Is the timing of the QTE's broken?

I cannot believe this.

The QTE's have some horrendous timing on them
Chasing the chickens was just completely unfair

It gives literally like half a second to press them. Every single one of them you'll fail and then do it again by mashing the button you know it's going to be.

Also it doesn't have the classic beep sound from the 1st two games, now it's like a generic QTE found in other games. Just disappointed by the QTEs... the really big problem is the timing and I don't understand how they didn't check this. I hope it gets patched because this is some major issue that ruins the experience.

No, they are not broken. The timing is very strict but if you repeatedly fail QTE in that mini-game then the game will grant you half a second more time to do the prompt.
Also, the way the QTE's work in this game is that it first shows you the button press icon without starting the timer, then it bleeps while time is quickly running out, hence why some people think that it does not recognize the input when the timer has not started in fact.

Had no issues with the input. They're still incredibly fast where you fail 80% of them first time. It's more of a case of failing and just learning the button prompt for next time which shouldn't be the case.

I also don't think they are broken, the ones you were talking about were just extremely fast but manageable. Remember that the difficultly setting changes the amount of time that you have to perform the QTE, which is something that we didn't have in Shenmue 1 and 2, thus that could explain why the feel faster. I'm currently playing on Hard and although they are very fast, I like the speed and have managed to do them all so far.

They aren't broken.

They're not broken, but I do feel they're too fast. It's like walking across the last couple of planks in the Ghost Hall Building. But for every QTE.

As for the mini-game referenced, my strategy was to simply guess the input for the first two efforts. The QTE then slows down enough for the third attempt where you have a decent chance of getting it right. And it's easy for the fourth attempt.

I think the window is just too tight on them. Although, I did have one instance where I swear I pushed the right button in the timing window and it didn't respond. So maybe a few bugs...but for the most part I think it's just a much tighter window than ever before.

I'm slightly disappointed the scenes are no longer dynamic. I really liked it when you failed in the old games. It would change the flow of the scene but keep it going. It was a little disappointing to see the QTE's here are canned to one set path with no dynamic stages to them. Oh well, budget.<rubs fingers together symbolising need of money>

Last edited:
I thought it was just because I was getting old...

But I thought Yu said something about how he wanted to make Shenmue 3 accessible for those without quick reactions - what I see is that, on “normal” difficulty, you need to be super fast for QTEs, and the button pushes required to get “great” when learning moves are also very quick - I can manage those easily when I use the “claw grip” that I adopted for fighting games, but not the standard way I’d hold a controller.

I thought it was just because I was getting old...

But I thought Yu said something about how he wanted to make Shenmue 3 accessible for those without quick reactions - what I see is that, on “normal” difficulty, you need to be super fast for QTEs, and the button pushes required to get “great” when learning moves are also very quick - I can manage those easily when I use the “claw grip” that I adopted for fighting games, but not the standard way I’d hold a controller.

Timing ain't much different on hard. I thought maybe the timing windows would have changed according to difficulty but by the sounds of that they're the same then. Because they're pretty tight on hard as well.

I also think it's the fact that they're no longer dynamic as well that makes 'em slightly more annoying this time around. Having to repeat the scene when you fail is a little disappointing. I liked the way the older games handled it where failing dynamically changed the scene but kept it going.

Also, someone should cut together a comparison video of early footage compared to final game...because I'm noticing a lot of familiar scenes from early trailers. Would be interesting to see them side by side and show people how much better looking it got over the years of development.

When it comes to the chickens, some of the QTEs are extremely fast, to the point where I think it's done on purpose. Some chickens are just reacting faster than you are. While other chickens react a lot slower and are much easier to grab.

That being said, some of the QTEs are complete BS.

I think their timing is wrong, even for younger folks with fresher brains...

I had to smash the buttons randomly to catch all the chickens. That was not fun at all.

Okay I just got to that catching chickens thing and did it on my first try. I didn't even realize it was timed until I had two chickens left. Got the last one at yellow timer.

I'm not particularly good with QTE so I wonder if something else affects it? Like any of the stats? Difficulty selection? (I played with recommended)

Okay I just got to that catching chickens thing and did it on my first try. I didn't even realize it was timed until I had two chickens left. Got the last one at yellow timer.

I'm not particularly good with QTE so I wonder if something else affects it? Like any of the stats? Difficulty selection? (I played with recommended)
The QTE timer gets quicker depending on difficultly. So playing on Challenge, you will have less time to input the QTE. I personally think that that is great, and I don't think there is any issue with the QTEs at the moment. Even new QTEs that catch me off guard, I've managed to hit.
With the chickens, it was pretty easy, because you could work out that there were only a few buttons to use. Once you work that out, it's you can just be ready for those buttons and it's easy.

Last edited:
The QTE timer gets quicker depending on difficultly. So playing on Challenge, you will have less time to input the QTE. I personally think that that is great, and I don't think there is any issue with the QTEs at the moment. Even new QTEs that catch me off guard, I've managed to hit.
With the chickens, it was pretty easy, because you could work out that there were only a few buttons to use (first time I think it was X, B, second time it was X,Y,B, and last time it was all 4, X, Y, B, A) Once you work that out, it's you can just be ready for those buttons and it's easy.

W-wait, you need to catch chickens multiple times? lol I have only done so once

100% agreed. I played through Shenmue I & II on Dreamcast right before going through III, and in the first 2 I literally did not miss a single QTE throughout the entirety of the playthrough (even the planks in the Ghost Hall building!). In Shenmue III, I'm not exaggerating when I say I missed 95+% of the QTEs. This was made even more infuriating because there are no branching QTE paths when you fail like in the originals, so every time you fail it's just game over, reset.

The only way I managed to get through the QTEs in III was to just see what buttons I had to hit and remember them, trial and error. Even knowing the buttons, I could see the QTE timer being half finished by the time I got to the input! The QTE timers in III are badly broken, and need to be patched ASAP imo. They're not very fun, and they honestly sucked a lot of the emotion and tension out of the otherwise awesome sequences.

I've struggled with them... but then that's nothing new :p

But the good thing is that usually the QTE scenes are short and have loading times between the scenes + Check points. The cool thing is that there a lot of great animated scenes for failing too :p

Back