General RGG Discussion

I was shocked when this popped up during the Xbox showcase. What even is this?
Is it somehow related to Like A Dragon 8 or is it something else entirely?

For the RGG summit I suspected to see 3 games; Gaiden, LAD 8 and an unknown quantity like maybe a Virtua Fighter 6.
Now with this randomly popping up, I'm not sure what to expect.

Edit: As for the language issue, I think there are lots of ways to tackle it and I'm sure they'll find a creative way to solve it. That said, I generally don't care for dubs so it's a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
I think this is Yakuza 8 / Like A Dragon 2 / Ryu Ga Gotoku 8 or whatever you wanna call it.
I dont think they are going to release Gaiden in November
and then a Ichiban spinoff game + Yakuza 8 in the same year.
Three brand new games in probably less than 12 months. That doesnt sound right.
I think Infinite Wealth is Like A Dragon 2 and they are just trying to get rid of the numbers
because these numbers scare off new players.

Wait, is this Xbox-exclusive, or was it just because it was announced at the Xbox show thing?

No, its the same as with Like A Dragon. Microsoft bought the rights to advertise / show off this game
but it comes to Playstation too. So basically Sega and Microsoft simply wont show any Playstation logo in these trailers.
Sadly they still want to release Xbox One and PS4 versions, which means we probably still wont get a big visual upgrade,
just another resolution / frame rate boost.

FyXoPqGWIAcui5I
FyXzfcoXsAE5Cr1

Last edited:
In Japan the game is called Ryu Ga Gotoku 8. A big 8 is part of the logo. No title name.
That means in the west they changed it to a infinite symbol instead of 8
and added the title Infinite Wealth.

I mean ... as the official Ichiban sequel, they could have named it Like A Dragon 2: Infinite Wealth i guess?
This is could be very confusing in the future.

I prefer sticking to numbered entries. I always refer to the previous installment as part 7 too.
In the west they should just rename the whole series to Like A Dragon 0-8 for the sake of consistency and to avoid confusion. Hell, they could use that as an excuse to do a re-release of the whole series as a boxset collection or something.

But I kinda get their perspective as well, seeing number 7 or 8 on a game may scare potential newcomers away, even though you can pretty much jump in at any point in the series.

I dont know how i feel about this yet.
I mean, it sounds interesting because we will get a brand new city and the biggest change of setting ever.
... but its the US. So it wont have the same mood / vibe as anything in Japan.

Waikiki / Honolulu is beautiful, just look around there with Google Maps,
but we will be able to read most of the signs, there will be US street signs,
different kinds of people and so on. Not what we are used to see.

My first thought on the trailer was "oh they are making a full game
based on the popular Yakuza 7 meme joke mission with the english speaking tourist".
And i get it, there are a lot of asian people there in general and there will be japanese Yakuza
but i'm still not sure if i want to see Yakuza characters in a english speaking country.
The essence of Yakuza to me, was that it all takes place in Japan.

But its kind of funny, like ... first RGG Studio did this 1st of April fools Yakuza 7 joke
where it turned out that it wasnt a joke but the actual game.
And then RGG Studio did this interview where they said that maybe the main character
could visit a foreign place or something like that in the future ...
and now we already are in that future.
Another example is all the talks over the years how Ishin in the west could only be released as a remake ...
and then we got the remake.
So basically RGG Studio always gave us hints for all the stuff thats going to happen in the future.

I have many thoughts, ideas and questions about this, but feel it's a bit early to pass any kind of judgment until we've seen the summit where I'm sure a bunch of uncertainties will be clarified.

One of the first things that come to mind when I think about Hawaii is "Okinawa vibes" which as a massive fan of Y3 is very much a good thing for me. I'm with you on being a fan of how firmly planted in Japan this whole franchise is. In fact, I'm one of the people who treat this series as a quasi virtual tourguide through Japan.

That said, we're close to two decades and almost 10 mainlines entries into this series so I completely understand RGG feeling the need to make some drastic changes and bold choices with this one to keep things fresh and exciting. Critics have accused RGG of not being innovative, talk about "Yakuza fatigue" or the formula growing tired. While I personally don't agree with any these notions, I'm extremely curious to see how this will play out.

