A Shenmue Story - New Shenmue Journey from George Kitchen!

A guide for them would be awesome. I want them all before I end the game *cries*
I have 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 26, 27, 28 and 30

Last edited:
I've played Dreams of Saturn today after finishing Shenmue I yesterday and it was a great little companion title to spend some extra time in Yokosuka. I haven't read through this thread yet, because I wanted to share my own fresh thoughts without subconsciously rehashing what others might have already mentioned, though I'm sure there'll be some overlap.

Long story short I'm very impressed with this project both technically and creatively. While in some areas the game (currently) is a little glitchy this feels in a lot of ways like a tech-demo / proof-of-concept dressed up as a fun Christmas themed fan game. I wouldn't be surprised if this will in some way, shape or form serve as the basis for more seriously themed projects in the future.

Great work!

Edit: I've played v1.1 and it took me the better part of the day to finish.
I try to look at comments constructively, but I have to admit, this comment gets under my skin.

I find your statements to be dismissive, unnecessary, and nearly the opposite of the truth. A tech demo? Proof-of-concept? The implication of this not being a serious project? Do you realize the insult you just made?

Do tech demo's have 30 minutes of fully animated cutscene's, a 15 minute finale with 14 qte's, all painfully crafted and animated, original music, 16 new interiors, a full landscape created from scratch, 16+ mini games, 300 little details that people will never notice, such as Fuku-San and Ine-San entering their rooms differently, depending on if you left their door open or not, or the Saturn titles sitting below the tv and switch back and forth from below to on top of the tv, as you change games?

A tech demo is shallow in it's offerings. It implies an empty space with little to do.

I didn't spend all these hours pouring my heart into my game just to have it called a tech demo..

I accept all forms of critiques or criticisms, and take them to heart, but when I see dismissive statements like this, I can't respond respectfully.

I was gonna say, the man did this in his spare time because he loves Shenmue. I can tell he poured his soul into it full of love and detail, I couldn't be happier. Yea there's bugs and glitches, but you gotta expect that.

I couldn't tell you while playing this, discovering things and moments. How much I laughed, felt joy, and just warmed my heart up.

George, you made many people happy with this, including me. Honestly, it was the best way to spend my New Years Eve.

And with all the Sega references and what not, I was smiling ear to ear!:alien:

I try to look at comments constructively, but I have to admit, this comment gets under my skin.

I find your statements to be dismissive, unnecessary, and nearly the opposite of the truth. A tech demo? Proof-of-concept? The implication of this not being a serious project? Do you realize the insult you just made?

Do tech demo's have 30 minutes of fully animated cutscene's, a 15 minute finale with 14 qte's, all painfully crafted and animated, original music, 16 new interiors, a full landscape created from scratch, 16+ mini games, 300 little details that people will never notice, such as Fuku-San and Ine-San entering their rooms differently, depending on if you left their door open or not, or the Saturn titles sitting below the tv and switch back and forth from below to on top of the tv, as you change games?

A tech demo is shallow in it's offerings. It implies an empty space with little to do.

I didn't spend all these hours pouring my heart into my game just to have it called a tech demo..

I accept all forms of critiques or criticisms, and take them to heart, but when I see dismissive statements like this, I can't respond respectfully.
Hi,

In no way did I intend my briefly summed up thoughts to be anything short of high praise and for it to trigger such a hostile response is something I find absolutely baffling.

It's not a critique or meant to be dismissive in any sense of the word and for it to be taken as such - especially within the context of my other comments - shows a complete disregard for my post as a whole and, frankly, implies a lack of reading comprehension.

If you're so sensitive to be triggered by some keywords that you feel are "insulting" your efforts - even though nothing of what I said even remotely hints at negativity - you don't seem ready for some of the actual critique I've come across on the web.

You're kind of ruining your own party here with your reaction which IMO is the only thing here that's "dismissive, unnecessary and the opposite of the truth".

I'm not at all interested in turning this into a back-and-forth discussion, so for the sake of this thread and against better judgment I'm going to assume you've read my comment at a bad moment and wish you a good day.

