General RGG Discussion

I'm a bit conflicted at the moment because there are so many different games and they all seem decent, good or very good.
Hogwarts, Wild Hearts, Wo Long, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Like A Dragon Ishin ...
But i'm a PS5 player, which means like three of those games would already cost me like 240€.
I guess i have to throw a dice to decide which ones i should buy and play first.
I'm just afraid that if i wait for too long, Like A Dragon Gaiden will be available sooner than later
and then i have to catch up a lot of hours

I'm sorry but i have to buy this

Kiryu_Yakuza_CosCup_PL_1_1800x1800.jpg

I mean, the streamers aren't characters that are fully integral to the story. I understand fans love Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku for being Japanese, but this kind of doesn't feel right to some degree.

I didn't end up replying, but one of the former translators of 5 and 0 went on a Twitter thread about how Ishin!'s release is all due to, "you, the Western fans that fought so hard to get it and the rest of the series released!"

It's 100% pure dick-sucking and pandering to the new fans, WHO ACTUALLY AREN'T THE ONES THAT GOT THE SERIES TO COME BACK WEST.

Jesus Christ, it was a group of hardcore fans like myself (and a few on Gamefaqs, like thePatrick, TypeSera, etc.) and those in the community at the time, that got the series to come back west: Hell, Nagosh even said in a livestream on Nicovideo in 2013, that they were surprised at how many people voted in the character election, from outside of Asia.

It is just so tone deaf and is a flat-out lie and the guy doesn't even work for Sega/Atlus anymore, so there isn't even an incentive to jerk off all of these, "fans."

I will never, EVER stop playing the series or being the hardcore fan that I am (still pre-ordering the games, day 1), but I think I'm about done with interacting with anyone on Social Media or otherwise about this series. I guess outside of 'mue (and maybe Limp Bizkit, though I'm not active in that community anymore), I will never belong to something that is a great passion of mine.

Oh well.

I am welcoming to the fact that Ryu ga Gotoku has become more popular than ever worldwide. I like to see where Gaiden and 8 go.

Part of the appeal of Ryu Ga Gotoku is "how Japanese" it is. As I said before, I have NEVER used Twitch in my life (ironic for a lifelong gamer like me) which is why I have little to no knowledge of the "Western celebrities" being used as cards which is why I understand where Truck_1_0_1 is coming from. I do feel like it takes away from the "Japanese aesthetic" of the franchise in more ways than one. Other than Kenny Omega, I have no idea who the remaining cards are, and why I probably won't invest in them. Do I think it will ruin the overall quality of the game and franchise? Personally, I don't. I like how Ryu Ga Gotoku uses actual Japanese actors from the seiyuu, cinema...and AV worlds... and integrates them into the stories.

I hold very dearly to an image of why I became a fan. I will admit, I wasn't sold on it the first time I imported the original Japanese version in late 2005, when it originally came out (I don't think we had any idea that it would be released out of Japan at that time). I played it the first time thinking I was going to get a true successor to Shenmue, and a lot of us all felt that way...and I think for the right reasons at the time. I was very disappointed that you couldn't interact with the NPCs, no internal clock, and no opening drawers. Shenmue was a game that was certainly about the details (and ironically, that's what people don't like about Shenmue), and Yakuza doesn't capture any of that.

I hated the fixed camera angles of the original PS2 game, the shitty angles of the fighting, the load times for the fighting, and so on. After finishing it, I put it in a drawer in my old house. Then a year later, I played the second game... and I give it a second chance. It improves what it needed to improve on to some degree and I could come in with a fresher mind without having to compare it to Shenmue. In the end, I ended up liking it and played just about every installment since (with the exception of Online so far).

I think the franchise certainly has a future. Maybe it will go in new ways that could go good or bad. A certain fraction of people were speculating whether or not 7 becoming a turn based RPG would be a good thing or not, but in the end, it worked out. I am very optimistic of where it will go and hope it will bring in new fans, but I want it to keep its original Japanese appeal.

Good post, Ryo.

