How would you feel if the next game from YSNET is NOT Shenmue IV?

I don't think Shenmue needs to be the be-all end-all for Yu Suzuki and YS Net, so in that sense I wouldn't mind at all. But at the same time, a name/studio alone isn't enough to sell me on something.

Honestly I'd probably treat it the way I treat games from any studio. If it interests me then cool, but if not then I'd largely just ignore it.

Great work @mjqjazzbar

I honestly think the immediate future of YSNET lies in something like this, and should be backed if so. Especially if it's a stepping stone to IV. I don't want any investors or backers. Just for YS to have all of the funds himself to do what he wants.

I'd hope it would be good. But I dont really do mobile gaming and I don't put money into those things and arcade games are for killing small amounts of time for me. Now if he was given control of Virtua Fighter again, yeah, I'd be cool with that. Anything else wouldn't get me excited.

I'm game for whatever Yu wants to do, but selfishly, I want Shenmue IV more than anything. That said, I really enjoyed the little mini games in Shenmue III, so who is to say he couldn't kill two birds with one stone by incorporating small games within the context of the main game?

You could also release them as their own thing as a mobile game perhaps?

I'd DEFINITELY play a touch screen version of Excite QTE or Shenmue 3 fishing or pale toss/lucky hit on my iPhone!!

I'd be very intersted in anything Yu does, unless it's on mobile. I don't play mobile games.
Basically my sentiment. Then again I don’t really watch anime but plan on watching it when it releases. I will try and support Suzuki as much as possible but I hope after publishing a mainstream game on UE4 he doesn’t go backwards and have to create a mobile only game.

Last edited:
Whilst I understand the, "I'm not a mobile gamer" comments, it's all to do with various factors, in terms of how we consume games. Myself personally am not a mobile gamer. But I have been in the past. With the odd game here or there. The fact remains that the mobile gaming market is bigger than both the PC and console markets combined. In 2016, the average android/iOS user spent $86 on F2P mobile games, with the market being worth $90 billion in 2021. If the end result of any such game is Shenmue IV, I would be more and more convinced that a slice of that market is the easiest route to getting a full end to the Shenmue franchise via self funding.

Now I live with my girlfriend, circumstances dictate how I game. The long and short of it is I don't. Our home set up is very small, so my console and PC (currently broken) is hooked up to the main TV in the living room, so I can't really switch it on when I want to. I spend more time on my phone on my way to work, on the toilet, on the sofa, in bed..... It all depends on a person's circumstance, and whilst we probably are all more old skool console/PC bedroom gamers, you cannot argue the growth and value of the mobile gaming industry. I honestly believe YS recognised this, and has been trying for years to get into it. Even back with Shenmue Gai before the industry really boomed. Now Shenmue 3 is a millstone taken off his neck, I would feel he would be more excited, and in a better position to really give this option a go.

Some people floated the ideas of another Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, or even paying YSNET a few bills a month to help. Well, why not do that, only putting the money into a game YS created, and whilst having fun at the same time. That's why I would be excited. Not only would I be playing a new YS game, as well as enjoying it, I would be mentally aware that I could also possibly be funding a Shenmue IV in the process.

That's fine, as long as the end product is good. Suzuki shouldn't be shackled by the Shenmue name, nor should YSNET be held back by Yu's.

I always feel for creators when they wanna make something new, but can't seem to escape the bigger name they're attached to. AZ has it with Nas, Ben Affleck had it with Batman, and the Gallaghers will forever be asked about an Oasis reunion.

I'm of the opinion that Shenmue 4's chances of happening are the highest while the iron is still hot... That is to say, right off the heels of Shenmue 3/HD Remasters/Anime release...

If Shenmue 4 is put on the backburner to pursue other projects, interest in the franchise will dwindle again, and worst case scenario Shenmue becomes irrelevant forever... Especially as there is no crazy cliff hanger to keep people hooked to a possible continuation.. And S3 did leave a bad taste in many fans mouthes.

For Suzuki's sake, making mobile games is probably more profitable and stress free... But as a Shenmue fan, I selfishly want Suzuki to focus on Shenmue until it's complete.

Suzuki should get into Crypto gaming. That's gonna be a big trend sooner or later. Someone like him could pioneer it and rake in the money at the same time.

On a separate note, I do find it rather odd that Sega probably won't ask Suzuki back for Virtua Fighter 6. I know they have Aoki now, but let's be honest, nothing can match Yu Suzuki's genius. Then again, perhaps Suzuki would decline them in favor of working on his own projects.

