How far did you go for Shenmue?

Wow... these are the kinds of stories I was hoping for. And of course everyone who ever invested time or money in Shenmue did help make it happen again. This is just REALLY exciting!

Bought S1 PAL, the regular Japanes version and the Japanese US Shenmue. Bought S2 PAL, JAP Limited Edition and the PAL Xbox version.

Later, I pledged a ton of money on the Kickstarter/Slacker backer and I also made a few people I know who aren't even Shenmue fans pledge.

I preordered about 10 copies of the S1 and S2 remaster (different platforms & regional versions) and will do a few walk-in purchases as soon as the game is out to give those copies away to friends of mine. Also, I will do the same thing for S3.

Also I travelled to Hongkong and Guangxi Province in Mainland China to visit the real life locations of S2 and I'm still planning to visit Yokosuka one day too. And I went to Gamescom last year, to meet Yu-San, although this was not only because of Shenmue. I've been a fan of his since the early 90s, since I first played Super Hang-On on the Amiga. He signed my Shenmue and my Super Hang-On LP for me which both now have prominent places in our apartments.

Last edited:
Not gonna get into all my purchases with a wall of text lol, but I will say that I've been advocating for people to play Shenmue however they can since 2000. I advertise it via wearing Shenmue clothing in public, design Shenmue merch via redbubble, talking about it all the time with friends and family, praising on social media and message boards, etc...

But most importantly, I've been playing the fuck out of Shenmue since day one. At least once a year, but more like 2 or 3 times a year lately. When they first came out, I played them nonstop for years. I fucking love Shenmue...

I spent such a significant amount of time browsing a message board dedicated to the games that if I had used that time to practice a skill instead I could have easily achieved mastery/virtuosity in said skill by now.

I turned my back on (potential) international acclaim for you Shenmue! I hope you appreciate it!

I spent such a significant amount of time browsing a message board dedicated to the games that if I had used that time to practice a skill instead I could have easily achieved mastery/virtuosity in said skill by now.

I turned my back on (potential) international acclaim for you Shenmue! I hope you appreciate it!
I'm pretty sure your time spent here at least qualifies you to work with emotionally disturbed as well as mentally challenged people.

During high school

1. Got a Japanese Dreamcast on May 1999 as an end of the school year present
-Thought the system would fuck up in the US like the Saturn
2. Got Virtua Fighter 3TB for the Project Berkley disc
3. Studied Japanese in high school
4. Got Shenmue 1 when it came out in Japan in Dec 1999
5. Still got the English version a year later
6. Got Shenmue 2 when it came out on Dec 2001

After high school

1. Bought 3 copies of Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2, and What's Shenmue
2. Gave $300 to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
3. Gave $150 to the A Gamer's Journey Kickstarter
4. Have visited Yokosuka 5 times and plan to go again soon

I have been to China but only Beijing

Remaining list

Study Bajiquan

I picked up Shenmue blind when I was a kid.

I didn't go that far for it, I basically just went on a train after school to the nearest city to spend some birthday money. Went into Gamestation knowing nothing about Shenmue and thought it looked interesting judging from the box(That and multi disc games were a new thing to me). Was glad I picked the game up as the opening sequence blew me away at the time.

Financially not much at all, I've bought the games and some of the (especially since you bought) merchandise. I've pledged somewhere around $560 for III and have purchased the re-release on a few platforms.

It's a drop in the ocean compared to some but considering how much real life stuff I have going on it's relatively high although in light of today's extension I am still considering increasing my pledge a bit to get the next tier.

Back in the day I did my best to switch people on to the game with zero success, undeterred by this I created a small website called Shenmue-Net around 2002 to share my love of the series. For its day it was pretty well designed and had a good amount of content.

0Ck9c.jpg

I've referenced this before on the old forums but most impressive of all (in my opinion) was that I didn't have the internet so was designing the site and all its content at home and uploading it from a public library every day using several floppy disks.

UqQA1.jpg

Walking a few miles every day to update a website using a stack of these seems ridiculous but it was a real labour of love.

r2M7X.jpg

tYWEb.jpg

N2MwR.jpg

cG1hX.jpg

I can't remember the exact number but the site did not get many visitors, I did make some great friends through it (Ash, Juanfran and Tim) and it lead to Hellraiser/Zimming bringing me here.

Financially not much at all, I've bought the games and some of the (especially since you bought) merchandise. I've pledged somewhere around $560 for III and have purchased the re-release on a few platforms.

It's a drop in the ocean compared to some but considering how much real life stuff I have going on it's relatively high although in light of today's extension I am still considering increasing my pledge a bit to get the next tier.

Back in the day I did my best to switch people on to the game with zero success, undeterred by this I created a small website called Shenmue-Net around 2002 to share my love of the series. For its day it was pretty well designed and had a good amount of content.

0Ck9c.jpg

I've referenced this before on the old forums but most impressive of all (in my opinion) was that I didn't have the internet so was designing the site and all its content at home and uploading it from a public library every day using several floppy disks.

UqQA1.jpg

Walking a few miles every day to update a website using a stack of these seems ridiculous but it was a real labour of love.

r2M7X.jpg

tYWEb.jpg

N2MwR.jpg

cG1hX.jpg

I can't remember the exact number but the site did not get many visitors, I did make some great friends through it (Ash, Juanfran and Tim) and it lead to Hellraiser/Zimming bringing me here.

I vaguely remember that site from back in the day. Great work you did there.

@Bambi I remember finding shenmue-net back in the day. Did you have a guide on it how to unlock the duckrace? My memories are pretty vague but I think I found it when looking for shenmue secrets.

vaguely remember that site from back in the day. Great work you did there.
@Bambi I remember finding shenmue-net back in the day. Did you have a guide on it how to unlock the duckrace? My memories are pretty vague but I think I found it when looking for shenmue secrets.
So you were the 2 visitors we received that time. :p

That site didn't have a duck race guide but another one I made much further down the line did so it's possible you're thinking of that.

Nothing too impressive:

School years
  • I made a journal and wrote detective-like rambles, similar to Ryo's musings in his diary. 'GAME sells Shenmue 2 for £30. Must save money!' *Cringe*
  • I started drinking loads of green tea. Would go through packets of the stuff. Now, I taste one drop and I hate it.
  • I enrolled on a Japanese after-school class but was rubbish at it and then one day my teacher got beat up by another student, so I thought 'Screw this!' and went home.
Now
  • Bought every version of the game (except US Shenmue), merchandise and dropped a month's salary into III.

Back