Random Thoughts

• Zizek wants to move away from a teleological sense of Marxism, and instead emphasize the non-teleological/non determined sense of Marxism.
  • As such, he's trying to understand both consciousness and material being with reference to both Lacan-- no doubt this influences his distance from Peterson-- and earlier idealists such as Schelling.
  • I appreciate Zizek trying to engage Marxism in a different paradigm from that of the 1960s onward
  • I certainly don't side with capitalism, but this sounds like what I thought it'd be: two intellectuals talking past each other through their own lenses. Reminds me of the Foucault-Chomsky debate. (Dammit, maybe I'll have to watch it after all).
  • That's what I call the cultural criticism of capitalism (object fetishism, labor alienation, etc.), but those are hardwired in the sense of human as a emotional being (which is half right). Sadly those are not capitalists faults, those are human faults to what Jung would call individuation, and relying on those material characteristics as a means for that (at least on the facade). There's not
  • He's still under the 20s leftists as Marcuse, and sadly the "soviet new man" is a worse example of the übermensch, again a teleology of "mankind", and what we can see on new wave feminism since Beauvoir to Butler. At least the übermensch talked about individual morality (under heavy ataraxia thinking coming from nietzsche though). This relates to the next point.
  • Kinda makes water when he says he likes the alienated to say "I want the centrality of power" to then admit that the worst part of capitalism is that it works even better under tyranical dictatorships in the communist sense (the tyranny of the goodooer state). I do think that still Peterson's idea is the way to start to individual morality not be subjugated to the mass morality (that both admitted to be the case).
  • If you know about Pinker's "capitalism is fucking awesome to make the poor richer", you can skip Peter's part. Zizek part was a diss to political correctness, capitalism works better under dictarship like China, and his usual spiel. The breaking point was when Zizek asked "where are the communists you talk about" and Peterson said that 25% of educators call themselves communists (and Zizek handwave that as "Bernie sanders is being killed by PC politics", in a sort of no true scotman), then he called himself a Helegelian. After that the discussion is pretty OK (but not really relevant to anything).

And kinda sad, because to be honest, if Zizek was going to handwave his marxist doctrine and just focus on the capitalist (non economic critique, that is supposedly scientific materialism), and that Zizek "global effort is against capitalism" is totalitarian and Peterson's approach of "better urgent than important" they should talk about what Zizek and Peterson actually agree about and is the metanarrative of eurocentrism, and that never happened.
And it's certainly the most important topic to discuss, because let's say that many people would eat them with forks just by pointing out statistics, specially since both are so "non PC".

It kinda feels sad that the actual outsiders have such a wider grasp of social problems (though local "answers").

Contemplating whether or not voting in a plutocracy is worth it. If I do, I may vote for Andrew Yang during this transitory stage in humanity. Freedom dividends and blockchain democracies may have potential to speed up progress...

How women cope with such impractical items of clothing and accessories. I have a card wallet with my 2 bank accounts, Tesco Club Card, work pass, driver licence and room for a little cash. My wife has a massive purse which cost like £70 and hordes her entire life in there. She has business cards of mine from almost 10 years ago (even though the purse is way newer than that!), expired bank cards, loyalty cards she does not use and a bunch of other nonsense. It's so annoying when I have to go into her purse to get her card as I have to check the expiry dates to make sure I have the right one. That is not even me ranting about taking the cards out in the first place.

And then you also have the bags. When I go to work, I carry my rucksack which has my laptop and notepad. Since I have to carry the bag anyway, I also carry a couple toiletries and a phone charger. My wife carries to work two bags (and she doesn't even carry a work laptop); one for her giant purse and other random junk, and the other for her lunch. Yes, she has a bag specifically for lunch even though the contents could easily fit in her main bag.

And even if she was going to get rid of all her junk and just carry what she actually uses, she'll still have the problem of her clothes not being practical at all. Women have no pockets. I remember going to grab some lunch with some work colleagues. All the guys get their sandwiches, hold it in their hands or put it in their pockets. The women have to ask for bags (destroying the environment) because their hands are already full with their handbags and the coats or trousers they are wearing have no pockets.

@Nathanial Essex oh enough with the "women this and that", you sound like a bad Seinfield intro haha. ?

Maybe your missus is just a bit disorganized, I dunno. I'm like you, rug sack to work, stuff pockets whenever. Have a couple of small bags for when going out and needing to bring more than wallet and phone. It IS usually messy but clean it out every so often. No 10 year old business cards, but the occasional crumbled piece of gum. I must say one thing, women's clothing often not having pockets (or if they do they're for show or too small or things fall out because of the angle) is really fucking annoying. Finding something so rare like a nice dress or skirt with actual useable pockets... Why can't we have pockets too? It's probably the bag/purse conspiracy ?

I like Ride-Movie. These movies are very famous. You think you take a ride on a virtual rollercoaster but it's fake. I don't like Rollercoasters in real life, but i like the movies from nWave Pictures and another companies.

So my mam’s started re-watching Star Trek in chronological order. She’s got past the one with the fit lady Spock and the NCIS: New Orleans guy and is onto the new one.

I’m passing through the living room and it looks like Mass Effect. I make a brew, come back from the kitchen, and all of a sudden it’s like Dark Souls has nutted Skyrim Frank Gallagher-style. What the fuck is this thing all about?

Completely forgot I have tickets to the midnight screening of Infinity War part 2 tonight. I really should leave work!

Just came back from watching Endgame. It was fantastic. I loved every minute of it.

How comes Hitchens was so good predicting the problems we were going to have (and are having) almost 20 years before ?

Is there a guy today that has such a pinpoint view of the problems like him did ?

And sorry, but man, sometimes you can't say the coffee is cold because the table is cold.
And let's let's not forget that your light wasn't bright behind. that behind.

Am I the only one that... kinda likes it?

I mean as a Sonic movie it's going to be terrible, but if you treat it as a generic superhero movie it actually looks kinda good.

#PrayingForSonicRetro

As someone who had no expectations, I think the film seems innocuous enough. It's not French New Wave, but I'd guess it knows what it's going for: being enjoyable for the young, tolerable for those with a nostalgia for Sonic, fine for those unfamiliar with the character. So too, If they're trying to mimic the Marvel style, Carrey seems to fit the Robotnik role decently (small backstory developed into further maniacal schemes).
To your point, Duck, I'd guess it'll do fine (perhaps not well) financially for the generic superhero genre. It'll probably get lambasted because it's coming out the same year as Detective Pikachu, though. "The internet never forgets", and other platitudes.

Last edited:
"Uncle Buck" is one of my favourite movies with John Candy. In my old tape there is the scene with Pooter the Clown where it shows how he rings the door-bell with his nose, after he had missed the door-bell with his finger. ^^ And this scene seems to be cut in current versions of the movie. It's very strange.

Back