Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Ryo's next level training in Shenmue IV.

These days i was thinking about the stages of VF V that can appear in Shenmue IV, places that would be really interesting to see in the game in my opinion.

I know that a lot of things changed since VF RPG days but Shenmue III is a prove to me that Yu Suzuki didn't changed everything about the story, Ryo continues to learn Akira moves/bajiquan moves, we can say that Shenmue III is chapter cards 5, 6 and maybe some parts of chapter 4, Yu Suzuki didn't changed everything.

So here are the stages of VF V that i think it can appear in Shenmue IV.

Great Wall - Lau Chan Stage.

We can relate this stage with the place we saw in the ending of Shenmue III. Maybe we will see more about the Great Wall in Shenmue IV, would be nice if Shenmue IV start exactly where Shenmue III ended or even before that, we don't know what happened to Yushen Yuan after the ending, he came back to Bailu Village? probably but i think it would be nice if Shenmue IV start on that boat where Ryo had the conversation with Yushen Yuan, i just think it would be nice to show more details about this part.

In my opinion Yu Suzuki wanted to make more things about Shenmue III, i feel that even the Great Wall would be playable, would be nice to experience the Great Wall in gameplay.

1642545332642.png

Rwnq09k.gif

great-wall.jpg

Stage Ruins - Eileen Stage.

This stage is one of my favorites in the game, it is possible we can see a similar place in Shenmue IV. We can see some statues that reminds me about Luoyang. When i saw this stage for the first time i immediately thought about chapter 7 in the cards image, in my opinion it is the same place, would be so nice if Ryo meet a character similar to Eileen in the game, Ryo meeting someone that fights Kou Ken style, Monkey-Style Kung Fu, Eileen is my main in VF V and i think it will be nice if Ryo meet someone who fights Kou Ken Style.

in my opinion it is not impossible to see this sceneario in Shenmue IV. Would be so awesome to see this, and this have relation to the next stage.

1642546417944.png
5190708-the-longmen-grottoes-in-luoyang-was-cutted-in-the-year-when-wei-emperor-xiaowen-go-to-luoyang-ad-494.jpg

1642546449021.png
1642546554567.png

Stage Deep Mountains - Lei Fei Stage

The next stage that could appear as a place in Shenmue IV in my opinion is Deep Mountains.

In my opinion this stage even feel like a continuation of the Ruins stage, maybe is just me imagining too much but it is nice to imagine what can happen in Shenmue IV. I can imagine Ryo maybe with Ren and Shenhua going up the mountains, maybe facing some enemies along the way, then they arrive in this place and maybe it will be in a place similar to this stage that Ryo will train with a Shaolin Monk Master, would be so awesome to see this, or maybe this place will not appear like this, it will be in other location, all i know is that is not impossible for this stages to apeear in Shenmue IV as scenarios in the game.

1642547381143.png

This stages will appear in Shenmue IV? only time will tell, all i know is that would be beautiful to see this places in Shenmue IV.

Here i am again thinking about what can happen in Shenmue IV...

CKEfIVEWwAAUfki

Ren like this with the horse remind me about the stage Grassland in VF V Ultimate Showdown, would be nice if we see this place in Shenmue IV.

1643047789292.png

Here we can see Shenhua riding a horse as well.

EiGhtpxXgAEuU5s

I think would be so awesome if in one part of Shenmue IV we can control Ryo riding a horse, i say only Ryo because this is his journey but probably Ren and Shenhua will be close to Ryo in this part, this is a nice idea in my opinion. So many possibilities of things Yu Suzuki can do in Shenmue IV.

I really feel that if Shenmue IV happen it will be an intense and emotional game with a lot of scenes like this, LetsGetShenmueIV 😊

Last edited:
Just a musing thought:

February 6th brings Shenmue back into the spotlight with the anime. Rumor has it that Sony has an event planned in February(State of Play)..good time to announce Shenmue IV...

But as always, we'll just hope and wait.

Here i am again thinking about what can happen in Shenmue IV...

CKEfIVEWwAAUfki

Ren like this with the horse remind me about the stage Grassland in VF V Ultimate Showdown, would be nice if we see this place in Shenmue IV.

View attachment 13882

Here we can see Shenhua riding a horse as well.

