Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Also to state by tagging SEGA you've got far more chance of any of our posts being recognised during Tweetathons and the like just due to the size of their accounts.

So it's not just about getting SEGA involved but also to piggyback a little bit.

But we also need to be doing more alongside and between Tweetathons

I was thinking that maybe the tweetathon isn't enough. Is there anyone the Dojo would be able to take all the tweetathon tweets and bombard them once a week? It could be setup like a mass email system.

I can tell you now unless they give up you won't be hearing anything.
But it’s possible that YS will not officially give up on completing Shenmue for another 10-20 years.

Better YS just level with us now right and spare us another quarter century wait??

Let’s be honest here Shenmue 3 getting made was a fluke. Kickstarter was a fad in the mid 2010s and it was like “hey IGA let’s create another Metroidvania! Hey old Rare peeps let’s create another Collectathon!” And Ryan Peyton (bless his heart) saw an opportunity and said “Oh yeah include a Shenmue 3 KS while we’re at it!”

I just think YS needs to come clean and admit S4 isn’t happening despite his wishes. If by some miracle S4 is in development he needs to tell us as well.

Last edited:
But it’s possible that YS will not officially give up on completing Shenmue for another 10-20 years.

Better YS just level with us now right and spare us another quarter century wait??

Let’s be honest here Shenmue 3 getting made was a fluke. Kickstarter was a fad in the mid 2010s and it was like “hey IGA let’s create another Metroidvania! Hey old Rare peeps let’s create another Collectathon!” And Ryan Peyton (bless his heart) saw an opportunity and said “Oh yeah include a Shenmue 3 KS while we’re at it!”

I just think YS needs to come clean and admit S4 isn’t happening despite his wishes. If by some miracle S4 is in development he needs to tell us as well.

Bro you don't raise 7M on a fluke. I know we're back to square one again but we a a community paid for Shenmue 3. Calling Shenmue 3 a fluke is taking shots at the community they dared us to make it happen and we did.

Bro you don't raise 7M on a fluke. I know we're back to square one again but we a a community paid for Shenmue 3. Calling Shenmue 3 a fluke is taking shots at the community they dared us to make it happen and we did.
It was a fluke because of the Kickstarter fad.

Without Kickstarter there would have been no Shenmue 3.

Of course we the fans came through to fund S3 many times over but the fact that there had to be a Kickstarter to begin with made it a fluke.

Last edited:
I was thinking that maybe the tweetathon isn't enough. Is there anyone the Dojo would be able to take all the tweetathon tweets and bombard them once a week? It could be setup like a mass email system.
We had looked at starting the mass auto tweet again but given twitters API among other things it got parked. We can get it looked at again.

But this is also partly why you've seen us hounding more recently. We're taking a more aggressive approach

It was a fluke because of the Kickstarter fad.

Without Kickstarter there would have been no Shenmue 3.

Of course we the fans came through to fund S3 many times over but the fact that there had to be a Kickstarter to begin with made it a fluke.

There is no such thing as Kickstarter fad. Either the project gets funded or it doesn't. There had to be Kickstarter because Shenmue is a game that didn't sell well on a already failed doomed console. Kickstarter proved there is a market.

He's not going to say anything.

If 4 was in development now he's not going to go against the development and marketing plans.

If it's not he's not going to say anything because people will jump on the 'it's dead' bandwagon.

He's the creator, he can do as he pleases and while we helped fund 3 he's under no obligation to tell us anything other than when/if they say its done.

Otherwise people need to get over it, move on from Shenmue 3 and put some effort into getting Shenmue 4 by making some damn noise. I've been saying it for 2 years now - we're in the hard yards.

He's not going to say anything.

If 4 was in development now he's not going to go against the development and marketing plans.

If it's not he's not going to say anything because people will jump on the 'it's dead' bandwagon.

He's the creator, he can do as he pleases and while we helped fund 3 he's under no obligation to tell us anything other than when/if they say its done.

Otherwise people need to get over it, move on from Shenmue 3 and put some effort into getting Shenmue 4 by making some damn noise. I've been saying it for 2 years now - we're in the hard yards.
But when YS asked us for money he said and I quote “The fate of Shenmue is in your hands now.” He didn’t say the fate of Shenmue 3 specifically, he said Shenmue in general and we paid.

I just think YS owes us communication.

I mean do we really think S4 is secretly in development? If it is why not just release a teaser trailer? Doesn’t even have to show anything just some dialogue over a black screen and then “the story goes on”.

Between the 110 rumors (is that still a thing??) the anonymous post about the game taking place in Shanghai, and the alleged leaked audio trailer….. is there a connection?

And regarding moving on from Shenmue 3, the game is only getting a bad rap because there is no S4 in sight.

