General RGG Discussion

I bought the PS4 Japanese Ishin remaster here in Japan last year and sold it as soon I completed it, and I can't see myself getting it again unless they beef up those fighting styles. Each of them felt underdeveloped (think of a worse version of Yakuza 0 weapon wielding) and far too repetitive, even though they looked great. Oh man and that sword and gun combo - a great idea in theory, only.
I don't remember Ishin ever having a remaster prior to Kiwami.

I don't remember Ishin ever having a remaster prior to Kiwami.
Apologies, I had assumed it was just another ps3 to ps4 re-release, didn't realize it got a simultaneous ps3 and ps4 release (according to wikipedia). Awful mix of assumption and typo.🤮🤮

Last edited:
I think I had both versions too (definitely know I have the PS4 one). It really was gorgeous.

I’ve been watching a video for a Yakuza Kiwami mod with the PS2 dub. It’s terrible 😂. Everything from the dub to Kiwami’s use of the PS2’s cutscene animation.

Theres a new short Ishin Remake interview video on the Sega of America Youtube Channel
and quite a lot of the user comments (with the most thumbs up) are begging Sega / RGG Studio
to deactivate the cards and superpowers in story mode.

I really hope they can give us some options to deactivate that stuff or some classic game mode.
This whole superpower thing is such a improvement for the worse. I dont think its cool at all.
Put it in a NG+ mode or something ...

I think I had both versions too (definitely know I have the PS4 one). It really was gorgeous.

I’ve been watching a video for a Yakuza Kiwami mod with the PS2 dub. It’s terrible 😂. Everything from the dub to Kiwami’s use of the PS2’s cutscene animation.
Kinda stupid considering the new scenes showing Nishiki's fall into darkness.

That dub is wonderful (NEVER said good! lol, though it isn't bad like everyone says it is), loved hearing a bunch of big names voice everyone.

And Eliza Dushku as Yumi is arguably the best VG voice casting ever.

For Gaiden, I would like to see it take place in a new city. Kiryu is too recognizable now that he has been televised and is well-known in Kamurocho and quite possibly in Sotenboori. I think Yokohama could work again for the right reasons, but I'd like to see modern-day Kyoto, Kobe, or maybe Nagasaki. Hell, maybe he'll be operating overseas, heh.

From the trailer/teaser, it is definitely in Japan.

But you bring up a good point: perhaps this is the jumping-off point to go to a new location and they will reuse it for 8.

I don't think they'd go back to Kyushu, as Kiryu already did his stint in Fukuoka in 5. Given that (as per 7), he was, "always closeby," makes me think that it will be Kyoto or Okayama or something like that (of course, this is all speculation and they absolutely could do it at a past location).

But Kamurocho will continue to be in the main game; will it be in Gaiden? Not sure.

Slightly off-topic of location, I just hope they don't shoehorn Haruka back into things, 'cause that would borderline retcon half of 6.

I'm going to assume that Daidoji's successor will be keeping an eye on Haruka, or sending money to the orphanage. I won't be surprised if he'll show Kiryu pictures or videos.

THAT side of things (Kiryu being updated on the kids' status), I can live with and it makes sense.

But I meant making her become part of the plot and Kiryu revealing himself alive to her, etc.

I have always, ALWAYS felt that in a future game (I'm talking 10 years down the road), Haruto will be a part of a substory or something.

Considering how Kiryu explains in his situation in Like a Dragon, I doubt Haruka is aware he is alive during that part of the story… But if that becomes a point in Like a Dragon 8, I hope it works and for good reason. But, by the time 8 comes out, if it does take place in 2024, Haruto will be 9, the same age Haruka was in the first game. But I wonder if the remnants of the Saio Triad will play a part.

But, for 8 (and Gaiden), what I’m hoping more for is.

-How the Fixer operate?
-Did Kiryu have to agree to work for him?
-Does Kiryu use the Fixer donate to the orphanage?
-Will they have a role to play in 8?
-Will we learn about the legacy of Han Joon Hi in 8?
-Will we learn more about what happened to Kume?
-Will Daigo‘s new company in Osaka also play a role? (Considering that Osaka will be a setting again)
-Will we get a new city to explore?
-Will we get new characters?
-Will we get new jobs?
-Will we get new mini games?
-Will we get new arcade games?
-How will the RPG aspects improve for 8?
-Will we get more team up moves akin to the Suikoden games? (Which would really work with Yakuza’s RPG sytem)
-How will the brawler aspects improve for Gaiden?

PS. Even though I don’t mention Ishin (and already played the original), by no means am I not excited about that. Just have more questions for Gaiden and 8. There is so much to be excited for. Hell, I’d like to see “Kiwami” versions of Kurohyo and see how modern consoles tackle its unique combat systems.

The cabaret mini-game will be returning in Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name!
Theres a audition in Japan for models / actors etc who want to appear in the mini game
(We are looking for people to play the role of the cabaret club lady who appears in the game in "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name", deadline is Dec 23)

I'm irrationaly very excited for the return of the cabaret mini game. Lowkey, the running story line from Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 2 Kiwami had me more invested than some of the primary stories of the mainline Yakuza games lol. I need to find out what's going on with Yuki and company. Hell I hope Saeko will be involved too with the party system now. And there is no excuse, Joon Gi Han has to be a host you can use as well and his stats need to be high for customer engagement.

Back