Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I have finished watching Episode 1 crunchyroll in Japanese now and It was pretty good. The animation style was good and the main characters looked quite similar to the game characters. Good enough for me to really like the art style. The changed the pace of the story in order to make it more suitable for an Anime. I do not like that part that well Ryo did not had to look for the information about the black car and the chinese cartel while meeting up with Nozomi. But well I can understand why they did it. Most of the audiance would not be very glad watching Ryo running around for some time and asking people random stuff. Sone minor details were rather cool as well like Yamagishi San visting Iwao and Talking to Ryo before the tournament. Was not big fan the Chai segment though. From the Anime point of view it was a good idea to use Chai as instrument to show the growth of Ryo as character but I still prefer the way Chai was introduced in the game.

All in All I think that the Anime is going to be good Anime. From the point of view of a Shenmue fan it is going to have few flaws but that cannot be helped. Shenmue in it's original form is to difficult to mold into the standard Anime formula.

it is a good thing that Shenmue got an Anime and I have the feeling it is going to be a good Anime. The first episode was more than promising.

Last edited:
How many seasons do you guys bet shenmue anime will have?
I think the most likely scenario is just 1 (I'm trying to not get my hopes up), but hopefully we get at least 2. I think they could bring Shenmue 3's story to life and cast a much more positive light on it.

I'd hope for 3 seasons to wrap up the entire story. Maybe season 2 to go through Shenmue 3 and 4, and then season 3 for Shenmue 5 and the grand finale. If they end up having to shorten down things, just streamline the story and finish it in two seasons. I'd be happy with that as well.

That doesn't mean more games cannot come out of course.

Is it getting much attention outside the Shenmue community? I noticed no ones talking about it on the anime Reddit, though someone did ask about a thread.

Is there anyone here with an established reddit account that would be willing to make a thread for the show? Assuming one hasn't already been made between now and the time of mjqjazzbar's post. I'd create an account to upvote it or w/e, and I'm sure other people here would be willing to help format the post if you want the help.

Is there anyone here with an established reddit account that would be willing to make a thread for the show? Assuming one hasn't already been made between now and the time of mjqjazzbar's post. I'd create an account to upvote it or w/e, and I'm sure other people here would be willing to help format the post if you want the help.
Plebbit is just dogshit. Plus I don't use social media I just use this forum.

It is interesting to see the differences on the users rating the anime in Crunchyroll, Google and MyAnimelist, MyAnimeList is where the rating is low.

Crunchyroll, on Crunchyroll many people said it was beautiful and other things, i don't know if the rating in Crunchyroll is different for every country.

1644248935156.png

When i search Shenmue Anime on Google this appear.

Google: 97 % liked this TV Program

1644248986685.png

MyAnimeList: 6.73

1644249015350.png

I think that if we are getting a season 2, then that will be it for the series in video game form, especially if season 2 is announced and released before Shenmue 4. Season 2 would easily cover Shenmue 3 and more of the story beyond that game, and I just don't see them going back and making a game if the anime's story overtakes the games story.

It is interesting to see the differences on the users rating the anime in Crunchyroll, Google and MyAnimelist, MyAnimeList is where the rating is low.

Crunchyroll, on Crunchyroll many people said it was beautiful and other things, i don't know if the rating in Crunchyroll is different for every country.

View attachment 14057

When i search Shenmue Anime on Google this appear.

Google: 97 % liked this TV Program

View attachment 14058

MyAnimeList: 6.73

View attachment 14059
Thanks for the breakdown. I just gave it a 10/thumbs up/etc on each respective site. I also rated something else after signing up on MAL due to @Rydeen 's point about them possibly purging accounts/scores.

PS @RetroLord120 they nuked your sig for some reason. really cool hamster avatar btw.

Last edited:
I'm betting for 2 or 3 seasons as well. Really liked first episode besides some nitpicks (Shenhua and Nozomi look too different, imo).

I watched the first episode and to me it's way too "anime" to enjoy it like I enjoy Shenmue. My dream is/was, if we needed a Shenmue anime, a Studio Ghibli production. Only they could've achieved the perfect Shenmue tone for my taste, but no one's spending $50 million on a beautifully hand drawn 8-series Shenmue so I'll take what I can get. Might get around to doing that 10/10 on MAL regardless, cuz Shenmue needs our support, and I don't really have strong opinions about anime so I don't take my rating as some solemn oath to the Anime Gods.

Back