Is the timing of the QTE's broken?

I feel in the era of 1 and 2 with CRT's the QTE were much more managable since CRTs have very little input lag, new HDTVs have more inherent input lag which could be causing issues for some users.

I feel in the era of 1 and 2 with CRT's the QTE were much more managable since CRTs have very little input lag, new HDTVs have more inherent input lag which could be causing issues for some users.

Yup. People, don't forget to set your TV's to Game Mode! it helps quite a bit

Okay I just got to that catching chickens thing and did it on my first try. I didn't even realize it was timed until I had two chickens left. Got the last one at yellow timer.

I'm not particularly good with QTE so I wonder if something else affects it? Like any of the stats? Difficulty selection? (I played with recommended)
I'm playing the game on "Hardest" because it gives me the right amount of challenge in combat.
At Bailu Village, the chickens on "Hardest" had me considering self-decapitation after like 15-20 failed attempts.
With the chickens I managed the 2-button part, I managed the 3-button part, the last 4-button part was basically impossible.
At that point I just switched temporarily to "Easy" because I didn't really care anymore.

QTE timing in general on "Hardest" difficulty is alien level type of stuff. I fail 95% of the time and I feel it's not balanced with the difficulty offered in combat parts, at all.

Last edited:
Yes I had this observation last week after completing the game. I played on hard and thought the timing window was just too short for regular QTE’s and ended up failing the majority of them first time.

It seriously felt like it wasn’t play tested properly and I too was disappointed how most chase sequences has instant fail state unlike previous games.

100% agreed. I played through Shenmue I & II on Dreamcast right before going through III, and in the first 2 I literally did not miss a single QTE throughout the entirety of the playthrough (even the planks in the Ghost Hall building!). In Shenmue III, I'm not exaggerating when I say I missed 95+% of the QTEs. This was made even more infuriating because there are no branching QTE paths when you fail like in the originals, so every time you fail it's just game over, reset.

The only way I managed to get through the QTEs in III was to just see what buttons I had to hit and remember them, trial and error. Even knowing the buttons, I could see the QTE timer being half finished by the time I got to the input! The QTE timers in III are badly broken, and need to be patched ASAP imo. They're not very fun, and they honestly sucked a lot of the emotion and tension out of the otherwise awesome sequences.
The fact that they don't branch is a big disappointment for me. Must be a product of the budget.

They are not broken. You are just an old man. Your reflexes are gone lol.

In all seriousness, suzuki is hardcore and old school. He probably made it difficult on purpose. I got use to it after the first few qtes

In all seriousness, suzuki is hardcore and old school. He probably made it difficult on purpose. I got use to it after the first few qtes
lol I replayed 1&2 recently and they were a lot easier. It's like every QTE in this game is like the final Ghost Hall planks.

they're not broken, just tight and like the ones in Shenmue II: first you're shown the sequence, then you hear a sound and you input the commands (very) quickly :)

See, I really started to think this! I remember playing the HD remakes and fucking the QTEs up there too and just thinking "how the fuck did I do this as a kid?!" But then before Shenmue III I replayed I & II on Dreamcast, and no exaggeration I didn't miss a single QTE throughout the entirety of both games.

I think maybe it has to do with modern televisions having less input-lag or something, because I was playing my Dreamcast on an old CRT. Either way, the QTEs in Shenmue III are way too fast for my liking. I even switched my TV to "game-mode" after hearing about how this might help. Nope, I'm still dog shit.

See, I really started to think this! I remember playing the HD remakes and fucking the QTEs up there too and just thinking "how the fuck did I do this as a kid?!" But then before Shenmue III I replayed I & II on Dreamcast, and no exaggeration I didn't miss a single QTE throughout the entirety of both games.

I think maybe it has to do with modern televisions having less input-lag or something, because I was playing my Dreamcast on an old CRT. Either way, the QTEs in Shenmue III are way too fast for my liking. I even switched my TV to "game-mode" after hearing about how this might help. Nope, I'm still dog shit.
CRTs actually have less "input lag" than LCD screens :p Your TV probably has something in the vicinity of 8-10ms (might have gaming mode that will lower it - or unless it's a plasma or oled) whereas CRTs don't really have this problem.

You can read more about it here:-

Definitely not broken, the window is just very short. I can get them right like 80% of the time. It's annoying to get them wrong though, since all it does is replay the scene.

Not broken but less reponsive than I and II and other bunch of PS4 titles. So far the worst part of the game for me

CRTs actually have less "input lag" than LCD screens :p Your TV probably has something in the vicinity of 8-10ms (might have gaming mode that will lower it - or unless it's a plasma or oled) whereas CRTs don't really have this problem.

You're 100% right, and I'm sure you know this, just want to clarify for anyone reading that it's actually display lag when it's the set, input lag is for controller lag. Though they both boil down to the same thing: a delay between you pressing the button and the actions on screen. Display lag means the game is being shown a little later than it's actual timing (which can also throw off sound in extreme cases), and input lag is a delay between pressing a button and the console receiving it.

Combine the two and it makes playing older timing heavy games a nightmare.

Last edited:
If you play on PC, make sure that v-sync is enabled. Chickens QTEs were impossible (like 1/5 of a second) for me without it.

+1 for QTEs being too hard this time around. I came directly from a Shenmue 2 playthrough and 3 is a bit more difficult (I'm playing on normal difficulty). However, I don't mind the chicken QTEs being a bit tough because they get easier after you miss, and I had no trouble completing the minigame.

Oh wow, I have no idea why I'd always assumed the opposite. Thanks for correcting! Then yeah, I have no idea why but I absolutely suck at the QTEs in Shenmue III and even the Shenmue remasters, but I can breeze through them on Dreamcast no problem. Maybe it has something to do with the frame rates being slower on Dreamcast?

I even switched my TV to "game-mode" after hearing about how this might help. Nope, I'm still dog shit.

If you have a modern flat panel you should also play video games with ‘game mode’ enabled. It will reduce latency.

Not directed at you but it still shocks me that people invest and buy 4K TV’s and don’t bother to optimize and have different settings for films, sports and video games. You don’t necessarily need your TV professionally calibrated but go online and for most models you will be given ideal settings you should have your display set as.

Maybe not broken, but ridiculous nonetheless. I really hope they patch this to be a little more reasonable like the original games.

Back