Your PC specs for the Trial & Shenmue 3

Peter

Administrator
Anyone playing the demo will more than likely be playing it on PC, so thought this would be a good place to both post your stats, set up and help anyone who needs it.

Just recently upgraded from a gtx 1060 to an RTX 2070 and whilst I had to stream immediately after inserting it into my MoBo, my initial impressions were that I wasn't impressed at all. Perhaps it could be my set up, or the fact I am using my TV as a monitor rather than a dedicated PC monitor. But I remember the demo at Gamescom just looking and flowing better.

Anyways feel free to post your set up, what you are running the game at, frame rates below.

CPU - intel 4770k
Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate Intel LGA1150
PSU - Corsair CP-9020060-UK Builder Series CXM600
GPU - EVGA GTX 2070 (Black Edition)
RAM - G.Skill 16GB Ripjaws X Dual Channel Memory
SDD - 1TB
HDD - 500GB
Monitor - Samsung UE50NU7020 50" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED Smart TV

Highest performance achieved - 3840x2160 hovering between 40-50fps (certainly doesn't look like it though on my Samsung)

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 100 GB available space
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz)
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 100 GB available space
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.

I played on my brother's rig:
GTX 1080, i7, 16GB RAM

I played at first on a 4K TV, then a 1080p monitor and I must say, the game's far more impressive in 4K. Shame because I'll be playing on PS4. Oh well!

@Peter, did you manually set the resolution to 4K? Because on the 4K TV I used the default resolution was still 1080p (think it says 'borderless' or something), which looked pretty darn blurry. Then I went in and switched to 4K and was blown away.

*Sorry just reread your post and it seems like you did. But yes, it definitely wasn't as smooth on the TV compared to the monitor. You could almost feel extra input lag or something.

Blurry. Thats the exact word. But blurry when rotating the camera I should say, or running.... basically when moving. It looks great static.

I don't even know how my TV works, seriously. It says I need to turn on UHD for 4k and all that, yet it displays my PC at 4k when I set the resolution to 4k. When I turn ON UHD it then says theres no signal. It's all messed up.

I have a PS4 Pro and I know some games can achieve 4k fps, so I will wait and run tests to see how it all plays out, and what's the best method to play.

I guess I also need time to go in and check the settings. Speaking of which, anyone got a list of their settings from the NVidia CP? I think mines are still set at specific settings I was using from the Demul days lol.

Blurry. Thats the exact word. But blurry when rotating the camera I should say, or running.... basically when moving. It looks great static.

I don't even know how my TV works, seriously. It says I need to turn on UHD for 4k and all that, yet it displays my PC at 4k when I set the resolution to 4k. When I turn ON UHD it then says theres no signal. It's all messed up.

I have a PS4 Pro and I know some games can achieve 4k fps, so I will wait and run tests to see how it all plays out, and what's the best method to play.

I guess I also need time to go in and check the settings. Speaking of which, anyone got a list of their settings from the NVidia CP? I think mines are still set at specific settings I was using from the Demul days lol.
I'm running the following
Amd ryzen 7 2700
16gb Ram
M2 500gb SSD
1tb hdd
Radeon 580 8gb gpu.

Runs pretty well in 4k though I get some stutter. If I drop the resolution slightly I get 60fps glory.

However it makes the pc rather loud lol.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z w/ 6GB GDDR6 RAM
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: M.2 500GB
HDD: 3TB 3.5 Inch Seagate Drive
Power Supply: 700W

Got the game running at 1080p/60fps on my Sony 55 Inch 1080p LED-LCD TV. I too have my PC hooked directly to my TV. Runs as smooth as butter on that setup at 1080p.

I don’t have a 4K display, but on my 1080p TV, I think it looks flat out gorgeous with said specs. Runs buttery smooth as well. But yeah, I can’t speak for 4K performance seeing as I don’t have a set up to try it out with.

