What's ban evasion?

Essentially it's when a previously banned member signs back up to the boards with a new account. For the sake of transparency, when we ban someone the reason is noted in a box above their latest post. With people having to re-register accounts for the new forums, we've had a fair few cases of banned members trying to sneak back on. This is why you may have seen a a high number ban evasion notices lately.

Essentially it's when a previously banned member signs back up to the boards with a new account. For the sake of transparency, when we ban someone the reason is noted in a box above their latest post. With people having to re-register accounts for the new forums, we've had a fair few cases of banned members trying to sneak back on. This is why you may have seen a a high number ban evasion notices lately.

They would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling Shenmue kids and their stupid cat!

It's good to know that as Peter said, the staff now finally have a way to get rid of these toxic accounts permanently.

It's good to know that as Peter said, the staff now finally have a way to get rid of these toxic accounts permanently.
Yeah, the new forum software has really streamlined the process and allowed us to catch them much faster. We had tools before on the old boards, but they felt primitive and slow. By comparison, there have been occasions when the new forums have let us detect ban evaders before they can even make their first post!

? Nice one Kodama

I take it those banned from the old forum are also banned on the new forums?

I take it those banned from the old forum are also banned on the new forums?
Yes, as Peter stated here the new forums and new site, do not mean past sins are forgiven. They were permanently banned for a reason. We are entering an exciting new age for Shenmue, and we want this to be a great place to be, not a soap box where venom is spread.

Yes, as Peter stated here the new forums and new site, do not mean past sins are forgiven. They were permanently banned for a reason. We are entering an exciting new age for Shenmue, and we want this to be a great place to be, not a soap box where venom is spread.

Gotchya, I would imagine those individuals must have been repeat offenders or have done something significant to have been banned but I am glad that we can promote a more positive environment.

Gotchya, I would imagine those individuals must have been repeat offenders or have done something significant to have been banned but I am glad that we can promote a more positive environment.
That's right, serious repeat offenders and previously bad things from the old forums. It's going to be a lot better here now, we also have many new tools to weed them out with :)

To the new comers around here, you would be surprised the number of bad apples we have had around here over the years. Obviously its an old forum and an old community and you are going to have that, but the worst of it probably happened in the more early days and after Shenmue II came out. Around the mid 2000s when the initial development of Shenmue III went silent for a couple years there were new members creating accounts just to try to bait everyone into believing they had information that Sega was developing Shenmue III at that time. It was nothing more than trolling, and the community was just prey to what was described at the time as a "dead cult franchise desperate for any information" and that really wasnt too far off, those posts riled some people up, people actually believed some of these jokers because we wanted Shenmue III so badly then and werent happy when they realized they had been deceived, and it was a legitimate problem.

That being said, those people probably arent the ones evading their ban now, those people I mentioned above never really cared about Shenmue, they just wanted a reaction. These days its probably the other bad apples that were a legitimate parts of the community at some point and took things too far in the past, got too upset about a multitude of topics over the years (Shenmue III, Shenmue Online, general frustration about over 10 years of not hearing about the continuation of Ryos story). The general consensus for many years was that Shenmue was dead and we would never see another game and for the most part all hope was lost and forgotten about, thats how jaded we all became. Looking back on it now though, it really just went into hybernation. It just meant so much to some that the passion turned negative and frustration caused many to snap and get banned, I think its more of merit that Shenmue envokes that kind of passion on to you and while it caused problems in the past, it also was the catalyst that is allowing Shenmue III to be in development today. But dont get it wrong, people have been banned for everything under the sun at this place over the years, so its really a mixed bag but the majority for the things I have mentioned.

That's right, serious repeat offenders and previously bad things from the old forums. It's going to be a lot better here now, we also have many new tools to weed them out with :)

Well that makes me feel better now, I was worried it new rules had come into effect and if I was doing something wrong. I was never banned from the original forums though some of my original posts were somewhat embarrassing as I was still in highschool during that time. If they were people who never cared for the series and were trying to create a toxic environment, I think we will be better off without them.

Well that makes me feel better now, I was worried it new rules had come into effect and if I was doing something wrong. I was never banned from the original forums though some of my original posts were somewhat embarrassing as I was still in highschool during that time. If they were people who never cared for the series and were trying to create a toxic environment, I think we will be better off without them.

People have been banned for nothing over the years. Literally nothing, except having a differing opinion of a movie or something. Those people have never returned, and those are the losses I feel. One of the people banned from here permamently has that on his rap list, as well as many other boxes that have been ticked. Any one of those boxes warrenting a ban alone.

