General RGG Discussion

Ah dont worry, i dont feel like a part of the modern RGG fan community at all.
Like all of these same meme gifs with Kiryu punching the table, Kiryu and Majima dancing in Yakuza 0,
the tourist in Y7, Kiryu never killed anyone, baka mitai ... bla bla bla
Its like whenever something about these games pop up, its just some joke meme.
Or all the responses to RGG footage are just joke memes.
Like from a outside perspective of a non fan, i wouldnt be surprised at all,
if these people think that all of the Yakuza games are just about that and nothing else.

And i personally feel like thats totally disrespecting the work of the actual serious story writing in these games.
The fan community representing this series by constantly posting funny stuff and nothing else
just feels wrong if you ask me. And i really hope that this doesnt encourage RGG studio
to take a path where it gets less serious and less serious over time, just to keep the meme community happy.
RGG games are not supposed to be non stop funny meme generators.

While the explanation is somewhat convoluted, I think the gist of it is that they don't want to
scare off/confuse newer fans with the number. Pretty much what most of us suspected and I get it.

Not a huge desire or anything, but at some point I'd like for them to just rename
the whole series and adhere to the original numbering.

I got an answer from the austrian shop regarding the Gaiden disc version.
They said that there wont be a US or EU disc version at all.
The only hope for now is, that the asian disc version is gonna come with multi language support
because then they can easily import those. But they have zero confirmation that theres gonna be a asian disc version,
zero confirmation that these will have multi language support or even english support.

On Play Asia, you can only pre order the japanese PS4 and PS5 disc version.
All of the other region versions are not available for pre order.

So i guess it all comes down to: fingers crossed that the japanese disc version is gonna have the same
multi language support as for example the digital Steam version.
Otherwise we will be out of luck i guess.

While the explanation is somewhat convoluted, I think the gist of it is that they don't want to
scare off/confuse newer fans with the number. Pretty much what most of us suspected and I get it.

Not a huge desire or anything, but at some point I'd like for them to just rename
the whole series and adhere to the original numbering.

To be honest, this tweet doesnt really ... answer or clarify anything.
It just says something without any context. They are even asking new questions with this.

And i'm sure we all get that it makes sense to ditch the numbers for new international fans
who only started with Yakuza Like A Dragon and to make sure that they understand
that Infinite Wealth is gonna be Ichibans sequel game.

But i dont think that the western title is clear at all.
Just watch a couple of Xbox showcase trailer live reactions:
Nobody, like zero people, had a clue if this is the trailer of a main game,
a spin off, something else that isnt Yakuza 8 ...?
So it confused original fans of the old Yakuza series and fans who came on board with Ichiban.

Like whats wrong with Like A Dragon 2: Infinite Wealth or
Yakuza: Like A Dragon 2? Easy.
Now we have Yakuza: Like A Dragon and then the sequel is Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
and then what? Like A Dragon: Yakuza - The Man Who Traveled To Italy.
Thats supposed to be better for newcomer fans?

Last edited:
I think the summit will clarify - at least to an extent - what "infinite wealth" stands for.
Would be weird not to clear anything up at all, since new information is kind of the whole point of doing these events.

As for not even putting a '2' in the western title, they may want people to treat every installment as a valid entry point.
Of course I'm also just spitballing here, who knows..

Thanks for the research, Tosh.

I can also just be a stubborn, pedantic prick and get the JP version, then just use a guide like I did for all the games from 5-7.

Well, the showcase is in 12 hours, so 5 am for me.
So i probably wont be able to watch that live.
Pretty cruel time for EU audience.

ican.png

I'm okay with staying up that long for Tokyo Game Show,
because there are dozens of different games and publishers and a lot of times you really get to see a lot of gameplay.
But just for some Gaiden and Infinite Wealth updates, info ... who knows
if theres even gonna be Infinite Wealth gameplay ... real gameplay showcase is probably gonna be more about Gaiden?
So its probably better to simply watch the showcase VOD later in my case.

I do believe there will be at least a tease for a third game. Smart money would probably be on the next installment of Judgment. However, I wouldn't be shocked if they announced Virtua Fighter 6.

Then of course, there's the pipe dream of Shenmue IV.

Yeaahhh ... i dont know if this is gonna happen in a official RGG showcase.
Like wouldnt it be a bit awkward to announce a new Shenmue game there?
For example i dont think that this board here would be a big fan of RGG Studio randomly
announcing that they are working on Shenmue now and Sega not saying anything about that beforehand.
And now its basically RGG Studios IP but please be excited. That already sounds like a problem.
At the same time, a lot of the "Yakuza is just a better Shenmue" guys would probably react
in a confused or negative way? "Who aked for this?"

I dont know, but that could be a very weird situation especially if Yu Suzuki wont be part of it
or if hes only responsible for the story script but everything else is completely made by the Yakuza devs.
Thats a strange scenario in my head. Like in a scenario where RGG Shenmue is really a thing,
Sega should announce some kind of Shenmue event stream for that
and then explain there that RGG Studio is gonna do it and why.
I think its gonna be a bad outcome if they mix these things together in one pot.

Obviously I'm not treating it as a realistic scenario, hence my referring to it as a pipe dream. It's just a personal wish.
But even on the off chance RGG would be working on it and they announced it here: I really don't care about how people would react to it. People will always bitch and moan regardless.

I think they would have teased it a bit if shenmue was planned. Judgment 3 is what I'm looking forward to since its an beat em up and i dont really like the turn based game even tho i prefer the yakuza games atmosphere.

Do you guys really think theres gonna be a Judgment 3? I mean i would be cool with that
but after Lost Judgment and this whole agency problem thing, i didnt hear anything about a sequel at all.
No interviews, no articles or casting leaks or whatever. Did i miss something?

Last edited:
Soo, ... i watched the showcase now
and while it was fun to have all of the cast there and get a tiny bit of behind the scenes talk
and stuff like that ...
the showcase basically didnt have any news at all. They showed the two fighting styles in Gaiden
with very short ingame clips and then they showed a small Y8 dialogue cutscene with Ichiban and Kiryu.
They didnt even want to talk about the new location or say what country it is.
And that was all. No secret third game. No Y8 gameplay. Gaiden and Y8 trailers
was footage that we already saw before. Nothing really to talk about.

Soo, ... i watched the showcase now
and while it was fun to have all of the cast there and get a tiny bit of behind the scenes talk
and stuff like that ...
the showcase basically didnt have any news at all. They showed the two fighting styles in Gaiden
with very short ingame clips and then they showed a small Y8 dialogue cutscene with Ichiban and Kiryu.
They didnt even want to talk about the new location or say what country it is.
And that was all. No secret third game. No Y8 gameplay. Gaiden and Y8 trailers
was footage that we already saw before. Nothing really to talk about.
yeah it was a complete waste of time i woke up at 5am just to watch it and i really regret:LOL:

Just watched it and at first I was a bit surprised there were no additional games mentioned, but then they announced another summit for this fall (presumably September). In hindsight I think of today's summit as more of a teaser event to whet people's appetite and keep people talking about the upcoming games with more meaty stuff and perhaps some surprises being revealed this fall.

I thought this was fine for what it was. It gave a couple of cutscenes and had some interesting details sprinkled throughout, but had I set the alarm to 5 AM to watch this live I probably would have felt a bit underwhelmed.

I watched 10 minutes on YT before I went to bed and they were ging over the, "agent," fighting style.

Yokoyama's aging.

Back