Edit: Thinking about how this story will play in an English language country, could it be possible that the Japanese speaking characters simply don't get an English voice-over?

Its my opinions only but i don't really care about yakuza anymore the main stream audience killed the franchise its getting worse i miss the old kiryu games back when the game was a brawler and it was somewhat grounded, now its too over the top just for the meme, the game is not even a brawler and now its in usa ? Now that i think about it, I hope shenmue will never be mainstream (sorry for my bad english)

I don't know. At first I thought it was maybe the shores of Okinawa but yeah...Hawaii is an interesting choice. It is certainly the biggest change up this series has ever seen.

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. Could have some massive potential regarding humorous side stories.
I don't know. I'm all for something a bit fresh and different with this series. But we'll see how it plays out.

I mean purists still have Like a Dragon Gaiden to look forward to. That seems like your traditional Yakuza game. BTW, I'm probably looking more forward to that than I am Yakuza 8. I will admit, I'm still more of a Kiryu guy over Ichiban. Even though I like Ichi, Kiryu is still my number one guy.

If it was Kiryu in Hawaii, I might have been a bit more caustic about it. But given it's Ichiban and this series is now going in a different direction, I'm certainly more than willing for it to take chances.

Last edited:
I don't know. At first I thought it was maybe the shores of Okinawa but yeah...Hawaii is an interesting choice. It is certainly the biggest change up this series has ever seen.

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. Could have some massive potential regarding humorous side stories.
I don't know. I'm all for something a bit fresh and different with this series. But we'll see how it plays out.

I mean purists still have Like a Dragon Gaiden to look forward to. That seems like your traditional Yakuza game. BTW, I'm probably looking more forward to that than I am Yakuza 8. I will admit, I'm still more of a Kiryu guy over Ichiban. Even though I like, Kiryu is still my number one guy.

If it was Kiryu in Hawaii, I might have been a bit more caustic about it. But given it's Ichiban and this series is now going in a different direction with Ichiban, I'm certainly more than willing for it to take chances.
like dragon gaiden will play like a standalone dlc it will be simillar to the kaito files apparently

I mean purists still have Like a Dragon Gaiden to look forward to. That seems like your traditional Yakuza game. BTW, I'm probably looking more forward to that than I am Yakuza 8. I will admit, I'm still more of a Kiryu guy over Ichiban. Even though I like Ichi, Kiryu is still my number one guy.

If it was Kiryu in Hawaii, I might have been a bit more caustic about it. But given it's Ichiban and this series is now going in a different direction, I'm certainly more than willing for it to take chances.

Like A Dragon Gaiden will tell the story of what happened to Kiryu after Yakuza 6 leading up to Yakuza 7
and is just a smaller chapter game with a playtime about 30 hours.
And Ichiban and Kiryu will team up in Yakuza 8 / Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth.
So if Yakuza 8 is all about Hawaii (we dont know yet), that means Kiryu will be there.

I can already imagine why they gave Kiryu this new hairstyle.
Hes somehow going to work incognito on Hawaii or trying to start a new life there outside of Japan.
But then the Yakuza on Hawaii find him, so he needs Ichibans help
or Ichiban wants to stop the Yakuza on Hawaii so he needs Kiryus help
but he doesnt want to because of his new life ... its gotta be something like that.

1c7cd539f457c42a6a0d45520aec32391686535929_main.jpg

Last edited:
I too am a bit leery of leaving Nippon especially since Kamurocho is the TRUE main character of the series, but I'm ok with it for now: I just hope they don't take it in a stupid direction.

@Kenzo38130 I agree and disagree on your POV: you are absolutely correct in terms of the fans ruining it (like now on Twitter, when looking for addiitional insight into the games, each and every post by RGG Studios is that goddamn stupid pic of Akiyama with a smirk), but 7 is the best game in the series. People may not be a fan of turn-based RPGs, but the gameplay and battle system are phenomenally good and when you add that to the RGG formula, it makes for an incredible game.

