How far did you go for Shenmue?

DaMulder

Yes. It's me. DaMulder from 2003 (it rhymes!)
I wasn't sure if this is off topic or Shenmue related... Someone move it if deemed appropriate.

Anyway: Many of us are the most die-hard of Shenmue fans. Many of us have done, bought or collected the weirdest things in the spirit of Shenmue. What's your story? How far did you go?

Here is what I did:
- I went to Hong Kong and Japan to find the Shenmue I + II locations (Kowloon, Wan Chai, King's Road, Aberdeen, Dobuita). I did not go just for Shenmue but I spent at least 15% of those trips on finding Shenmue locations.
- I bought two original JAP versions while I was in Japan and in order to play it I had to hack my Dreamcast so I could play Shenmue I in Japanese. I didn't understand that much but it was ok - I knew what I had to do. ;) Last year I sold the second one I had. The buyer and I were almost crying...
- I managed to download "What's Shenmue" and got it to work on my Dreamcast.
- I tried to arrange a press meeting with Yu Suzuki while I was in Japan in 2004 but he was busy at the time.

I honestly do not think I am showing off here. I remember awesome things other members did: LanDC hacked the Shenmue files to find maps of unknown locations, Araviel also went to find locations in Honk Kong, AndyB started this whole community and Peter pretty much dedicated a large portion of his life to Shenmue and met Yu Suzuki. So I am just a small wheel in this Shenmue endeavour.

What about you?

In comparison to the things mentioned I’ve essentially done nothing. But I have enjoyed the hell out of games, backed the Kickstarter and I’m also backing the upcoming documentary. I want to say a BIG thank you to everyone who persisted with getting Shenmue 3 over the years. I had gave up any real hope when Shenmue Online fizzled away. So I really appreciate all the hard work everyone put in to get the game going again.

In the literal sense... I drove about an hour.

Back when Shenmue released, I lived in a small town that didn't even have a Walmart, let alone a game store. It was a one hour drive to the closest town that had a game store which is where I preordered both my Dreamcast and Shenmue. I drove to the town after I got off work and didn't get home till about 2 1/2 -3 hours later. I think I was so tired that I waited until the following day to start playing but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

If you want to jump into the Wayback Machine, I pretty much spent all of my teenage years living in Shenmue. Went through great lengths back then to hack the games and discover every scrap of hidden data possible to keep me going, or just entertain myself by creating silly mods like Ryo being haunted by a vending machine. Click here for a dose of nostalgia. These days with emulators and modding programs, people don't realize how difficult it was for me in say 2003 completely on my own with just a hex editor.

I did finally go to Yokosuka, and plan on going to China. A deep fear of flying is one reason I haven't already. Fortunately, I jumped on my first flight to Las Vegas in December of 2014 and realized how silly it was to be afraid of it. Now I love flying. Aside from wanting to visit Vegas, one of my main reasons for going was to attend Playstation Experience and try to bother Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes, who at the time were "building the list." I managed to track down Gio and got what sounded like a very sincere "We're definitely listening." Indeed they were.

Hang out with and had dinner with Yu Suzuki twice. That was pretty rad.

Honestly, I think the craziest things I've done in regards to Shenmue is spending a small fortune on it. Over the years, any licensed Shenmue product that's come out (statues, vinyl soundtrack, Ryo DLC in All-Stars Racing) I have bought an absurd amount of. Then I really outdid myself spending about $13,000 on Shenmue III's Kickstarter, so get ready to see my name and face all over the damn game. And now just recently, I've bought 13 PS4 copies of Shenmue I and II, 2 for PC, and 9 of the limited edition Japanese versions. And I won't be stopping here. I'll probably set a record when Shenmue III is on shelves, because those retail sales are the most important of all.

If you want to jump into the Wayback Machine, I pretty much spent all of my teenage years living in Shenmue. Went through great lengths back then to hack the games and discover every scrap of hidden data possible to keep me going, or just entertain myself by creating silly mods like Ryo being haunted by a vending machine. Click here for a dose of nostalgia. These days with emulators and modding programs, people don't realize how difficult it was for me in say 2003 completely on my own with just a hex editor.

I did finally go to Yokosuka, and plan on going to China. A deep fear of flying is one reason I haven't already. Fortunately, I jumped on my first flight to Las Vegas in December of 2014 and realized how silly it was to be afraid of it. Now I love flying. Aside from wanting to visit Vegas, one of my main reasons for going was to attend Playstation Experience and try to bother Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes, who at the time were "building the list." I managed to track down Gio and got what sounded like a very sincere "We're definitely listening." Indeed they were.

Hang out with and had dinner with Yu Suzuki twice. That was pretty rad.