Last edited:
If you're so sensitive to be triggered by some keywords that you feel are "insulting" your efforts - even though nothing of what I said even remotely hints at negativity - you don't seem ready for some of the actual critique I've come across on the web.
Actual critique is something many people have provided, including in the bug thread, at my request.
You'll find plenty of sincere comments from me thanking people for their insights.

Your words are the only ones I've responded to negatively. The provocateur's angle is to always accuse the responder of being over sensitive, and it's your way of not considering that you may be wrong.

I can admit that I'm being sensitive, but please try to understand why I would be so.
For the sake of wanting you to understand my points instead of invoking a defensive response, I will apologize for the aggressive accusation, though I was not hostile. Internet words often lack context.

I can see the positive words you said and I thank you for that.
I agree that a back and forth is unproductive.

Thank you so much for this!!! I really appreciate it. I'm missing 1 tape too so if you made a list for that, I can try to find these and feel complete with the collectibles. (I am not getting all the achievements tho lol happy I found all the secret areas)
Is it possible to send me a picture of the ones you have? Privately though, to avoid spoilers.

Thanks, Nessu!

Actual critique is something many people have provided, including in the bug thread, at my request.
You'll find plenty of sincere comments from me thanking people for their insights.

Your words are the only ones I've responded to negatively. The provocateur's angle is to always accuse the responder of being over sensitive, and it's your way of not considering that you may be wrong.

I can admit that I'm being sensitive, but please try to understand why I would be so.
For the sake of wanting you to understand my points instead of invoking a defensive response, I will apologize for the aggressive accusation, though I was not hostile. Internet words often lack context.

I can see the positive words you said and I thank you for that.
I agree that a back and forth is unproductive.
Fair enough. Of course I'm willing to elaborate when approached in good faith.

When I said in a lot of ways the project feels like a tech-demo or proof-of-concept I was talking about its impressiveness on a technical level. By your own admission, you're not a full time developer and yet you've been able to accurately fork over the world of Shenmue - at least of the original game - to a modern mainstream engine in a few months time. That is very impressive and something I'd expect from either a full-time developer and/or a team of people.

A tech-demo is essentially an expert developer saying "Look at what I somehow made possible". It's not a bad expression, unless your interpretation is that I implied your project that took hundreds of hours to create is the equivalent of someone making a swirly font appear on the Game Boy Color (lol), which is clearly not the case and really reaching if you read my whole post.

When I refer to your creation being used as a base for "more seriously themed projects" I mean just that. I was thinking about a larger team collaborating (perhaps even with you) to create a true remaster of Shenmue I and/or II, or someone remaking Shenmue III in the style of the original two games. I'm just spitballing ideas here, but those are what come to mind when I say more seriously themed. Thematically, while Dreams of Saturn is right up my alley, by design it focuses on humor and ridiculousness. It's not telling a serious story. That's not a critique, just a statement of fact. I'm not saying your project or efforts aren't serious or incompetent.

Obviously what drove you is your deep passion for Shenmue and, perhaps, having worked on projects before that unfortunately never saw the light of day.

You're right in that the written word by itself does not necessarily always carry intent, sarcasm etc., but from the context of my post it was obvious that no vitriol was included, nor that a lengthy explanation was needed to get the point across. Or so I thought.

Alas, here we are.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Of course I'm willing to elaborate when approached in good faith.

When I said in a lot of ways the project feels like a tech-demo or proof-of-concept I was talking about its impressiveness on a technical level. By your own admission, you're not a full time developer and yet you've been able to accurately fork over the world of Shenmue - at least of the original game - to a modern mainstream engine in a few months time. That is very impressive and something I'd expect from either a full-time developer and/or a team of people.

A tech-demo is essentially an expert developer saying "Look at what I somehow made possible". It's not a bad expression, unless your interpretation is that I implied your project that took hundreds of hours to create is the equivalent of someone making a swirly font appear on the Game Boy Color (lol), which is clearly not the case and really reaching if you read my whole post.