On hitting on your last paragraph, I don't think the series will ever stray from its Japanese roots: that should be well and truly good, moving forward.

I'm miffed about how the current, "fandom," just doesn't appreciate that Japanese-ness: Karaoke and the characters disrobing their upper-halves (for example) are things that are intrinsically and distinctly Japanese in the context of the game. But what does the, "fandom," interpret it as? "Oh this is a game about homosexuals that like to sing and have the hots for each other."

It's not the thought itself that bothers me, it's the fact that people are absolute morons that think the point of these elements in the game mean that: you don't appreciate its actual worth and ACTUAL MEANING/SIGNIFICANCE. AND SO MANY OF THE, "FANDOM," THINK THIS WAY AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT IT. Come on, man: I get the plot of 6; that was done with seriousness and (as we've discussed on here for years) has a deep connection with Japanese people: that is something that may be hard to grasp if you aren't Japanese. But the Karaoke? It's literally thrown in the game to be a side distraction for item gathering and completion list. That's it. It has nothing to do with any, "silly Japanese men," or anything like that and the disrobing is a Yakuza thing, showing off your tattoo to show your might and the like: that has existed for decades. It isn't about gay men showing off their bodies to one another because they get turned on.

Appreciate what you're seeing on screen for what it is: educate yourself as to why it is happening, don't devolve into cheap laughs and poking fun because you don't get it.

It's like us with 'mue and how the non fanbase doesn't get the subtle nuances of helping an old lady find a house ("it's boring. WTF would I do that?") or buying gashapons to try and get Dural ("WTF would I waste my time and in-game money on a stupid toy?"). If it's not for you, it's not for you, but at least appreciate where the game is coming from and try to see the meaning/symbolism/whatever behind it.

And why I'm disheartened that the devs are going along with this for a quick buck, is changing the characters around in Ishin! to all of the characters that the, "fandom," likes. ESPECIALLY installing Shibusawa as Takechi Hanpeita. Not only was the original portrayal PERFECT and iconically-memorable in the series, but you put a rando that doesn't even have a deep (or any, for that matter) connection with Kiryu in 0 (aside from sharing Dragon tattoos), as a sworn brother of Ryoma in Ishin!? And you install Kuze and Awano as members of the Shinsengumi, when the original portrayals were perfectly fine and MADE SENSE? And I'm not even going to touch Zhao and Mabuchi being included (especially the latter. Completely random).

As I've always said, change is great if the change involves an evolution and a positive difference. But when it involves devolution and is just thrown in for money or to please people, it's not right.

I've ranted too much about this now, I'm getting tired :LOL:

Hopefully the cards can be disabled; sounds a bit immersion breaking.

Otherwise, let people enjoy the games however they want, simply put. Not worth the energy to fight. Plus, even if the games do go a different direction without Nagoshi, we've still got 0-7 plus Judgment. Plenty of classic Yakuza to enjoy forever.

Same way I coped with accepting Shenmue 3 might not happen back in 2010ish. There's two--now three--amazing, deep games to enjoy for the rest of my life. (Pardon the off topic, but I'm definitely in the camp of story being secondary to the gameplay)

I got to the chapter where the card Trooper card system is introduced, and I disabled it as soon as the tutorial was over.

I don’t usually complain about video game or any other sort of media hobby I collect. When complaints came about during the release of The Last of Us remake and it being sold for $70, a full-priced game, I didn’t mind. Some people complained about it like it was something they HAD to pay for, but didn’t want to pay the high cost, as if it were a necessity like rent or something. I figured that knowing good and well that gaming is a just hobby, you should pick and choose what to spend your money on.

That being said, I think $70 is too much for Ishin Kiwami 😂😂😂

Hopefully the cards can be disabled; sounds a bit immersion breaking.

Otherwise, let people enjoy the games however they want, simply put. Not worth the energy to fight. Plus, even if the games do go a different direction without Nagoshi, we've still got 0-7 plus Judgment. Plenty of classic Yakuza to enjoy forever.

