Would Lan Di beat the likes of Jianmin or Xiuying in a fight?

We all know Ryo can't touch those two, I think forced jianmin to parry a couple moves but Xiuying I can't touch. I feel Lan Di is stronger than these two, so damn we've got a long way to go if that's the case, what do you guys think?

Let's not forget that Iwao couldn't touch Lan Di. The likeliest scenario is that it's less of a fight and more of a ducking n weaving competition til someone calls it quits n goes home for a bit of scran.

TBH I can't imagine Lan Di being a whole level above Xiuying. I'd imagine he's her superior but only by a small margin. It'll be interesting to find out how this all works out...

Xiuying would be an interesting match. They are both very passive and strike at the right moment. That could lead into an epic fight.
Jianmin? I don't really see him even taking any thought of fighting Lan Di. He is capable but I don't think he belongs in a high rank.
Would you say Master Baihu > Jianmin? If so how could we beat Baihu but not lay a finger on Jianmin? Unless you say in the story by the time we reached Baihu, we were at a level where we could hurt Jianmin?

Well my thoughts were less about someone hurting Jianmin and more about Jianmin hurting someone instead.
I know he can hit very hard with his Iron Palm but is that enough for someone as calm and skilled as Lan Di?

Also, since Jianmin only learned his martial arts from Guixiang, why not speculate about her instead? It's kinda likely that she's even better.

IIRC Xiuying is aware of Lan Di and says something to Ryo like "If you cannot even defeat me, how do you expect to defeat the one against whom you seek revenge?" So she seems to think Lan Di is considerably stronger.

EDIT- The exact quote is "If I was the person against whom you sought revenge, you'd already be dead."

Would you say Master Baihu > Jianmin? If so how could we beat Baihu but not lay a finger on Jianmin? Unless you say in the story by the time we reached Baihu, we were at a level where we could hurt Jianmin?
There's also the fact that Ryo is just sparring and not fighting for the life of his friend, so there's that... Also Ryo did throw Jianmin pretty well...

Jianmin is how old? Ain't no way he's beating a disciplined master like Lan Di in his prime.
Do you think Lan Di could tap that tree and make all the leaves fall like Jianmin or was that some kind of zenish spiritual thing only Jianmin can do? If so that could work against Lan Di's youthful force and assumed arrogance.

Well my thoughts were less about someone hurting Jianmin and more about Jianmin hurting someone instead.
I know he can hit very hard with his Iron Palm but is that enough for someone as calm and skilled as Lan Di?

Also, since Jianmin only learned his martial arts from Guixiang, why not speculate about her instead? It's kinda likely that she's even better.
TBH I forgot she taught Jianmin cos we never really fight her, I imagine Ryo could not touch her either, so is Lan Di the strongest character we've been introduced to in your opinion?

IIRC Xiuying is aware of Lan Di and says something to Ryo like "If you cannot even defeat me, how do you expect to defeat the one against whom you seek revenge?" So she seems to think Lan Di is considerably stronger.

EDIT- The exact quote is "If I was the person against whom you sought revenge, you'd already be dead."
Yeah the exact quote makes it sound more like if Xiuying was serious, she would have just killed him, rather than Lan Di is stronger. Also damn really puts in perspective how much lower a level Ryo is compared to Lan Di if he is stronger than Xiuying, no wonder we need Shenmue 4. Ryo has a lot to learn.

Do you think Lan Di could tap that tree and make all the leaves fall like Jianmin or was that some kind of zenish spiritual thing only Jianmin can do? If so that could work against Lan Di's youthful force and assumed arrogance.

Lan Di isn't going to sit still like a tree and let old man Jianmin get his best shot in lol There's no contest here.

I wouldn't put Jianmin on the same level as Xiuying - being good at dodging isn't really much (hell, Ryo couldn't lay a hand on Shozo either - why not him too?). Plus Ryo is seen throwing Jianmin, so he's not that good. As mentioned, Guixiang taught Jianmin so it's likely Guixiang is stronger than Jianmin, and she is seen actually attacking someone in a non-sparring situation.

Assuming that Ziming is one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men (seems up in the air at the moment), I would guess he has a similar skill level to Lan Di; and being his sister, I'd guess Xiuying is also similar in skill.

Baihu is probably the next level down, about on par with Ryo at that point in the game (I think it's supposed to be an evenly matched battle where Ryo only just edges out the win).

It's implied that Ryo grows a lot as a martial artist thanks to Xiuying - not only directly through the moves she teaches (like the Counter Elbow Assault being used against Dou Niu) but also through learning the Wude and settling his mental state. I would wager that Ryo at the start of Shenmue II is not capable of beating Baihu, or even Rod Stunt, Greg More, and Chunyan. Guixiang is probably at this level too, and Jianmin and Shozo below her.

I wouldn't put Jianmin on the same level as Xiuying - being good at dodging isn't really much (hell, Ryo couldn't lay a hand on Shozo either - why not him too?). Plus Ryo is seen throwing Jianmin, so he's not that good. As mentioned, Guixiang taught Jianmin so it's likely Guixiang is stronger than Jianmin, and she is seen actually attacking someone in a non-sparring situation.

Assuming that Ziming is one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men (seems up in the air at the moment), I would guess he has a similar skill level to Lan Di; and being his sister, I'd guess Xiuying is also similar in skill.

Baihu is probably the next level down, about on par with Ryo at that point in the game (I think it's supposed to be an evenly matched battle where Ryo only just edges out the win).

It's implied that Ryo grows a lot as a martial artist thanks to Xiuying - not only directly through the moves she teaches (like the Counter Elbow Assault being used against Dou Niu) but also through learning the Wude and settling his mental state. I would wager that Ryo at the start of Shenmue II is not capable of beating Baihu, or even Rod Stunt, Greg More, and Chunyan. Guixiang is probably at this level too, and Jianmin and Shozo below her.
I always looked at Jianmin and Xiuying's dodging ability as an example of how poor Ryo is, the fact they can dodge almost every move means they could beat Ryo in a few hits, obviously I've taken the gameplay too literally thinking Lan Di will feel the same way if not better than the gameplay of Xiuying and Jianmin when we eventually face him. I remember as a kid being STRESSEED and terrified that I couldn't touch Xiuying thinking Lan Di would feel the same way but I'd actually have to beat him, not realising the game was fixed to play out like that no matter how good I was with Ryo haha. Tell you want I was using the dodge/button a helluva lot more after those sparring sessions and it actually works!

Back