Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

One thing I like about the English dub of the first game is how all of the characters voices sound natural. Like, that’s the voice I’d picture coming out of Shozo Muzuki, for instance, if he was a real person and fluent in English.

Also, does anyone else find much of the English dub comforting, and almost relaxing in a way? There are certain characters that give off this vibe, like the travel agent guy at the beginning of the game.

He specifies in the comments that he wasnt asked to play Ryo in the anime. It makes sense given anime is a different beast. Production companies probably have their go-to VAs for anime, just like game studios do. Look at it this way: has Corey ever done an anime? I'm not sure he has? While I believe the JP Ryo has played other popular characters in anime. Makes sense to me.
I was doing some digging on the new actors and most are from Houston Texss. Bill Black told me there's a good VO scene in Dallas so I'd expect it was done in Houston or Dallas.

Also re Corey. Fair play to him. I'd happily have him back for 4 and ideally with the writing from the Anime team, assuming it is as good as the trailers suggest.

Also, as a little warning, if the Anime does well, there's a chance that they may cast the Anime VO for the game. If the Anime is popular then that option becomes viable.

I was doing some digging on the new actors and most are from Houston Texss. Bill Black told me there's a good VO scene in Dallas so I'd expect it was done in Houston or Dallas.

Also re Corey. Fair play to him. I'd happily have him back for 4 and ideally with the writing from the Anime team, assuming it is as good as the trailers suggest.

Also, as a little warning, if the Anime does well, there's a chance that they may cast the Anime VO for the game. If the Anime is popular then that option becomes viable.
I think Yu Suzuki said it was possible to wrap the story up in 4 games but ideally 5 games to finish all the outlined chapters. Hopefully if the game saga can be finished, Corey will voice Ryo until the end of the story.

Im seeing a lot of non fans saying they're definitely gonna check the anime out. Some even say, they can't wait to see it.

Good times up ahead for us

I'm sure the HD collections have sold well and if this anime does good with SEGA behind it, they will be forced to pay attention. If not, we still have other publishers who are not as silly as SEGA, so all good.

I think we'll get a Shenmue 4, but I reckon if the anime does good, we're going to Shenmue 5 with some additional anime seasons

Good times up ahead for us

I'm sure the HD collections have sold well and if this anime does good with SEGA behind it, they will be forced to pay attention. If not, we still have other publishers who are not as silly as SEGA, so all good.
I don't have a problem with how Sega have handled the series in recent years. The series has been known to be a 'cult classic' but is very divisive to be honest, and lost them a lot of money and they still licensed it out to Suzuki to kickstart Shenmue 3 and licensed the rights out to crunchyroll to make an anime. I appreciate them for that, all things considered. Imo Square Enix are far worse who have licenses for Chrono Trigger and Legacy of Kain, vaulted away.

I don't have a problem with how Sega have handled the series in recent years. The series has been known to be a 'cult classic' but is very divisive to be honest, and lost them a lot of money and they still licensed it out to Suzuki to kickstart Shenmue 3 and licensed the rights out to crunchyroll to make an anime. I appreciate them for that, all things considered. Imo Square Enix are far worse who have licenses for Chrono Trigger and Legacy of Kain, vaulted away.
Legacy of Kain. I haven't heard that name in decades. Great series

I'm really enjoying seeing the new fans wanting to check out the anime, and interacting with new fans on twitch who are playing Shenmue for the first time. I reckon the fan base will be expanding for sure in the near future.

I like to think that Yu wouldn’t allow this to happen, but if Corey were to be recast in Shenmue 4 then I’d switch to playing it in Japanese. I’d also support/organize some sort of crowdfunding campaign to create an Eric Kelso style mod to get Corey added into the game. Him being recast in the anime kind of makes sense in some ways, but ousting him from the games would be a douche move, particularly for somebody who - from the trailer, at least (which I appreciate isn’t much to go on) - is no better.

Edit: The obvious solution would be to use Corey as default and then offer an anime voice pack as DLC.

Last edited:
I reckon Corey will be in future games for sure, as will Eric Kelso.

The anime is it's own thing which is fine. Don't forget, they recasted Shenhua in the anime and in the game, she's played by a professional voice actress.

Two different versions is fine.

A message from Corey Marshall
What a class act. I know it must be painful, but him confirming that bringing in new fans can only be a good thing for Shenmue was wonderful to hear.

And if the new voices were to do a potential Shenmue IV, I wouldn't object to helping fund a mod where Corey did some key lines (although I imagine it's a whole other level compared to Eric doing Ren's lines for Shenmue III)

I just don't see myself playing the games or watching the anime in English in the future so I'm not as invested, but I still have a lot of respect for Corey. He'll always be the "real" English Ryo for those of us who grew up with the games.

Honestly, I think the anime is extremely vital to the future of the franchise. Set aside S3's mixed critical reception for a second -- it's the general sentiment towards the franchise (and S3) that's the most damning. Outside of hardcore fans, most people view S3 as wasted potential, and see Shenmue as a fading franchise.

The anime is a chance to change the sentiment around the franchise, and prove to everyone that Shenmue is good. That is has cool characters, a great mystery, solid story, etc.

I just don't see why a publisher would want to back S4 at this very moment when the cult appeal and status has dissipated since S3. The anime is the last-minute electric shock the franchise sorely needs.

As long as Corey is back for Shenmue 4, then it's all good. He really can't be replaced for the games. The anime is a different media so I can understand why they went for a different VA. Though they kept Masaya Matsukaze for the Japanese anime track so... :unsure:

I see your awesome Wang and raise you the two greatest English dubs ever (both timestamped, but you can watch the whole thing for tons of awesomeness):

(dig the RHCP shirt :LOL:)

And the greatest of all:

This is actually unbelievable. Ive never seen that second clip before. OH MY GOD I'm crying...PLEASE GET OUT!!!

Back