Which of these 2 do you prefer?

Sega has said that if the collection sells well,it could lead to bigger things. Here is 2 ideas, 1st a Shenmue remake from scratch,crash bandicoot remake style. Second, how about a Shenmue 0 ,focusing on the fathers and lan di backstory,with no ryo?

That's a question.

I'd go for a Shenmue 0 first and then remakes of the first two.

I'd like to see some side story stuff in the Shenmue universe but I have to say that's something I'd leave until the original saga is finished.
I guess this is a given in the example of how to handle a Shenmue 0, but just wanted to get that out.

So at the moment I'd much prefer the full remake of the two.

For the Shenmue 1 and 2 collection to sell well how many copies do you think it needs to sell for SEGA to be happy?

Considering how the original games sold I'd say something like 2 million would be good. What Sega expects... who knows. Probably more like a million as an even, generic number.

Since Shenmue 2X sold very poorly they probably want to sell as many copies as possible. It would do so good to the series future if it can sell over a million. I think Shenmue III can reach 2 million in sales or more it's the most requested sequel of all time.

I like the idea of Shenmue 0 if it means spending more of the story in Japan. I like the China setting, but I do hope they go back to Japan eventually....

Gimme 0. Shenmue games for me are perfect and i feel remakes wont have the same effect on me. With 0 we could dabble more into the lore of the story before Iwao's death. I would like to know more about his character.

2+ million copies seems pretty high if you ask me.
Capcoms target for Resident Evil 7 was 4 mil copies in three months and they didnt reach it.
Yakuza 6 sold about 1 mil copies world wide (by now).

i wouldnt expect too much from a "budget remaster". i mean, its possible but i wouldnt count on it.

There is a lot of buzz around Shenmue, people have been demanding these games for such a long time. Yeah the core fanbase isn't that large but still, the current situation around the games is pretty good for them to sell on a decent level.

If we keep in mind how this collection has now blown up the charts on Amazon, I say it's already selling well for what it is. Now imagine Shenmue 3 comes out to critical praise. Lets say Shenmue 3 gets a 9/10 from the likes of IGN, Gamespot etc.
Everyone will pay more attention and buy more of 1&2 HD.
Breathing a second life into it's sales.
That's the best case scenario then isn't it?
Worst case is Shenmue 3 gets shit on critically and 1&2 HD turn into bargain bin territory. Yet even that would help sales in theory because of volume. At the same time though, the franchise takes a hit in perceived quality and Sega is unimpressed.
That leaves us with not much likely hood in a remake or a zero.

What could also help is if PSN Plus offers it as a free game of the month just before Shenmue 3 launches.
Then that really helps the franchise out on the whole in so many ways.

Shenmue 0 (endorsed/involvement with Yu Suzuki) out of those 2 for sure. Remakes to me are cool (especially once the original games are obtainable/intact in which case they will be) but I just don't think that should be the priority right now and imo necessary at this stage.

A 0 at least could introduce a lot of interesting insight into the lore and newcomers and such... but ideally the sooner we can prevent a situation where anything risks not making 4 and 5 possible/feasible the better.

What could also help is if PSN Plus offers it as a free game of the month just before Shenmue 3 launches.
Then that really helps the franchise out on the whole in so many ways.

I agree, i think PSNow (maybe with that rumoured 'download' option coming this year)+Xbox gamepass (or even PS+/GWG) are the best way to experience these games for newcomers oblivious to this series down the line because you have have completely different expectations going into it compared to it being something you buy physically.

There's a lot of games that i've tried in these sorts of subscription services that I otherwise wouldn't ever have probably played or given the chance. Recently 'NiGHTs into Dreams' and 'I am Alive' fell into this category and I feel Shenmue down the line could do the same for others.

Reactions: AXM
I want a Shenmue game that takes place during Shenmue II, but you play as Fuku and have to build a harem of all the ladies in Yokosuka. Including Ine.

Between the two, I'd rather go with more story and have Zero created. I'm guessing this would be in the same vein to Yakuza 0 or Resident Evil 0. That said, I would much rather that they finish the story of Ryo vs Lan Di with Shenmue IV and Shenmue V before going back in time to add more back story.

Yeah, Zero definitely. I'd go with Ryo growing up and ending in the beginning of Shenmue. I think, there's a lot of stuff that you could do with it, stuff that would immediately resonate with fans at least.

A true remake would probably be an immense undertaking, at least as ambitious as Shenmue III. It would be interesting to see SEGA get back on board with Yu for Shenmue IV though. Or maybe fund a new remastered version of the soundtrack featuring real instruments.

Remakes I'd be ok with, but I don't want them making any new material(shenmue 0, side story stuff) without Yu Suzuki involved.
If it is a big success I think some kind of DLC for the pre-existing games is more realistic, anyway. They could add micro-transactions to the slot machines and start making that real money.

Back