Honestly, I think the craziest things I've done in regards to Shenmue is spending a small fortune on it. Over the years, any licensed Shenmue product that's come out (statues, vinyl soundtrack, Ryo DLC in All-Stars Racing) I have bought an absurd amount of. Then I really outdid myself spending about $13,000 on Shenmue III's Kickstarter, so get ready to see my name and face all over the damn game. And now just recently, I've bought 13 PS4 copies of Shenmue I and II, 2 for PC, and 9 of the limited edition Japanese versions. And I won't be stopping here. I'll probably set a record when Shenmue III is on shelves, because those retail sales are the most important of all.
You should be awarded a medal for your service to Shenmue.

Nah, that's not necessary. I just can't allow something so revolutionary to be treated the way it was for so very, very long. And I'm a firm believer in backing up your words. For the longest I've preached how profitable Shenmue could be, and how I'd throw my money at anyone who tried to revive it.

You sir, are a hero! (in the Shenmue microcosm definitely!)

I've contributed a considerable amount for me:
Shemue 3 - $250 Collectors Edition, 2 extra copies - $380
Shenmue 1&2 - 3 copies + The recent Japanese Special Edition
Backed the 'A Gamers Journey' Documentary too - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496563/a-gamers-journey-the-definitive-history-of-shenmue
Also bought a couple of the Data Disc Vinyls - https://data-discs.com/products/shenmue

That is a LOT more than I'd pay for a game, but like many I really wanted this to be a big revival fo the franchise and I'm just proud to be among the community :)

Unfortunately, I can't always spent a huge amount of money to my hobbies. So there is probably no way that i will go to Japan, Hong Kong or China. Anyway, there are always crazy things one can do.
Personally I literally gave my Blood for Shenmue ;)
That's right, when the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter began, I wanted to be part of it and wanted to have at least my name within the game. So I searched for ways to upgrade the budget. So i went to the local bloodbank and donated..
Next thing hopefully will be something trophy related, Won't tell right now, just in case i am unable to that. (Although i love games and Shenmue particularly, i am very bad at it ;)

Attachments

• shenmue-blut.jpeg
    shenmue-blut.jpeg
    747.2 KB · Views: 13
I've gone $450 on the kick starter for 3.

Backed then documentary for $150.

Preordered the collectors edition for Japan for the HD games. Also ordered an EU copy to Play.

My old collection has 2 copies of Shenmue 1 pal, 1 of Shenmue 2 pal. Japanese copies of both. White label copy of Shenmue 2 Pal. Xbox Shenmue 2. What's Shenmue and the VHS. Plus other bits. If the Mrs knew how much id spent.....

I wasn't sure if this is off topic or Shenmue related... Someone move it if deemed appropriate.

Anyway: Many of us are the most die-hard of Shenmue fans. Many of us have done, bought or collected the weirdest things in the spirit of Shenmue. What's your story? How far did you go?

Here is what I did:
- I went to Hong Kong and Japan to find the Shenmue I + II locations (Kowloon, Wan Chai, King's Road, Aberdeen, Dobuita). I did not go just for Shenmue but I spent at least 15% of those trips on finding Shenmue locations.
- I bought two original JAP versions while I was in Japan and in order to play it I had to hack my Dreamcast so I could play Shenmue I in Japanese. I didn't understand that much but it was ok - I knew what I had to do. ;) Last year I sold the second one I had. The buyer and I were almost crying...
- I managed to download "What's Shenmue" and got it to work on my Dreamcast.
- I tried to arrange a press meeting with Yu Suzuki while I was in Japan in 2004 but he was busy at the time.

I honestly do not think I am showing off here. I remember awesome things other members did: LanDC hacked the Shenmue files to find maps of unknown locations, Araviel also went to find locations in Honk Kong, AndyB started this whole community and Peter pretty much dedicated a large portion of his life to Shenmue and met Yu Suzuki. So I am just a small wheel in this Shenmue endeavour.

What about you?

Ok well.. not quite as impressive as you with going to Japan but..

1) Purchased Shenmue 1 & 2 @ release for Dreamcast.
2) Imported Shenmue "USA" Edition from Japan for Dreamcast
3) Bought the Virtual Fighter 3 Import that comes with the Shenmue Project Berkley Disc for Dreamcast
4) Bought Shenmue 2X for the original Xbox.
4) I have the original official release Orchestra and In-Game Audio Soundtracks CDs. (not some Chinese eBay knockoff)
5) I have an original press release VHS video for Shenmue's announcement.
6) I have two original What's Shenmue demo discs (not a download)
7) A ChiYouMen black T-shirt design which I believe was a limited run press t-shirt, but not sure on that.
8) Shenmue DATA-DISC Vinyl.
9) Visited Man Mo Temple in Hong Kong.
10) Backed Shenmue Kickstarter @ the $1500 level so my face will be in the harbor, apologies in advance...
11) Just backed the Shenmue documentary too... ($99CAD)
12) and finally.. not directly because of Shenmue (that would be strange).. but coincidentally my Wife is Chinese since we met while I was there on holiday.

