Why I'm optimistic Shenmue's future

When you really think about it. Over the course of time, this is the most popular Shenmue has ever been. I'd say that it's reached a new peak. Even in comparison at it's launch, it's crazy that this game is still breaking records in 2018. In terms of it's place in gaming history, you can't tell the history of gaming without Shenmue. Even if you dissect it to the history of E3, now you have to mention Shenmue III and how it broke the internet. It belongs in the Smithsonian right next to Virtua Fighter imo.

This is a very unique circumstance as I've never seen a franchise revived from the dead like this before. Which is why I agree with OP in terms of Shenmue's future. Huber's Reaction vid, the first Shenmue teaser all have over a million views on Youtube which means eyes are on this series. Although I have my personal issues with the remasters as a fan, people are responding well to the re-release.

The impact that the first two games left on us OG's is now being experienced by a group of young, new gamers and I'm confident in saying that over 90% of the new gamers who finish Shenmue I and II will be right there with the OG's on August 27th. That factor can't be underestimated for the future of the series going forward.

Agreed. Shenmue is now more accessible to humanity than ever before. We also have one year to promote this work of art to the greater public before the launch of III. Lots of promising opportunities in this new era.

If Virtua Fighter is in the Smithsonian, Shenmue deserves to be in Musée du Louvre.

I hope by the time III comes out, it’ll get a perfect 40 from Famitsu.

But I do believe Shenmue is back and better than ever. Does its present success prove it was too much ahead of its time of debut? Or does it have to age like a fine wine? Or a mix of both?

I hope Shenmue comes back as a multimedia franchise. Can we get Manga and anime adaptations? New figures? Piano books for the soundtracks? Shenmue cereal? Or Shenmue sushi?

Shenmue has always had this unique impact. It encouraged a good number of us to visit the real life locations, study asian culture, martial arts and programming.
I am hoping III can ignite that same reaction

At some point I'm hoping Sega does the inevitable and give us a Shenmue x Yakuza game. Even if it's DLC I'm going to be all in. I'd pay money just to see what a conversation between Ryo Hazuki and Kazuma Kiryu in a Sega game would be like. Especially their current/older versions (Yakuza 6 Kiryu/Shenmue 5 Ryo) after the crazy stuff they've both been through.

Back