Mass shooting at Florida gaming event

Peter

Administrator
I mean.... No words

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45315970

Several people have been killed in a mass shooting at an entertainment complex in Jacksonville, Florida, police say.

The sheriff's office said on Twitter that many people had been wounded and urged people to avoid the area.

They said a suspect was dead at the scene.

Reports suggest the shooting happened during a video game tournament in the Jacksonville Landing area.

Dozens of shots can be heard in a video that appears to show the event being streamed online.

It was being broadcast live on Twitch for fuck sakes. I don't even want to post the video, it's that harrowing. It cuts to full screen game just before the gunman opens fire, where you can see the laser pointer on one of the players. After that it's audio only. I feel sick to be honest, and angry. RIP to the 4 reported dead. Thoughts and prayers with their families.

It's a horrible tragedy to be sure. Apparently, the gunman was a player who recently lost in the tournament, then opened fire on the remaining players before killing himself. What a waste of human life and potential. The gunman is a selfish coward.

It's a horrible tragedy to be sure. Apparently, the gunman was a player who recently lost in the tournament, then opened fire on the remaining players before killing himself. What a waste of human life and potential. The gunman is a selfish coward.

imo you dont take a gun to an event like that unless your planning to kill people.

the gun "man" was a complete loser.

What abysmal security that event had if he could get in with a gun like that. If EA hosted the event which I believe they did (or whomever) they are going to be sued mightily.

What abysmal security that event had if he could get in with a gun like that. If EA hosted the event which I believe they did (or whomever) they are going to be sued mightily.
I'm not familiar with this particular tournament (or Madden tournaments in general) but I know it can be difficult/ expensive for smaller tournaments to hire private security or police to protect the venue. This can lead to higher tournament fees, so some have suggested just letting people carry firearms. This whole incident may have ended more quickly with less people injured if the gunman had someone firing back at him. This incident occurred in a "gun-free zone" which of course means that law-abiding citizens will be disarmed.

I went to a decent-sized fighting game tournament in North Carolina in October of 2017 and there were police officers EVERYWHERE, so I had a pretty good sense of security.

I'm not familiar with this particular tournament (or Madden tournaments in general) but I know it can be difficult/ expensive for smaller tournaments to hire private security or police to protect the venue. This can lead to higher tournament fees, so some have suggested just letting people carry firearms. This whole incident may have ended more quickly with less people injured if the gunman had someone firing back at him. This incident occurred in a "gun-free zone" which of course means that law-abiding citizens will be disarmed.

I went to a decent-sized fighting game tournament in North Carolina in October of 2017 and there were police officers EVERYWHERE, so I had a pretty good sense of security.

Then EA won't endorse or sanction an event like this again if it can't have searches before you walk in like a sporting event. EA knows they are getting sued for this by the families of those lost and injured and the families will win easily. I deal with this subject in my line of profession.

My own callous reaction to these incidents disgusts me, somehow I've mentally resigned myself to the idea that this is just something that happens in America every now and then. My first thought when I saw the news wasn't about how shocking it all was but rather "yeah it has been a few weeks since they had one of those."

I'm aware that's truly appalling and would like to somehow adjust my outlook on it but the cynic in me says that it'll happen again soon, don't be upset.

I imagine gun control will be a hot topic for a few days, from my position in a country with strict gun control laws and virtually no gun crime it seems so simple to pontificate about more stringent gun control but honestly I don't believe even the most extreme gun control law reform would solve the issue. It's one of those problems I just can't see any solution to whatsoever.

My own callous reaction to these incidents disgusts me, somehow I've mentally resigned myself to the idea that this is just something that happens in America every now and then. My first thought when I saw the news wasn't about how shocking it all was but rather "yeah it has been a few weeks since they had one of those."

I'm aware that's truly appalling and would like to somehow adjust my outlook on it but the cynic in me says that it'll happen again soon, don't be upset.