EiGhtpxXgAEuU5s

I think would be so awesome if in one part of Shenmue IV we can control Ryo riding a horse, i say only Ryo because this is his journey but probably Ren and Shenhua will be close to Ryo in this part, this is a nice idea in my opinion. So many possibilities of things Yu Suzuki can do in Shenmue IV.

I really feel that if Shenmue IV happen it will be an intense and emotional game with a lot of scenes like this, LetsGetShenmueIV 😊
I guess that's an earlier incarnation of Shenhua from the past.

I guess that's an earlier incarnation of Shenhua from the past.

Maybe... Yu Suzuki said that Shenhua has the ability to remember her ancestors, that she has the faculty to link her to them.

in Shenmue III Shenhua said it's like she's lived a thousand birthdays, was something like this so this things are not impossible, i just hope we can see more about this things in Shenmue IV.

If the Yakuza series has taught us anything it's that you can use the same environments and still have a kickass game. Yu Suzuki has often said that he only loosely uses the Shenmue script for the games anyway, so to save money, use the same environments, reinclude Yokosuka for S4 and tee-up everything for a final game that could be S4 DLC if it fails to sell enough for S5.

On a side note, does anyone else want the ending of the series to be kind of dark? I kind of want Ryo's dad to be a mass murderer, Lan Di to be a decent guy and die protecting Ryo and then Ryo live with a great deal of regret for ever wanting revenge. ......and Ine-san to be a ninja....or Chai's master.:LOL:

Last edited:
Shenmue 4 if scaled down tremendously and with all the kinks in 3 ironed out and with various modernizations implemented, I think would have a decent chance of a greenlight you just need to get that budget down really. Shenmue is something that will never interest a mainstream audience. It had its chance with 3 but YS Net and Deep Silver blew it, so we must be realistic now. It is possible, but with considerable constraints and maybe even self-publication. If Sega were just winning to sell it off to Suzuki he'd have much less burden to find an outside benefactor, as he could profit directly off of games sales and merch ect.

I think if we do not get an announcement in 2022 or 2023, the ship for S4 in game form will have sailed. I can't immagine the groundwork that S3 has laid, being in Unreal 4 and made for a bygone console generation would be worth much in, say, 2025.

I think if we do not get an announcement in 2022 or 2023, the ship for S4 in game form will have sailed. I can't immagine the groundwork that S3 has laid, being in Unreal 4 and made for a bygone console generation would be worth much in, say, 2025.
Nah, this is incorrect and seriously undue pessimism, lol.

UE4 projects can be ported forward to UE5 by design. UE5 hasn't officially "shipped" yet and there's no way it'll be replaced by 2025 or somehow made incompatible with UE4 workflows.

Shenmue 4 announcement this year I can feel it.
Loving the positivity. I hope so too, preferably at the end of the anime!

I was just thinking about the main antagonist(s) for Shenmue 4 and how they will have to be a level up on the foes Ryo has faced so far. Do Niu was overwhelming Ryo due to his size and brute strength, yet he lacked real skill as a martial artist. Yanglang and muscles especially, had brawn and skills. In Shenmue 4 I'm expecting Ryo to be tested by someone whose strength and skill is a little more hidden/subtle. Niao Sun certainly fits the bill here.

I wonder if the game will dive straight into Chiyoumen as the antagonists or if there will be another affiliated gang in our way again.

I believe a fight with Niao Sun and other Chiyomen leaders were in the original Shenmue 3 design document so I would imagine they would be the primary focus in a potential Shenmue 4 but we will have to see.

In Shenmue 4 I'm expecting Ryo to be tested by someone whose strength and skill is a little more hidden/subtle. Niao Sun certainly fits the bill here.
I'm personally predicting that it might be Ziming, but it depends where he falls in terms of allegiances after the Chi-You-Men split and whether he and Niao Sun come as a package.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised with a scenario where Ziming is the primary antagonist to get through to Niao Sun... only to find Lan Di has gotten there first and taken possession of both mirrors.

I'm personally predicting that it might be Ziming, but it depends where he falls in terms of allegiances after the Chi-You-Men split and whether he and Niao Sun come as a package.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised with a scenario where Ziming is the primary antagonist to get through to Niao Sun... only to find Lan Di has gotten there first and taken possession of both mirrors.
I hope so. The comic does seem to imply that Ziming works under Niao Sun, so it definitely makes sense.

Back