed to work

The easiest and cheapest way in terms of a game would probably be a Telltale kind of game.
You know, like the Telltale Walking Dead game where you are just following a strict story path
and all the fighting segments are scripted events where its more about timing and choices.
So everything is more about the story and presentation, not about the gameplay.
That removes all of the open world responsibilities to somehow guide the player to the story parts,
no filler content, no daily routines etc and no need to put NPCs everywhere and so on.
You cant go the wrong way in a Telltale style game
and you dont need any decorative NPCs or places because the player
is only going to meet important NPCs and places on a fixed path. That saves a lot of ressources.

Also if you release it in episodes, you have more time for every part
and at the same time you are already earning money from the released episodes.

I'm not saying that i want this but if we just want to know the story path of Ryo and the ending
in a (3D) game form that isnt super expensive to develop, then this could work.

Honestly, i dont see any way that we will get another 2-3 full open world games
in the same size of S2 and S3 or even bigger. Yu Suzuki is 65 years old and a new game
probably takes 3-6 years to develop. So if S4 isnt even in development right now ...
How is that supposed to work
So the whole game would basically be one long QTE

If Shenmue ain't the Shenmue of old I don't want it. Any other game play format is just gonna make a worse Shenmue experience.
Well unless we the fans can come up with giving YS $20M some shitty telltale game is all we can hope to get.

Other than hoping that you win the lottery (your lucky numbers for the next drawing are 04, 6, 8, 61, 56, 47) and decide to be an Angel investor all I can think is raising $20M ourselves.

Maybe we just start a Kickstarter ourselves and try to hit $20M to give to YS Net?

If we only hit $2M then at least we can still give to YS Net and get the telltale game.

If Shenmue ain't the Shenmue of old I don't want it. Any other game play format is just gonna make a worse Shenmue experience.

I know what you mean, its just that theres the risk that we are going to hit a spot eventually,
where the ship has sailed and we wont get anything. Yu Suzuki will be 70 in 4 and a half years
and it would probably take like 3-5 years to make a full Shenmue 4. And S4 is probably not even in development right now.
And judging by how Shenmue 4 probably still wont be the final part ... its just gonna be less and less likely
that we will ever get the full ending to this series as the classic open world Shenmue experience.
Is Yu Suzuki going to direct Shenmue 5 with 80+ if the development process keeps going on this rocky path?
I mean people like Todd Howard and Sam Lake are 53 and they already talked about retiring eventually.

I dont know, if theres no Shenmue 4 announcement by 2026 or whatever,
maybe we should beg Sega on our knees to get RGG Studio and Suzuki together to finish this lifework project.
There has to be some plan B or C. No 2, 3, 4 million USD lottery win or 2, 3, 4 million USD private investor
is going to get us out of this problem.

I know what you mean, its just that theres the risk that we are going to hit a spot eventually,
where the ship has sailed and we wont get anything. Yu Suzuki will be 70 in 4 and a half years
and it would probably take like 3-5 years to make a full Shenmue 4. And S4 is probably not even in development right now.
And judging by how Shenmue 4 probably still wont be the final part ... its just gonna be less and less likely
that we will ever get the full ending to this series as the classic open world Shenmue experience.
Is Yu Suzuki going to direct Shenmue 5 with 80+ if the development process keeps going on this rocky path?
I mean people like Todd Howard and Sam Lake are 53 and they already talked about retiring eventually.

I dont know, if theres no Shenmue 4 announcement by 2026 or whatever,
maybe we should beg Sega on our knees to get RGG Studio and Suzuki together to finish this lifework project.
There has to be some plan B or C. No 2, 3, 4 million USD lottery win or 2, 3, 4 million USD private investor
is going to get us out of this problem.

I don't think begging or asking Sega for help is a option. They've never supported us only for merchandise, Ryo appearance in Sonic Racing and re releases after we funded Shenmue 3. I think we gotta face reality when it come to Sega. The only thing I can say is Yu said he would never give up so we can't either. If I win the lottery for 1 billion we'll get Shenmue 4,5,0 and Shenmue X Yakuza I promise.

I think our best shot is to get a publisher to take a plunge on Shenmue 4 and then we as a community fund Kickstarter for Shenmue 5. Maybe they could even put it in the contract Kickstarter has to fund 8 million of no game?

I think our best shot is to get a publisher to take a plunge on Shenmue 4 and then we as a community fund Kickstarter for Shenmue 5. Maybe they could even put it in the contract Kickstarter has to fund 8 million of no game?

Yeah but which publisher? Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco and so on
are probably way too big and i doubt that they want to take care of a IP from another company.
Why would they invest money in something that they dont even own?
These big publishers wont work.

