How would you feel if the next game from YSNET is NOT Shenmue IV?

I am still open to the idea of Shenmue spin offs. Here are some ideas.

Imagine: Ryo and friends Kart Racing, where you fight Lan Di in an epic downhill drift battle in the mountains.The mirrors are their special attacks.

Or Dragon and Phoenix Puzzle Challenge. Basic Tetris/ Dr Mario/ Whatever clone.

Tom's Hot Dog business Simulator. You take on the role of an entrepreneur and do your best to boost your sales.

Or a game version of the anime. Shenmue, the Animation, the game. It is a visual novel kind of game, where you press A to progress the story.

I am still open to the idea of Shenmue spin offs. Here are some ideas.

Imagine: Ryo and friends Kart Racing, where you fight Lan Di in an epic downhill drift battle in the mountains.The mirrors are their special attacks.

Or Dragon and Phoenix Puzzle Challenge. Basic Tetris/ Dr Mario/ Whatever clone.

Tom's Hot Dog business Simulator. You take on the role of an entrepreneur and do your best to boost your sales.

Or a game version of the anime. Shenmue, the Animation, the game. It is a visual novel kind of game, where you press A to progress the story.
I really would be down for some Shenmue-themed mini-games sold as full releases to make some extra money for S4’s production. A more fleshed out version of battle rally, a forklift racer, a basic 2.5D fighter with characters from across the three games… stuff like that.

Granted, they probably wouldn’t appeal to anyone outside the fan base, but could definitely raise some funds while also allowing them to work on systems and mechanics that could then be used in a fourth Shenmue game.

I really would be down for some Shenmue-themed mini-games sold as full releases to make some extra money for S4’s production. A more fleshed out version of battle rally, a forklift racer, a basic 2.5D fighter with characters from across the three games… stuff like that.

Granted, they probably wouldn’t appeal to anyone outside the fan base, but could definitely raise some funds while also allowing them to work on systems and mechanics that could then be used in a fourth Shenmue game.
To be completely honest, I started my post as a joke, but then it somehow didn't seem as ridiculous anymore. Huh. Some low budget games to expand on the universe could definitely work to get further support from the fanbase. Like, who didn't wonder what Fuku San did after Ryo left. Or who didn't want to see what Gui Zhang and Master Chan have done in the past. Judging from the Comics, Gui Zhang seems to have saved Joy. Seems like a nice adventure.
They could simply pack that into small games or even, idk, Manga if they like. Could get them extra money for sure. People, especially Shenmue fans, are willing to drop huge amounts of money for anything related to their favourite franchise.

I'll take a Shenmue beat em up 8 or 16 bit. Nozomi or some other girl close to Ryo gets kidnapped as usual and you gotta save her. Typical beat em up storyline. Since it's a little spinoff storyline, you can throw in Ren as the other selectable character. Maybe have a couple unlockable characters like Gui Zhang and Xiuying. Soundtrack could be uptempo remixes of Shenmue music, characters could upgrade their moves like River city girls as well as navigate a similar open world map

I'd take anything new from Suzuki-san, even if it wasn't Shenmue 4!

I agree releasing a string of lower budget non-Shenmue related games would be a sensible strategy for Ysnet as a company...and indirectly a good thing for Shenmue as a series. Having Yu Suzuki on board should be an asset for the company, and should *in theory* make more likely to have an idea that would catch on and become a financial success.

However, I'm not sure I would specially support that or those games with a future Shenmue IV in mind. I would support them if I really liked them, as with any other game. For a project like that to really amass the money needed to sustain itself AND the Shenmue franchise, it should be good enough on its own. And I don't think fan loyalty would make a difference actually.

In the case YSnet announced to follow that route, though, one thing to consider is that YS ideas would possibly be more engineering/creativity/passion oriented than mass market success ones. That has been an almost constant trait from him, that paid off big time some times (like with the real-life moto cabinet of Hang-on or the military-grade 3D chips for the Virtua games). But other tries like the sole-car F355 Challenge project or that Psi-phy game with its touch screens didn't become big successes (as always happens with research and innovation, that is not criticism).

To be honest it's Shenmue IV or bust for me. I will continue to support anything Yu Suzuki makes, but time is finite and I really would like for him to see this series all the way until the end. I'm hoping that the Shenmue Anime does well enough to convince SEGA to fully commit to YS Net and bankroll Shenmue IV.

For me, it's either work on Shenmue IV (and V ;)) , or decide you're done with it and pursue other projects while you still have the chance. I suppose a lot depends on when Yu Suzuki plans on retiring, but if greenlit Shenmue IV and V will probably take about 6 years to release in the best case scenario and Yu will be approaching 70 at that point. Throwing in another 3+ year project into that mix will push him back to be finishing up the series when he's in his 70s, and I'm not sure that's entirely realistic.

I'm also not sure what non-Shenmue project Ys Net could make that would generate significant enough money to fund Shenmue, when the Shenmue series would need a publisher anyways.

I have a feeling Yu is just gonna be working on Shenmue-related content until it's finished. He might be dabbling with other stuff but it should be obvious kinda that Yu's mind will always be on how can he finish Shenmue. I don't for a minute buy the fact he gonna be like, oh we got Shenmue 3. Let me rest for a moment and let the wave pass by a second time. Because who knows if he will get the third wave. Something in me just refuses to believe he is gonna be like let me put down this IP that I NOW own (finally) and not try to get it out.

If he actually put down Shenmue 4 for something else in the interim I'd be very shocked.

Back