I guarantee if S4 was already confirmed before S3 released no one would have cared about the alleged lack of story.

Last edited:
But when YS asked us for money he said and I quote “The fate of Shenmue is in your hands now.” He didn’t say the fate of Shenmue 3 specifically, he said Shenmue in general and we paid.

I just think YS owes us communication.

I mean do we really think S4 is secretly in development? If it is why not just release a teaser trailer? Doesn’t even have to show anything just some dialogue over a black screen and then “the story goes on”.

Between the 110 rumors (is that still a thing??) the anonymous post about the game taking place in Shanghai, and the alleged leaked audio trailer….. is there a connection?

And regarding moving on from Shenmue 3, the game is only getting a bad rap because there is no S4 in sight.

I guarantee if S4 was already confirmed before S3 released no one would have cared about the alleged lack of story.
He doesn't owe us anything. Remember they'd be no Shenmue 3 if all those years ago he'd binned it off.

I get the argument for it but the plain fact is that it ain't happening. Despite people wanting more comms. Believe me we've tried.

That 110 stuff is dead.

He doesn't owe us anything. Remember they'd be no Shenmue 3 if all those years ago he'd binned it off.

I get the argument for it but the plain fact is that it ain't happening. Despite people wanting more comms. Believe me we've tried.

That 110 stuff is dead.
Maybe we should write a letter to YsNet?

Also how do we know 110 is dead were they confirmed to be just trolling us?

This is pure speculation on my part: I'm beginning to wonder if 110 and Shenmue 4 were indeed connected, but those plans fell apart as soon as Wanted Dead bombed and its director left. Wanted Dead came out in February and no news has since come out about their other projects which were originally slated for 2024 (Vengeance is Mine, Red Goes Faster). No news on the 'big announcement' which they teased last year either.

According to the upper messages, it seems that 110 industries really have a way to make S4 happen before.
But now, it seems that we lose hope.

If they don’t have any concrete plans by end of 2024 I think it’s time to look at some other type of game or a whole different medium. We’re almost to the point where dwindling time is going to be a major factor. We know it will take at bare minimum two more games, probably three. There’s likely won’t be enough money or time for that many games unless by some miracle 4 is successful.

I’m hoping Sega is funding a prequel that is just a one-off(doesn’t put them on the hook for more). If they greenlight 4 and it bombs or they just decide not to make more it tarnishes their name that much more for Shenmue fans. So even though I don’t really care that much for a prequel I can see Sega doing that more likely than 4.

If they don’t have any concrete plans by end of 2024 I think it’s time to look at some other type of game or a whole different medium. We’re almost to the point where dwindling time is going to be a major factor. We know it will take at bare minimum two more games, probably three. There’s likely won’t be enough money or time for that many games unless by some miracle 4 is successful.

I’m hoping Sega is funding a prequel that is just a one-off(doesn’t put them on the hook for more). If they greenlight 4 and it bombs or they just decide not to make more it tarnishes their name that much more for Shenmue fans. So even though I don’t really care that much for a prequel I can see Sega doing that more likely than 4.

Prequel would be such a waste of money.

A prequel would only make sense if it had the Yakuza 0 effect and there's no promise of that.

Shenmue 4 can definately happen. It's whether they can do it with the earning potential lining up with the creative vision.

I don't think Yu Suzuki will say that Shenmue has no chance of being finished. He promised that he would always look for ways. Always means always. :p

My sixth sense tells me that Ys net and its partners have some clear idea of what Shenmue 4 will be. It's all a matter of signing an investment contract. Someone to believe in them.

The only way we can help right now is for every Shenmue fan to buy Air Twister and even give a gamer friend a copy for Christmas. This way we will keep Ysnet in the gaming business. Things can always change in the future, who knows what the new 2024 has in store for us.

From SEGA's announcements, I'm 90% sure they won't lift a finger on Shenmue 4. Maybe some very low budget Shenmue Zero with Ryo before the events of Shenmue 1. Of course, such a game would hurt the franchise more.

I dont think Sega is making something like a Shenmue 0 if they have no intention to make Shenmue 4.
They know that we are going to expect a official Shenmue 4 from them
as soon as they announce and release Shenmue 0. Because it would be a brand new project, build from scratch.

Also this would create some problems / inconsistencies because a official Sega Shenmue 0 nowadays
would not look like Shenmue 1 & 2 in terms of visual style.
So lets say Sega wants to get new fans on board with Shenmue 0
and they are trying their best to make the gameplay, dialogue and visuals up to date. To get this train going again.
... then how is this going to work with the original Shenmue 1 & 2?
Are these new people supposed to go from a modern Shenmue 0 to a like 25 years old Shenmue 1?
And then Shenmue 3 isnt even a Sega game. That seems questionable

Back