What would a Shenmue board game look like?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
For some reason, I've been thinking about board games lately. And after seeing the awesome Cutom Persona 4 Monopoly DIY kit, I started thinking "has anyone ever asked on the Dojo about what a Shenmue board game would be?"

I've always been a sucker for the like of video game themed Monopoly boards and such and it got me to thinking...what would a Shenmue themed board game be? What would be your ideal Shenmue board game? How would it play? Would it be Monopoly themed? Or something even more crazy? What would you do?

How would you make Shenmue the Board Game?

Last edited:
I've actually been working on some ideas for something like a Shenmue board game if you can imagine ha!

Something monopoly-esque with some Shenmue specific elements would be cool I think.

You say : Shenmue board game and I immediately think :
Shenmue-skinned "Les Mystères de Pékin" could be a fair concept-base.
(It's aboard game where you ask characters for clues to try and uncover a culprit,
then players track them down on the board.)

Edit: have I said that the game feature a sage whose clue card (about who may lie)
is read using a mirror, as its text is flipped ?

Last edited:
I'd incorporate chance elements in the board games with qte commands somehow haha!
Collect qte card. If qte is right arrow, take a right at dimsum Qr.

Last edited:
Pop-up Pirate with Lan Di as the pirate and each of Ryo's moves etched into the daggers. The player who causes Lan Di to pop out using the least amount of daggers is the winner.

This could be a very interesting project to explore.
I think so too. I've got the outline of a game structure that I think has potential in a Google Doc and have been playing around with some board designs.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this project the past few days - could be very cool!

I think so too. I've got the outline of a game structure that I think has potential in a Google Doc and have been playing around with some board designs.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this project the past few days - could be very cool!
I think there are some companies that create custom board games as well. You hand them the designs and tell them what you would like, and they put it together.

It's definitely a great project idea. It would be awesome to see it come to life

Amazing idea, would love it

Personally, I think it could incorporate elements of exploration, mystery, and maybe even some martial arts action. Maybe players could traverse through different districts of Yokosuka, gathering clues and solving puzzles to uncover the mystery behind Ryo's father's murder. And hey, why not throw in some mini-games inspired by the arcade games in the original Shenmue? As for me, I'd love to see a unique twist on classic card games like Spades woven into the gameplay. What about you? How would you envision the Shenmue board game?

Back