When I refer to your creation being used as a base for "more seriously themed projects" I mean just that. I was thinking about a larger team collaborating (perhaps even with you) to create a true remaster of Shenmue I and/or II, or someone remaking Shenmue III in the style of the original two games. I'm just spitballing ideas here, but those are what come to mind when I say more seriously themed. Thematically, while Dreams of Saturn is right up my alley, by design it focuses on humor and ridiculousness. It's not telling a serious story. That's not a critique, just a statement of fact. I'm not saying your project or efforts aren't serious or incompetent.

Obviously what drove you is your deep passion for Shenmue and, perhaps, having worked on projects before that unfortunately never saw the light of day.

You're right in that the written word by itself does not necessarily always carry intent, sarcasm etc., but from the context of my post it was obvious that no vitriol was included, nor that a lengthy explanation was needed to get the point across. Or so I thought.

Alas, here we are.
Tech demos are always an implication of incomplete/unfinished, hence the word "demo".
You'd think a Yu Arcade employee would understand this. (Purposely facetious banter)

I apologized for my reaction and you could have taken the high road and apologized in return and left it at that. Instead you double down that your tone was "obvious", when it wasn't. I asked you to consider my reaction, and you can disagree with my view of it, but to imply it being obvious is a declaration of war. I will gather my half of the dojo and you gather yours and we will meet in back of Warehouse #14. Please bring lunch, as we haven't eaten today. I claim Shen-Sun first, as I've heard he is a martial arts master. You can have Matt Oliver and James Brown. They are useless in fights.

Also, your example of the Gameboy swirly font is something I'm incapable of doing, so I would personally take it as a compliment if you compared my work to that creation.

As for the story. There is silliness in the story, but there are also plenty of serious moments. To make a completely serious story is risky, as it disrespects the authority of Yu-San, where it's his story to tell. This isn't an argument, just a clarification. I frankly feared upsetting Yu-San.

If you could please send an image of your face, I'd like to put it on an NPC that I plan to have fall from the top of the harbor crane. Thank you.

I alone will be enough.

Mr-Satan-at-the-Cell-Games.webp

Come at me, bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
playing this today made me login to this page for the first time since shenmue 3 came out. It is fantastic! very nostalgic feelings of playing shenmue back over 20 years ago.

Tech demos are always an implication of incomplete/unfinished, hence the word "demo".
You'd think a Yu Arcade employee would understand this. (Purposely facetious banter)

I apologized for my reaction and you could have taken the high road and apologized in return and left it at that. Instead you double down that your tone was "obvious", when it wasn't. I asked you to consider my reaction, and you can disagree with my view of it, but to imply it being obvious is a declaration of war. I will gather my half of the dojo and you gather yours and we will meet in back of Warehouse #14. Please bring lunch, as we haven't eaten today. I claim Shen-Sun first, as I've heard he is a martial arts master. You can have Matt Oliver and James Brown. They are useless in fights.

Also, your example of the Gameboy swirly font is something I'm incapable of doing, so I would personally take it as a compliment if you compared my work to that creation.

As for the story. There is silliness in the story, but there are also plenty of serious moments. To make a completely serious story is risky, as it disrespects the authority of Yu-San, where it's his story to tell. This isn't an argument, just a clarification. I frankly feared upsetting Yu-San.

If you could please send an image of your face, I'd like to put it on an NPC that I plan to have fall from the top of the harbor crane. Thank you.

Got your back brother. You arcade, james and matt don't stand a chance.

Bring it on boys

Version 1.8 is now live.

Improved Pool and other fixes are now in!

>> DOWNLOAD (3GB) <<
Version 1.8 (01/01/24)

Awesome game!!

Does anyone know if the all of the secret areas were originally built into Shenmue 1 or were they added by the game creator for this game?

Last edited:
Awesome game!!

Does anyone know if the all of the secret areas were originally built into Shenmue 1 or were they added by the game creator for this game?
Added for the game.

Back