Same way I coped with accepting Shenmue 3 might not happen back in 2010ish. There's two--now three--amazing, deep games to enjoy for the rest of my life. (Pardon the off topic, but I'm definitely in the camp of story being secondary to the gameplay)

Indeed: as I said, I'm getting tired of ranting now lol and I'm at peace knowing that I won't be a part of the fandom anymore. It's fine: I don't need to belong, I just need to continue getting enjoyment of out the products, as I did before.

Good to know the cards can be disabled.
But do the bosses still uses the laser attacks even after you disable the cards?
Not sure. I’ve fought one story boss since the card trooper system thing was introduced, and I honestly forgot about it. I don’t think there was any magical nonsense involved.

I'm miffed about how the current, "fandom," just doesn't appreciate that Japanese-ness: Karaoke and the characters disrobing their upper-halves (for example) are things that are intrinsically and distinctly Japanese in the context of the game. But what does the, "fandom," interpret it as? "Oh this is a game about homosexuals that like to sing and have the hots for each other."

It's not the thought itself that bothers me, it's the fact that people are absolute morons that think the point of these elements in the game mean that: you don't appreciate its actual worth and ACTUAL MEANING/SIGNIFICANCE. AND SO MANY OF THE, "FANDOM," THINK THIS WAY AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT IT. Come on, man: I get the plot of 6; that was done with seriousness and (as we've discussed on here for years) has a deep connection with Japanese people: that is something that may be hard to grasp if you aren't Japanese. But the Karaoke? It's literally thrown in the game to be a side distraction for item gathering and completion list. That's it. It has nothing to do with any, "silly Japanese men," or anything like that and the disrobing is a Yakuza thing, showing off your tattoo to show your might and the like: that has existed for decades. It isn't about gay men showing off their bodies to one another because they get turned on.
I would say that's more of a current casual gamer (or a "reviewer" like Adam Sessler) than a "current fan" who would have that kind of mentality. Most new fans I tend to interact with really appreciate the Japanese aesthetic of the franchise.

Just recently i rewatched a full playthrought of Yakuza 6
(well, i skipped the gameplay stuff and only watched the story bits)
because it was the second Yakuza game that i played personally (right after Y0)
(i watched full playthroughs of Y4 & 5 years before Y0 came out in the west) and i didnt really remember
all of it because there were so many other RGG Studio games that came out after Yakuza 0 and 6.
And sometimes i feel like Y6 kind of fell short for me as a experience because there was just so much going on
with the series at that time that i couldnt fully appreciate Y6 as the final Kiryu storyline game.

And i have to say, i think this could be my favourite Kiryu game. I mean, of course it only works so well,
because he got so many other story games before 6 came out. But its such a ... lovely, charming, intimate story.
I like that its just a Kiryu game (full focus on his finale and nothing else),
i like that they didnt try to make it bigger than Yakuza 5, i like this whole theme about different kinds of families,
i like that Kiryus age is a actual part of the story,
i LOVE this whole small town setting and that you really get to know all of the characters there over time,
i like Kiryus design (the rolled up sleeves look without the jacket is awesome) and he looks great in the new engine,
its awesome to have scenes where Kiryu is interacting with Takeshi Kitano,
the ending is well made, the story of the game isnt really cheesy in terms of "clearly too much",
i think it has a good balance, i never thought "oh come on, this is dumb!",
i think pretty much all of the surprises work very well ...
and yeah, i really really enjoyed my time with this Y6 Kiryu. I dont know what it is,
but i really like these dynamics of Kiryu having enough of all this huge clan and political bs
and he simply wants to know what happened to Haruka. It works really well.

The game is only being held back by the slightly unpolished experience that you get
because of the Dragon Engine upgrade.
But i like it. I like it a lot. Awesome Kiryu game.

Last edited:
Y6 is one of my favourite chapters because of many similarities with Shenmue (fully voiced game, Hiroshima that has the same vibes of Shenmue, general mood, more consistent experience overall etc.).

It was the absolute PERFECT sendoff for the character (in hindsight, he hasn't been sent off lol) and it still troubles me dearly to see Haruto light up when he sees Kiryu, then be sad once Kiryu walks off.