Last edited:
Deffo sounds like something to do with the TV Settings. I can think of a few things, and will link some stuff later, but just a quick question. When you play your PS4 Pro, you are using HDMI. When you switch to the PC, are you unplugging the PS4? and plugging in the PC into the same HDMI port, or are you using a different one? The reason I ask, is that you say you are losing the UHD signal when you try to switch to UHD to on. I know that some TV's only have 1 HDMI port that actually supports UHD. So if you are connecting the PC into a HDMI that doesn't support it, that would explain the signal loss.

Here is a link for Sony TVs (not sure if your's in on there) which shows the number of ports that support UHD. I believe if you take a look at the back of the TV, the ports that are supported should have a label (failing that it will say in the manual):

Edit:-
Work call, will add to this in a bit.

If you were playing on a Freesync monitor it would look much smoother than the TV at the same FPS. I would've though an RTX 2070 could manage 4k/60 with this.

I used an old i5 4670k, GTX 1660 and 12GB DDR3 in single channel because one stick died. 1080p/60 very high is no problem at all. 1440p is a decent 60fps at the high setting. For 4k I had to drop down to medium to keep it above 30fps.

Deffo sounds like something to do with the TV Settings. I can think of a few things, and will link some stuff later, but just a quick question. When you play your PS4 Pro, you are using HDMI. When you switch to the PC, are you unplugging the PS4? and plugging in the PC into the same HDMI port, or are you using a different one? The reason I ask, is that you say you are losing the UHD signal when you try to switch to UHD to on. I know that some TV's only have 1 HDMI port that actually supports UHD. So if you are connecting the PC into a HDMI that doesn't support it, that would explain the signal loss.

Here is a link for Sony TVs (not sure if your's in on there) which shows the number of ports that support UHD. I believe if you take a look at the back of the TV, the ports that are supported should have a label (failing that it will say in the manual):

Work call, will add to this in a bit.

No bud its a Samsung, with UHD switches for the 3 HDMI ports.

If you were playing on a Freesync monitor it would look much smoother than the TV at the same FPS. I would've though an RTX 2070 could manage 4k/60 with this.

I used an old i5 4670k, GTX 1660 and 12GB DDR3 in single channel because one stick died. 1080p/60 very high is no problem at all. 1440p is a decent 60fps at the high setting. For 4k I had to drop down to medium to keep it above 30fps.

I thought it would too. But when setting it to the highest resolution, the framerate jumps all over the place, usually hovering between 48-60 in open play.

Might be a bottle neck on CPU?

How does it perform when streaming and how does it perform when not streaming? Any major difference?

Nah it seems the same to be honest. Could be the CPU, it is well below the recommended CPU.

Nah it seems the same to be honest. Could be the CPU, it is well below the recommended CPU.
It's probably not your CPU. The CPU will be doing less at 4k than 1440p if the frame rate is lower.

Edit: pictures were mixed up.

Last edited:
Don't know if it runs at 60fps, but it certainly feels like it (at very high). I use

Corei5 8400
Geforce GTX 1050Ti
8GB DDR4 RAM

No bud its a Samsung, with UHD switches for the 3 HDMI ports.
lol well that clears that up then :p (just saw the model in the OP)

As I put the other day in the chat, I've been doing some tests when it comes to working out the performance of the demo. I've been mainly wanting to work out how hard the game is pushing my GPU and if my processor is bottle necking me. My system is getting rather old, so I was very surprised to get the frame rate that I am.

For the record, my specs are below:-
GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1)
i5 2500k @ 4 ghz
8gig ram
Asus PG248Q ROG Swift GSYNC - 180hz Monitor

I am playing at 1080p, Very High settings and am getting ~110-160 fps (some low dips when changing between the 2 sections of the town down to 90-100) which for Shenmue 3 is a bit over kill. Usually, I prefer a higher frame rate over resolution due to the competitive PC games I play, however, with Shenmue 3 (for the first time), I would like to move to 4k (if I can still hit 60fps). I don't have a 4k monitor, so am currently playing around with Nvidia DSR @4k, running tests to see if my CPU is going to bottleneck me.

