Your top 10 favourite albums of all time?

I've seen Swans 3 times now and they are incredible. I met Michael Gira a few months ago but was very shy (I stupidly asked how was he and he said "here". He was very polite and shook my hand, mind). I think that modern Swans albums are sort of becoming a bit stale (The Seer/To Be Kind is God tier mind), but live they are a hypnotic, shaminstic experience.

As for Sleaford Mods? They are so weird. The singer (if you can call him that) is pretty cool, but the other guy just drank beer and pressed a button on a laptop and I found that showing contempt for the audience. I like them in small batches. As for mods in general? The Jam are a quintenessial British band if you ask me!

As for harsh noise, I do listen to Merzbow and Sunn O))), but as I get older I just don't enjoy noise for noise sake anymore (Monoliths and Dimensions is still an amazing album as they use horns and ambience inbetween the sheer noise terror). I still adore BORIS though. They have bankrupted me! The only gig I had to leave was BOREDOMS as I felt like I was going to go deaf towards the end.

I'm getting a bit more mellow as I age (currently listening to Sting and Robbie Williams today haha).

I've seen Swans 3 times now and they are incredible. I met Michael Gira a few months ago but was very shy (I stupidly asked how was he and he said "here". He was very polite and shook my hand, mind). I think that modern Swans albums are sort of becoming a bit stale (The Seer/To Be Kind is God tier mind), but live they are a hypnotic, shaminstic experience.

As for Sleaford Mods? They are so weird. The singer (if you can call him that) is pretty cool, but the other guy just drank beer and pressed a button on a laptop and I found that showing contempt for the audience. I like them in small batches. As for mods in general? The Jam are a quintenessial British band if you ask me!

As for harsh noise, I do listen to Merzbow and Sunn O))), but as I get older I just don't enjoy noise for noise sake anymore (Monoliths and Dimensions is still an amazing album as they use horns and ambience inbetween the sheer noise terror). I still adore BORIS though. They have bankrupted me! The only gig I had to leave was BOREDOMS as I felt like I was going to go deaf towards the end.

I'm getting a bit more mellow as I age (currently listening to Sting and Robbie Williams today haha).
When did you see Boredoms? They're one of my favourite bands ever! I saw them at Matt Groening's ATP back in 2010. Saw Daniel Johnston and The Residents too. And I could fit into slim fit jeans back then! Those were the days...

Boredoms - another one I never get around to, despite of being aware of em forever due to Kurt Cobain mentioning them. I think?

Japanese Noise stuff - I like what I’ve heard but I’m only really familiar with Merzbow and Aube - I have others, Incapacitants, K2, CCCC and I’m sure more that aren’t springing to mind just now. I remember I downloaded a Hanatarash album of some description probably 12-13 years ago, wasn’t sure what was supposed to be happening, but noise hadn’t clicked with me at that point. I can’t remember which one it was - something with penis in the title?? This is why I stick to physical formats for the most part - if I download things they don’t really register. Well. That and I don’t have a working laptop now and haven’t for the best part of a decade.

I’ve been meaning to get back into listening to noise, but the trouble is you need the house to yourself for that stuff haha… not easy to give it your full attention with a partner who hates it and a two year old who I’m pretty sure would hate it.

Speaking of weird Japanese shit:

I’ve got three of their records and they’re so strange - completely disjointed, sound like two bands playing in different rooms, then every once in a while you get a cloudy beauty coming out of the racket.

As is generally standard these days, I’ve got Coltrane on at the minute - First Meditations for Quartet. I do not foresee Sting or Robbie Williams popping up any time soon!

I can’t remember if I’ve ever listened to them - I feel like I did many years ago though? - but were they on Fat Wreck?

Back like 20 years ago when they used to have that horrible pink website with the bands logos all over it?

That may not make sense and I may be completely misremembering the internet of the past.

Back