As a father to a young boy, this hits me even harder (can't stand seeing that sadness on my son's face) and this was an absolutely PERFECT bit of writing and storyboarding: Kiryu had to walk out of Haruka's life to protect her (she's sad), he had to walk out of Daigo's life to not be a distraction to the Tojo Clan (he's sad) and he had to walk out of Haruto's life so that Haruto would not have any Yakuza influence on his upbringing (he's sad). The triumvirate/trinity/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is just fantastic and shows intelligent writing.

From a writing, framing and storyboard standpoint, it truly is the best plot after 3: there isn't a bunch of crazy shit that makes no narrative sense (0), there aren't things shoehorned in that don't work (2) and there aren't any loose ends that cause the plot to get pulled in 50 directions with no resolution to half of them (4). It's a cohesive plot where everything that is mentioned has a resolution, it's packed tightly, the dialogue is brilliant and the plot devices are probably even better than 3 (the Secret of Onomichi is just so brilliant, if I haven't stressed that enough over the past 5+ years lol).

It's still my 4th favourite in the series and I don't think it'll move from there for a long time, if ever.

6 is certainly unique in that it has a less is more kind of approach. The engine does improve in later installments such as Kiwami 2, and most notably in Judgment. I wonder how Gaiden will follow it up. I wasn't surprised he got a supporting role in 7 to some degree considering the stakes, and I felt it made sense to give him some kind of role. But with the way that game went and how Kiryu goes into hiding, it does make you curious about how his story progresses.

I hope that 8 will find ways to re-include Majima and Saejima again, or make a spin-off starring them.

Have been playing Ishin since it came out and am absolutely loving it.

Finished the story roughly a week ago and am currently in the process of completing a lot of the side activities.
It did take me some time to really get into it, but the more I played, the more I realized that this is very much a "Yakuza" game, simply set in the 1800s.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable about (Japanese) history I found the story a bit harder to follow compared to previous entries, but was able to deduce most of what was going on from story context/conversations.

It was also a bit difficult to keep track of 'who's who' due to all the familar characters now having different names, not to mention some of them having multiple identities. It helped having the in-game character notes and relation chart to keep track of things.

I'm sure there are things that flew over my head, but after all is said and done I can still read up on the covered topics and perhaps gain some additional hindsight appreciation for what I (may) have missed.

Those personal difficulties aside it was great to see so many familar faces return, sometimes in similar and sometimes in very different roles.

Made the very conscious choice to stay away from this thread for a while to A: avoid spoilers and B: avoid some of the negativity that tends to creep into the conversation. Not that I question the legitimacy of some of the criticisms I've read, it's just that:

- I haven't played the PS3 game.
- I ignore 99% of social media discourse (and would strongly advise anyone to do the same).
- I did not feel pandered to "as a Westerner" at any point during the game.
- I did not find the addition of the streamer trooper cards intrusive at all. It's fully optional, it's free and I believe it was only mentioned once in-game, during a non-story related portion of the game at that. While I still would have preferred not to have them in there at all, I very much prefer this over the kickstarter stretch-goals from Shenmue III where we ended up fighting some randomly placed Western backer-cosplayers in 1980's rural China during the climax of that game's story. Talk about an intrusive distraction.

If we're talking actual personal critique of the game, I'd say some of the scene transitions were a bit sloppy where you could clearly see assets loading or building up in the background. A black overlay with a smooth fade transition would have looked better there, but at this point I think it may already have been (mostly) patched out.

As for the supernatural attacks and use of OP trooper cards; I only spotted a handful of story-related bosses making use of energy attacks and only used them a few times myself when in a bind. Since finishing the story I started using them a lot more, though. I don't really have a big issue with any of them.

I may still play the PS3 version of Ishin at some point for the sake of completion and to 'spot the differences', but I did watch Digital Foundry's technical review of the game and - some minor issues aside - this upgrade very much seems like the superior version of the game, at least on a technical level.

Back