I imagine gun control will be a hot topic for a few days, from my position in a country with strict gun control laws and virtually no gun crime it seems so simple to pontificate about more stringent gun control but honestly I don't believe even the most extreme gun control law reform would solve the issue. It's one of those problems I just can't see any solution to whatsoever.

I get the impression from watching British TV that people there think that this is a regular occurrence. It's not which is why it's on the news. It's a nation of nearly 330 million, the odds of your being a victim in a mass shooting is as rare as lottery winner or bear attack. The liberal news media hypes it up to promote their activist agendas. Yes it's unfortunate, but it's not common.

I get the impression from watching British TV that people there think that this is a regular occurrence.
the odds of your being a victim in a mass shooting is as rare as lottery winner or bear attack.
Wait isn't the lottery won regularly? I get that you mean "you" winning the lotto and "you" being involved in a mass shooting but even so as an outsider even your rationalisations frighten me.

I don't want to turn this topic into a debate about gun violence as I said in my previous post I have no solutions to offer.

Wait isn't the lottery won regularly? I get that you mean "you" winning the lotto and "you" being involved in a mass shooting but even so as an outsider even your rationalisations frighten me.

I don't want to turn this topic into a debate about gun violence as I said in my previous post I have no solutions to offer.

I understand, I just get the impression that people outside think that bullets are flying through the air regularly and that's not close to accurate. The vast majority of the country is peaceful.

I understand, I just get the impression that people outside think that bullets are flying through the air regularly and that's not close to accurate. The vast majority of the country is peaceful.
I can't really speak for everyone but I would say the consensus here in the UK is that America has gun related fatalities every day and a mass shooting every few weeks, a quick check into the statistics does seem to indicate that's a reasonably accurate appraisal.

I understand that data can be interpreted in a number of ways though and as you've rightly pointed out you are a nation with a huge population but even as a reasonably logical person I'm actually not sure if any statistic showing say rate of fatality offset say by overall population could ever satisfy my base feeling that it's still too much.

It is tragic to see that this had to happen. I hope the authorities are doing what they can to evaluate what happened and if EA chooses to continue the event, then they can improve their security detail in the future. Maybe prior to the event, if someone is registering, they should require background checks prior to letting them enter.

To be fair it's not like you expect a madden tournament in a bar to be shot up.

What is it going to take for the US to change the gun control laws? Seriously, enough is enough. As Bambi said, it feels like every other week we hear about something like this.

These things are relative.

Between April 2015 through to the end of March 2016, there were a total of 26 gun-related homicides in the United Kingdom.
Source:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...dixtablesfocusonviolentcrimeandsexualoffences

In the Unites States, the CDC reports 12,979 deaths by homicide in calendar year 2015.
Source:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

The United States has just five times the population of the United Kingdom, but almost five hundred times the gun homicide rate.

Not everybody in Monaco is a millionaire, but I'm sure you can excuse people for assuming most people in Monaco are wealthy, because the statistical average wealth is far higher than the rest of the world. It's the same kind of thing.

Who would do such a thing?

These things are relative.

Between April 2015 through to the end of March 2016, there were a total of 26 gun-related homicides in the United Kingdom.
Source:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...dixtablesfocusonviolentcrimeandsexualoffences

In the Unites States, the CDC reports 12,979 deaths by homicide in calendar year 2015.
Source:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

The United States has just five times the population of the United Kingdom, but almost five hundred times the gun homicide rate.

Not everybody in Monaco is a millionaire, but I'm sure you can excuse people for assuming most people in Monaco are wealthy, because the statistical average wealth is far higher than the rest of the world. It's the same kind of thing.

I said mass shootings, not total homicides. Most of those are by gang members to other gangs and some are self defense.

Well, there's quite A LOT of presumed self defense and gang violence to be so damn dismissive haha

There's quite a lot in Europe too, I don't know if being stabbed is better than being shot.

This here is the key thing. Guns are blanket banned in most European countries, yet the murder rates aren't that much lower - people just stab each other to death instead. And then the response is to do what the UK does and arrest people for carrying a butterknife with intent to make a sandwich.

Back