I don't have much to boast about, just threw a bunch of money on the Kickstarter if that counts for something. My girlfriend is still pissed at me to this day for doing so.

Ditto, wife almost killed me in my sleep. She'll never understand the whole Shenmue "thing".

My biggest regret so far was not buying the Ryo and Lan-Di First4Figures statues.

Last edited:
@RiGoRmOrTiS Not sure if you want to add more stress to your life, as I got myself the statues and have to sleep with one eye open from the fear I will wake up and see the figures smashed on the floor. We have been living together for years and there was no way she wouldn't know of my Shenmue stuff.
Still, I would have done all again if I had the chance. That's how far I would have gone for Shenmue. Might as well be religion by now.

Besides buying the games and all sorts of merchandise, inculding hunting down that Hitachi cassette recorder I did the following.
Took a place in the community, dedicated a YouTube channel to it, made a blog around it, gave $555 to the Kickstarter.
Oh and of course the one thing that I literally went any sort of far in terms of traveling was going to the gamescom to meet Yu Suzuki and other fellow fans.

I don't think I'll ever be able to do a pilgrimage to any of the games' locations, but it would be awesome to do.

Not sure I went to Hong Kong for high school for Shenmue, but definitely because of it. They didn't have the type of school (United World College) in Japan (though now they do, so to any new generation planters on here; there you go!), so I was happy to find there was one in HK. All scholarship, wouldn't have been able to afford to otherwise. Remember my first day at campus getting all what the hell when there was a Japnese second year in my block named Ryo!

Money being tight since for ever I only did buy the CD and the games in the past, but did make fan art dreaming of being able to buy merch. As an adult with a job I can now order the LP, the games etc. as my younger cousins and good friends and colleagues won't be here (yet!) I can spell out here what they'll be getting for Christmas for their PS4s! Will be about 7 more copies. Lucky sods, getting that first experience not knowing what hit them.

Many people have done so much for Shenmue, it's crazy ! Thanks to all of you, Shenmue is still alive and kicking !

Regarding how far did I go / what I've done (or tried to), here's my story :

- Heard of Shenmue in 1999, played and wanted to learn Japanese and go to Japan.

- Spent a lot of money on collecting Shenmue stuff while saving money for my trip to Japan (still collecting today but rarely find the stuff I want).

- Went to Japan for the first time in 2013, visited Yokosuka, Dobuita Street and the surroundings.

- Contacted Yu Suzuki in 2014, asked him for an interview and it went well, or better than expected I'd say (the first one that I've posted here).

- Felt like I could do more and asked him for a second interview in 2015. This is when I had the chance to share new stuff about Shenmue III. We spent some time together after the interview to talk about other things and from that point, we kept in touch.

- After giving it my all, Shibuya Productions and YsNet probably started to trust me a little and I've been asked to handle the Shenmue III conference at Magic Monaco 2016. I actually never watched it myself (I don't like to look at myself, don't ask me why haha) and it was my first time being on a stage, but from what I've been told, fans were happy. Kenji did a good job too ! I am glad he was on stage with me ! I met some of you and had a great time. Thanks again !

- The next day, I had the most difficult task I ever had to work/focus on : Kickstarter's schedule in Monaco. Request came from Suzuki-san. I didn't want to fail and was so stressed out and lacked confidence because people paid so much to meet with him. We spent the day in Eze and I pretty much had to translate everything. The fact that I am not a native English speaker added some difficulty. To make it simple, I had to translate and switch between Japanese, English and French. Doing this for almost 8 hours clearly wasn't an easy job but thinking about it today, it was awesome and I'd love to do it again.

- Today, I am in charge of Yu Suzuki Official French Twitter Account (on my free time) and just like you, I am sharing the most recent news and everything related to Shenmue.

What I've done for the Shenmue is not that much compared to some and I could probably have done more (and actually tried) but I wasn't the chosen one.

Oh, and just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, I've done all of this on my own, with passion and never been paid. For both trips in Japan and Monaco, I probably spent like 4-5k euros. I am stating this not to "brag" about it, but to point out that I've always been doing this with passion/motivation and never been looking to make money working on Shenmue projects. That being said, I was looking for a job back then and tried to get hired as a Community Manager (and kinda was supposed to), but things didn't turn out how they were supposed to.

I am not sure if I'll ever be able to work on more interviews or if I'll ever meet Suzuki-san again (even tho I'd love to, he is really an awesome human being), but there's one thing I am sure of : I do not regret what I've done, it was fantastic.

Now, I'd like to thank you all. Doesn't really matter what a "single person" has done, what matters most is what we've done all together, as a community. You never gave up and that is exactly why Shenmue is still a reality. We're getting both games in HD in less than 3 weeks and Shenmue III is on the way. Wonderful isn't it ?

Again, from the bottom of my heart, huge thanks to all of you ! You rock ! (y)

Love you all <3

Last edited:
Back