Who's starting to feel a little...emotional?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
Just watching snippets of the new releases is making me feel a swell of emotion I haven't felt in a while. I have a feeling I'm going to get a bit bleary eyed when I load up these games tomorrow night.

Shenmue 2 made me cry quite a bit when I first completed it. The frustration of knowing this beautiful experience was dead in its tracks and that I'd never find out what happens once I get out of the cave really crushed me. That was a very bittersweet moment for me, and I can't believe we're somehow where we are 15-16 years later (in a much more optimistic place).

A lot of emotion is going to spill out of me tomorrow night.

Here's hoping for many great experiences for everyone tomorrow!

That it took us this long for SEGA to even do something so simple, says enough about how Shenmue fans have been treated for the better part of 15 years. I thought with the rise of the XBL arcade, PSN, virtual console, Steam, etc. that a simple Shenmue re-release would have been a no-brainer, but it never happened. I thought with the HD collection/re-release craze on the 360/PS3, it would have been a no-brainer, but it never happened. Hell, even after somehow, some way, Shenmue III itself was announced, it would have been a no-brainer, but nope, SEGA waited years to give us something this simple. And of course, this is completely forgetting the decade or so where SEGA completely avoided even acknowledging Shenmue existed. I believe they even let the Shenmue.com domain go at one point and it was run by fans.

Now would exactly be the time to be emotional.

I can't believe I'll be able to walk into a Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc...tomorrow and see a copy of Shenmue sitting in the video game aisle. Last time that happened, I was in high school. The only difference is that I'll actually have money to buy it myself this time.

I rode my bike to Wal Mart the day Shenmue came out for the Dreamcast. Feels like yesterday, except now I'm in my 30s! I think it was a fairly chilly day, the best kind of day for nostalgic memories...

I asked for a Dreamcast and Shenmue (mostly for Shenmue) the Christmas of 2000. I bugged my parents so much about Shenmue they bought the game for me a couple of weeks before Christmas, spoiling that I was getting a DC. They didn't care, they just wanted me to shut up and make sure I had the damn game on Christmas morning. I remember getting the DC for Christmas and playing Jet Grind Radio before Shenmue, I had hyped the game so much that I was scared to actually put it into the machine and play it. Just holding the case and looking at it was incredible. Of course, I did eventually, and that Christmas break was probably the best one ever as a kid.

Back