Thats also why no other company is going to invest like 40+ mil oder whatever into this,
because they dont own the IP. Its not their series. Which means the project is already like capped
at a budget range that is never going to be close to AAA. Because no one is going to invest
this kind of money into a project that belongs to another company.
Even if Sega says that they are allowed to do with it whatever they want,
i doubt that its going to change anything.

So even 20-25 is probably already too high now because the companies saw that S3 didnt sell millions.
So its probably better to downgrade the budget to 10-15 mil
and then sooner or later we will reach the problem again
that thats not enough money for a full on Shenmue experience.
With that kind of budget we would reach the state of the original Kickstarter campaign
where Yu Suzuki said that maybe the NPCs wont be voiced and maybe there wont be mini games
and we have to reduce this and that ... so, would that be a better option?
It wouldnt be a classic full on Shenmue experience. It would be half of it.

Yeah but which publisher? Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco and so on
are probably way too big and i doubt that they want to take care of a IP from another company.
Why would they invest money in something that they dont even own?
These big publishers wont work.

Thats also why no other company is going to invest like 40+ mil oder whatever into this,
because they dont own the IP. Its not their series. Which means the project is already like capped
at a budget range that is never going to be close to AAA. Because no one is going to invest
this kind of money into a project that belongs to another company.
Even if Sega says that they are allowed to do with it whatever they want,
i doubt that its going to change anything.

So even 20-25 is probably already too high now because the companies saw that S3 didnt sell millions.
So its probably better to downgrade the budget to 10-15 mil
and then sooner or later we will reach the problem again
that thats not enough money for a full on Shenmue experience.
With that kind of budget we would reach the state of the original Kickstarter campaign
where Yu Suzuki said that maybe the NPCs wont be voiced and maybe there wont be mini games
and we have to reduce this and that ... so, would that be a better option?
It wouldnt be a classic full on Shenmue experience. It would be half of it.

Honestly 10-15 million might be enough I think most of the Shenmue staff will be working for peanuts. They want to finish this as much as we do. I think 15M would do we already have assets. The problem is Sega we need them on board is their series but deep down I think Sega has washed their hands of Shenmue. They wouldn't even let us use the Sega licenses and Shenmue is their IP ridiculous.

Honestly 10-15 million might be enough I think most of the Shenmue staff will be working for peanuts. They want to finish this as much as we do. I think 15M would do we already have assets. The problem is Sega we need them on board is their series but deep down I think Sega has washed their hands of Shenmue. They wouldn't even let us use the Sega licenses and Shenmue is their IP ridiculous.

Yeah a Sega in house development with a budget of 15 mil would be great.
But Sega canceled the Shenmue remake, Sega didnt fund Shenmue 3, Sega didnt allow S3
to use Sega IPs for mini games and collectibles, Sega didnt step in to make S4 as fast as possible ...
i dont know how the relationship between the heads of Sega and Yu Suzuki is.
It all seems very complicated. I dont see any like golden, optimal and realistic path for Shenmue 4.
All of the realistic paths are coming with some bad news.

Yeah a Sega in house development with a budget of 15 mil would be great.
But Sega canceled the Shenmue remake, Sega didnt fund Shenmue 3, Sega didnt allow S3
to use Sega IPs for mini games and collectibles, Sega didnt step in to make S4 as fast as possible ...
i dont know how the relationship between the heads of Sega and Yu Suzuki is.
It all seems very complicated. I dont see any like golden, optimal and realistic path for Shenmue 4.
All of the realistic paths are coming with some bad news.

What baffles me is they just ignore us. If anything after 15 years just be transparent. I wish Yu would do this as well stop being vague we've hung in there and fought the good fight for two decades at this point we should be lock step all the way.

Last edited:
What baffles me is they just ignore us. If anything after 15 years just be transparent. I wish Yu would do this as well stop being vague we've hung in there and fought the good fight for two decades at this point we should be lock stepnall the way.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, regarding the Shenmue wait (first 18 years and now 4+ years) it’s now been nearly a quarter century of waiting and we’ve run out of time.

It’s literally now or never of Shenmue 4.

We just need to get YS to communicate with us (the backers who funded Shenmue 3) what the future of the series is.

In another quarter century we will all be senior citizens and YS will be on his 90s we need answers now.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, regarding the Shenmue wait (first 18 years and now 4+ years) it’s now been nearly a quarter century of waiting and we’ve run out of time.

It’s literally now or never of Shenmue 4.

We just need to get YS to communicate with us (the backers who funded Shenmue 3) what the future of the series is.

In another quarter century we will all be senior citizens and YS will be on his 90s we need answers now.
I can tell you now unless they give up you won't be hearing anything.

Also to state by tagging SEGA you've got far more chance of any of our posts being recognised during Tweetathons and the like just due to the size of their accounts.

So it's not just about getting SEGA involved but also to piggyback a little bit.

But we also need to be doing more alongside and between Tweetathons

Back