Others include repeat offenders whos actions were so frequent and vile that they etched their names into many heads who were around at the time. One, well, one in particular is a hard one, but outside of this site, anyone who is a threat to Shenmue itself, and this community with hate speech, threats and general shit mongering will be completely removed from this site. Anyone who threatens Shenmue and this community which a lot of people have worked hard on will not be anywhere near here, including anyone who associates with people like that.

If anyone thinks, oh here's Peter and his reign of dictatorship... Well if I gave you the specific reasons with specific examples then you wouldn't think that at all, but, even if you still did, bear in mind that not one single person makes a decision around here without support and consultation first. We have 3 admins here, one of which was the previous owner for 8 years. He has supported every decision I have made here, with not a single voice of concern. We have dedicated staff, all of whom are trained in every aspect of account analysis, old forum and new, with the best tools at their disposal to catch idiots who want to waste their own time in their lives, and no one... Not even me, has the authority to go postal and throw out bans and make changes which past admins have done.

We didn't build a Shenmue Dojo with gas soaked wood here. He built something we are all proud of, out of love and dedication, and it's this that we will use to preserve it as best we can, to have a home for genuine Shenmue fans. Not those who want to burn it down.

People have been banned for nothing over the years. Literally nothing, except having a differing opinion of a movie or something. Those people have never returned, and those are the losses I feel. One of the people banned from here permamently has that on his rap list, as well as many other boxes that have been ticked. Any one of those boxes warrenting a ban alone.

Others include repeat offenders whos actions were so frequent and vile that they etched their names into many heads who were around at the time. One, well, one in particular is a hard one, but outside of this site, anyone who is a threat to Shenmue itself, and this community with hate speech, threats and general shit mongering will be completely removed from this site. Anyone who threatens Shenmue and this community which a lot of people have worked hard on will not be anywhere near here, including anyone who associates with people like that.

If anyone thinks, oh here's Peter and his reign of dictatorship... Well if I gave you the specific reasons with specific examples then you wouldn't think that at all, but, even if you still did, bear in mind that not one single person makes a decision around here without support and consultation first. We have 3 admins here, one of which was the previous owner for 8 years. He has supported every decision I have made here, with not a single voice of concern. We have dedicated staff, all of whom are trained in every aspect of account analysis, old forum and new, with the best tools at their disposal to catch idiots who want to waste their own time in their lives, and no one... Not even me, has the authority to go postal and throw out bans and make changes which past admins have done.

We didn't build a Shenmue Dojo with gas soaked wood here. He built something we are all proud of, out of love and dedication, and it's this that we will use to preserve it as best we can, to have a home for genuine Shenmue fans. Not those who want to burn it down.

Thank you for clarifying this Peter, and I understand the community you and all of us want to build. The real world and real problems there is so much of that which already exists, I remember some trying to post on other forums like Sherdog to talk about MMA or the bodybuilding forums, and I never felt welcomed at those places because they had been overrun by the very worse of the worse to where sometimes the mods on those sites appeared to unofficially endorse the behavior.

I think all of us would probably be in a better world if we all lived in the world of shenmue in Dobuita visiting the bars, playing raffle at tomato convenience, gambling at the slothouse and sparring in the dojo. I was having a discussion with my wife how Shenmue feels like such a wonderful world and we do not have to fear the politics and issues of the real world and I know many things about this series have brought me happiness and consoled me during some difficult times.

I also want to say, if I ever have said anything or my actions have caused anyone to feel bad, that I apologize and I certainly hope that I can continue to be part of this community and contribute. I know as an individual, many things I am ashamed of and I can only do my best to associate with the community and grow together with you all.

I also think that over the years, many of us here at the community, including myself want to learn and continue to change ourselves to be better individuals everyday by challenging ourselves and humbleness.

Perhaps my favorite quote in Shenmue "Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror" and so that we may reflect the image to others that we want to see ourselves.

Regards

*EDIT* 11:56 PM CST / Searching the old forums...I now understand what you mean Peter, honestly I must have been living under a rock but now it makes more sense.

Last edited:
I also think that over the years, many of us here at the community, including myself want to learn and continue to change ourselves to be better individuals everyday by challenging ourselves and humbleness.
This ??. I was struck by that the other day, when I realised that a large majority of the users here are around the same age. Which means, back then we were a lot younger, less mature and more stupid and brash. Some never change, but the majority of us have become adults, some have kids, some just learned to respect others and their opinions. So I feel we all would be embarrassed about things we said and did back then, me included.

To be honest, I'm embarrassed over half the stuff I say these days too ?

Back