Have you tried using MSI afterburner to work out if your CPU is the bottleneck? It will show you real-time graphs for all CPU cores, GPU usage etc, so you can see. I am currently doing this to work out if I can run 4k @ 60 (which I doubt with my CPU), before I jump on a 4k monitor.

Here's an example with Shenmue 3 @ 1080p:-
U3shzLK.jpg

The one thing that makes it a bit harder is that you are streaming at the same time, which is going to impact your CPU usage (unless you are using a capture card / second PC for the stream).

Have you tried using MSI afterburner to work out if your CPU is the bottleneck? It will show you real-time graphs for all CPU cores, GPU usage etc, so you can see. I am currently doing this to work out if I can run 4k @ 60 (which I doubt with my CPU), before I jump on a 4k monitor.

This is where I could use some help. What should I have on my PC in terms of software. I took out the 1060, put in the 2070, updated the NVidia drivers and... that's it. Is there anything else I need/should install?

This is where I could use some help. What should I have on my PC in terms of software. I took out the 1060, put in the 2070, updated the NVidia drivers and... that's it. Is there anything else I need/should install?
Nope that's all you need to do when getting a new Gfx card. As far as monitoring goes, I'd check out MSi afterburner. It's free and for monitoring it's pretty simple to use. You can use it to overclock your GPU, but that's something I generally stay away from as most aftermarket cards have increased core and boost clocks anyway.

Here's a link to the software and I've just found/skimmed through a video on youtube, that should help you understand it quickly:
The first section of the video would be the most important.

As mentioned above, I'm trying to work out the performance hit/bottleneck of my system at 4k, and besides the GPU, our systems are pretty similar. Granted your processor is an i7 (mines an i5), but we are both running ~6 year old parts which sadly limits us to an older CPU socket and thus the old DDR3 RAM. This is the main reason that's holding me back on an upgrade, because if I want to get a new CPU, I'd have to get a new Mobo, new RAM, new Cooler etc, and it all gets expensive quickly lol.

At the same time, you said that your Nvidia Shadowplay reports FPS of 40-50fps @4k although it doesn't feel/look like it. I think the main issue stems from a TV setting or the way that the 4k is setup. 50fps at 4k (with good frame pacing) should look & feel very nice, so something is up there. I wonder if the blurriness you mentioned is some form of interpolation that the TV is applying (like a sports mode on the TV, makes everything look faster but muddy/blurry).

I found how to tweak this setting on a model very similar to your TV (NU7300), and how to adjust it/turn it off. Would be a starting point to check here if you haven't yet:-
MOTION INTERPOLATION (SOAP OPERA EFFECT)
The 'Auto Motion Plus Settings' control the NU7300's motion interpolation. Since it has a 60Hz panel, it can only interpolate 30 fps content up to 60Hz. To do so, set 'Auto Motion Plus' to 'Custom' and increase the 'De-judder' slider to your liking to add more or less soap opera effect.
Article Link - There is a lot of good stuff in here. Also, talks about UHD Color (which is apparently HDR) which I believe supported on a game by game basis, I don't know if Shenmue 3 supports it, but my guess would be that it doesn't. If you are trying to turn this on, and that was what was making the colour go crazy, if it's not supported. See video.

Last edited:
I7 6700k, 16 GB Ram, GTX 970 OC, Win 10 64-bit. I'm still very fine with this machine. ;-)

i9 9900k, 16GB of ram, 1080ti. Game is running at a lock 60 at 4k at very high settings. Framerate drops between 45 to 60 when I push the draw distance further in the ini files.

That could be the anti-aliasing. It must be using post process anti-aliasing like TAA or SMAA, which can introduce blur or ghosting in motion.

GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: i7 8700
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB

Game is pretty demanding. Even with a 2080, at 4K i get dips below 60 at parts. ( I tried High and Very High settings)

Also tried 8K through supersampling and of course, its unplayable (single digits and teens) but good enough for taking pictures, heh.

Last edited:
My guess is your CPU is fine for this if it's pushing >100fps at 1080p. At higher resolutions the GPU will become a bottleneck.

Back