The world is a better place with Suzuki games. I'm pretty sure the industry would be 15 years ahead of where it is now if this man never stopped making games after VF4

SEGA.........

I feel like the most logical thing for Yu to do right now is to develop a new fighting game. He could use the combat engine from Shenmue 3 as a foundation, with the subsequent work then going on to be used when Shenmue 4 finally enters development somewhere further down the line. He’s pretty much guaranteed support from the Shenmue fan base and I dare say the prospect of the man who pioneered 3D fighting games back in the nineties making a brand new fighting game will attract some outside interest as well. If he really is determined to make a fourth Shenmue game and have it appeal to a wider audience, he must know that he’s going to have to put together a much better fighting engine, so why not do so in a way that will generate some additional income / investment for YSNet?

While I like the idea, I don’t think they can pull it off with their limited team. Fighting games really take a lot of man hours to produce, plus usually need some pretty cutting edge technology to please most fighting fans (we can probably thank AM2 for that). It’d have to be pretty different to make it in this day and age as well.

If I could see any of his other ideas come to fruition, it’d be the pirate castle game. The artist that inspired it adds to my desire, plus it sounds like Yu also composed the music himself based on that little snippet. And he says he drew all the character designs. He’s a really good sketcher.

Suzuki should get into Crypto gaming. That's gonna be a big trend sooner or later. Someone like him could pioneer it and rake in the money at the same time.

On a separate note, I do find it rather odd that Sega probably won't ask Suzuki back for Virtua Fighter 6. I know they have Aoki now, but let's be honest, nothing can match Yu Suzuki's genius. Then again, perhaps Suzuki would decline them in favor of working on his own projects.

The world is a better place with Suzuki games. I'm pretty sure the industry would be 15 years ahead of where it is now if this man never stopped making games after VF4

SEGA.........
I dunno. I think crypto is a dirty word (along with NFT's) and I really don't want Suzuki and the two to be mentioned in the same sentence. Unfair as it is, Suzuki's name is slightly tarnished with Kickstarter in certain webspaces and I don't want him to have any more issues.

If I could see any of his other ideas come to fruition, it’d be the pirate castle game. The artist that inspired it adds to my desire, plus it sounds like Yu also composed the music himself based on that little snippet. And he says he drew all the character designs. He’s a really good sketcher.
Yep, right there with you. Did you say there was a logo, or title screen? I havent seen it.

But I am a bit confused because I think the pirate game is different from the artist inspired one? Amir said it was Pure Breed that had that style no?

This is speculation based on him playing Little Nightmares 2 recently... but what would a Yu Suzuki platformer look like?

The details are probably better left to @Amir, but here's the two things that connect:

Yu Suzuki first:

Actually, I'm making what I want right now. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't like and was not interesting for me, and I'm making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not Japan, but a new fantasy world.

Here, I've already drawn characters for the game. I've drawn them myself. There are the protagonists, there is the sea, and there is a mountain and on the very top of it is a castle. It stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch for pirate ships that could attack the city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all the illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw them myself. This game already has a script, even the music.

This is @Amir

The game based on the Alphonse Mucha paintings had some great concept art and I hope he makes it one day. Just hope he changes the logo from the one he showed, did not suit the game at all. He's a genius game designer but when it comes to logos... :p

I think it's all to do with the pirate castle game. I don't think anyone's released anything to the public, but you never know. I'm sometimes shocked by what I can find with a little crafty Googling.

This is speculation based on him playing Little Nightmares 2 recently... but what would a Yu Suzuki platformer look like?
I don't know why, but for some reason I immediately envision a 2D platformer in the vein of Secrets of Mana or something. Or YS. He likes the cute chibi style, so a massive concoction of something like that. Possibly Animal Crossing type vibes with the animals befriending/fairy finding concepts he suggested.

I think he'd make a killer Animal Crossing-styled game. Heck, just mess with Shenmue 3 enough, take the story out, drop us into a nice little village, let us do our thing... I'd play it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's played a bit of AC... I know he was really into Tamadochi Life at one point.

I'd support any new project. Free-to-play on mobile is a tough market, though. All the big F2P games have huge marketing budgets. The odds would be heavily stacked against them in that space, I reckon.

I think they'd have more luck in the indie console/PC space, especially if they could get on GamePass or something. People would be hyped to play a new arcade-style Yu Suzuki game. The market is there for focused arcade experiences with modest production values.

Back