Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

Wow, I was genuinely thinking they'd wrap up with a Shenmue IV... with Shenmue III being the introduction back into the Saga and IV tying of loose ends. Hmmm well as silly as it may sound, I think we've gotten past the worst pitfall - We've brought back Shenmue III & should it succeed, which by now I'd say is a certainty I don'd see why we can't see a Shenmue IV a couple of years down the line - of course this is ignoring the Epic fiasco, which I am hoping will blow over in time.

I know this whole development process must have been a lot on Yu Suzuki and his team. But if anything good can come from this backroom Epic/Deep Silver deal, I hope YsNet was injected with funds to go ahead with a fourth installment. And if so, I hope the team can take some time off and come back rejuvenated to work on the fourth game with a quicker turnaround.

Engine-wise it'll be easier and shorter, but still need plenty of fresh assets for the different cities. What is still known to be coming up? Shanghai and Forbidden City? Beijing? Very rusty on the subject please help.
The ending is a final fight against Tom in NY after learning that the mysterious scroll is just the hurricane kick and that Tom killed Lan Di's father and pinned Iwao.

As a longtime Shenmue fan, I'm excited for Shenmue 4 (and 5 and 6!) and to see what the story has in store for us. That being said, let's be realistic - how likely is it that we see this happen in the next few years?

I cannot imagine another Kickstart after the recent fiasco, so I feel the only solution is that Epic forked enough money to cover the next sequel. I'm not sure how much they give, but I heard it was $3M for a game far less known than Shenmue 3, so is it possible they could have the equivalent of the Kickstarter campaign from Epic? If that's the case, I will gladly say Epic may have been a necessary evil, but if they don't have enough funding I don't think this will end well for sequels.

As a longtime Shenmue fan, I'm excited for Shenmue 4 (and 5 and 6!) and to see what the story has in store for us. That being said, let's be realistic - how likely is it that we see this happen in the next few years?

I cannot imagine another Kickstart after the recent fiasco, so I feel the only solution is that Epic forked enough money to cover the next sequel. I'm not sure how much they give, but I heard it was $3M for a game far less known than Shenmue 3, so is it possible they could have the equivalent of the Kickstarter campaign from Epic? If that's the case, I will gladly say Epic may have been a necessary evil, but if they don't have enough funding I don't think this will end well for sequels.

Sega's involvement in the future too is up in the air. Suzuki got permission to create 3. Sega could step back in and publish the rest or even refuse more games to be made with the IP.

How realistic? Yu says he wants to roll right into development on IV and beyond after Shenmue III releases, and Cedric has said it's 50/50 if IV gets made even in the event of III flopping. There's a plan there. Fuck knows what it is, but something has been prepared.

Even before the events of this week, the intention was not to go back to crowdfunding. I think this was one of the earliest things Cedric said on the matter of Shenmue IV, even. The game's budget isn't massive, and a sizable portion has been offset by crowdfunding money, so the bar to profitability is lowered.

Is this enough to get another game made after Shenmue III? Without a crystal ball I couldn't tell you, but even in spite of recent hiccups, on paper it has a fighting shot.

I personally want to see Shenmue play out the way it was suppose to originally. I never wanted a manga or anime or any other kind of substitute. Deep down I would feel like I got cheated. Even if Shenmue isn't successful enough to have six games I can live with a cliffhanger.

I just thought of something Shenmue may be able to make to to 6 games if it releases on every platform except Nintendo.

I don't have anything against Nintendo it's just the hardware capabilities are not on par with everybody else.

The balls on Suzuki....he finally gets to finish his masterpiece after 20 long years, and decides (rightfully, hopefully) to keep it going. You'd have thought he'd do a D&D GoT rush job, but we can see he gives a shit about his work,

Huge Japanese balls. Great for the fans if we get to see it all finished. (a big 'if')

In all honesty I care more about the overall concept (in an aesthetic way) of the game than the story.
I probably won't pin for Shenmue IV as hard as I did with SIII, I can kinda consider the bucketlist fulfilled with SIII.
Though of course if Shenmue 3 is great I'll play the games (if they ever come out).

Last edited:
In all honesty I care more about the overall concept (in an aesthetic way) of the game than the story.
I probably won't pin for Shenmue IV as hard as I did with SIII, I can kinda consider the bucketlist fulfilled with SIII.
Though of course if Shenmue 3 is great I'll play the games (if they ever come out).
Not me, I need this entire story wrapped up before I die and if that means 5 more games being made by Yu Suzuki's brain in a jar then so be it.

It will not be as difficult to produce a Shenmue 4 as it was Shenmue 3. In terms of everything. Not even close.
People should be optimistic.
5 years ago this scenario would unthinkable. People would kill for this game.
Now, many just keep on bitching. lol
Hopefully Shenmue 3 will be awesome, and will further confirm why this series is so beloved by so many, and also leave us wanting as many Shenmues Suzuki can make.

It will not be as difficult to produce a Shenmue 4 as it was Shenmue 3. In terms of everything. Not even close.
People should be optimistic.
5 years ago this scenario would unthinkable. People would kill for this game.
Now, many just keep on bitching. lol
Hopefully Shenmue 3 will be awesome, and will further confirm why this series is so beloved by so many, and also leave us wanting as many Shenmues Suzuki can make.

Because when people asked for Shenmue III, they didnt really ask for Shenmue III as it is. They asked for continuation of the story. They asked for Shenmue as a saga to conclude. Not with 3 of course, but for Shenmue to be revived enough to the point it can get a conclusion.

For some reasons, I really hope Shenmue IV could be the conclusion. But with III bringing us not that far, I really hope Yu Suzuki can fill these 60% in 2 games. Because even with reasonable dev times, a conclusion might happen in more than 6 years.

And it's not guaranteed that Yu Suzuki gets two more chances to make a Shenmue game.

If Shenmue 4 doesn't happen I hope Yu Suzuki continues to make games. It's almost like a relief that he can make a brand new title from scratch with no expectations. He definitely has a lot of concept ideas

Back