Looking forward to Gaiden and thanks, @Tosh for the updates on physical release or not: just adds more of a reason for me to import the game. I'll keep an eye on things as well.

Just looking forward to more game play! My wife won't be happy :LOL:

I too am a bit leery of leaving Nippon especially since Kamurocho is the TRUE main character of the series, but I'm ok with it for now: I just hope they don't take it in a stupid direction.

@Kenzo38130 I agree and disagree on your POV: you are absolutely correct in terms of the fans ruining it (like now on Twitter, when looking for addiitional insight into the games, each and every post by RGG Studios is that goddamn stupid pic of Akiyama with a smirk), but 7 is the best game in the series. People may not be a fan of turn-based RPGs, but the gameplay and battle system are phenomenally good and when you add that to the RGG formula, it makes for an incredible game.

Looking forward to Gaiden and thanks, @Tosh for the updates on physical release or not: just adds more of a reason for me to import the game. I'll keep an eye on things as well.

Just looking forward to more game play! My wife won't be happy :LOL:
Yeah I can understand your POV yakuza 7 is probably the best game if you don't mind turn based combat but for me yakuza should have remained a beat em up I played it for the first time on my PS2 at the time because it was a beat em up i didn't even know shenmue at that time, that was one of the reasons why I really liked this franchise, for exemple some people like call of duty because it's an fps shooter, they probably wouldn't play it if it became a third person rail shooter. that's why i didn't play 7 and i'm ok with a turn based yakuza, but they should have done a spin off for that. like i said its just my opinion i know lot of people liked it but some old player like me hated it for that reason

@Kenzo38130 While I obviously see things differently, alienating some of the fandom is a calculated risk the studio took when they went with a different gameplay style. Unfortunately it didn't work out for you, but it's hard to deny it worked out for RGG. As for being put off by the fandom, I feel that should never be a determining factor in keeping someone away from a franchise, because:
1) The product stands on its own.
2) All fandoms are awful. And I fully realize the irony of saying that on a Shenmue fan forum.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Happy Birthday, man!

@Kenzo38130 While I obviously see things differently, alienating some of the fandom is a calculated risk the studio took when they went with a different gameplay style. Unfortunately it didn't work out for you, but it's hard to deny it worked out for RGG. As for being put off by the fandom, I feel that should never be a determining factor in keeping someone away from a franchise, because:
1) The product stands on its own.
2) All fandoms are awful. And I fully realize the irony of saying that on a Shenmue fan forum.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Happy Birthday, man!
it worked for 2 good reason they got new fans that like rpg and turn based games (persona and so on) while keeping most of the old fan base and the biggest factor i think is that its was the first yakuza game with global localization, @Truck_1_0_1_ happy birthday

Still no real answers about the physical versions of Gaiden.
No comments by Sega at all. Play Asia didnt comment on the different versions in their store
and wether all of them are confirmed or not.
No comment on the japanese version and if the japanese disc version will have english or multi language support.
You can pre order the disc version in smaller EU online shops (not the big retail ones)
(it says PEGI multi language, but for now there is no Gaiden entry in the PEGI database)
but the disc version does not appear on any EU Amazon page.

The official website has no links to any physical version.
The one big austrian online shop commented three days ago that they will check
if this physical version is still confirmed or if its a mistake ... but no update since then.
In the big spanish online store it says that you cant reserve the disc version at the moment.
I dont know why this is so complicated.

4Shruggg.png

Thank you guys for the warm wishes :)

@You Arcade Clerk, I also agree 100% on that the fandom should not affect how you enjoy a game: the fandom never will diminish my love and enjoyment for any game in the series, but when it comes to discussing and having discourse about it with others, it's not worth anyone's time or effort and that gets me down. As I said a page or two back, I am just resigning myself to the fact that I will just never be a part of a CURRENT/ONGOING community ether online or IRL, simply because there are too few serious people that really have a passion for things like I do, who make up a fandom.

(everyone says I'm too serious IRL anyways lol and I acknowledge that fully, but still...)

Back