We could have Shenmue 4 for just $3,703 apiece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SMDzero if it’s not announced by the end of 2024 then we should start getting worried
The goal posts keep getting moved. I’ve heard that we should be worried by the end of 2022 THEN it was by the end of 2023. Was there anything more regarding 110 industries? IIRC even Corey Marshal was teasing Shenmue 4 when 110 showed that apple and banana and now NOTHING a year later??? I really think Baisha getting cut from S3 is what killed it critically and commercially. Suzuki really needed to delay the game another year to put in Baisha and that’s where the climax and the main story elements would have been not to mention the innovative character perspective gameplay. Shenmue would have been put back on the map and we’d likely HAVE S4 by now. Just imagine if S2 had Kowloon and Guilin cut out and at the end of disc 2 Lan Dis chopper shows up in Pigeon Park and you fight Don Niu there and find Zhu in the 5 Star Corps near the warehouses and then the game ended? THATS what basically happened to Shenmue 3!

Last edited:
The goal posts keep getting moved. I’ve heard that we should be worried by the end of 2022 THEN it was by the end of 2023. Was there anything more regarding 110 industries? IIRC even Corey Marshal was teasing Shenmue 4 when 110 showed that apple and banana and now NOTHING a year later??? I really think Baisha getting cut from S3 is what killed it critically and commercially. Suzuki really needed to delay the game another year to put in Baisha and that’s where the climax and the main story elements would have been not to mention the innovative character perspective gameplay. Shenmue would have been put back on the map and we’d likely HAVE S4 by now. Just imagine if S2 had Kowloon and Guilin cut out and at the end of disc 2 Lan Dis chopper shows up in Pigeon Park and you fight Don Niu there and find Zhu in the 5 Star Corps near the warehouses and then the game ended? THATS what basically happened to Shenmue 3!
While i agree with you that’s what happened to shenmue 3 but it wasn’t a commercial failure please stop spreading misinformation.

How
While i agree with you that’s what happened to shenmue 3 but it wasn’t a commercial failure please stop spreading misinformation.
How do we define failure then? Surely if Shenmue 3 was not a failure we’d have a sequel right? I’m not attacking Shenmue 3, I think there are actually some things S3 did BETTER than 1 and 2 and understand that S3 was released in an unfinished state. But I’m talking about sales and critical reception. The game has a 67 on meta critic and even some fans hate the game one guy on YouTube even claims he wasted his life.

How

How do we define failure then? Surely if Shenmue 3 was not a failure we’d have a sequel right? I’m not attacking Shenmue 3, I think there are actually some things S3 did BETTER than 1 and 2 and understand that S3 was released in an unfinished state. But I’m talking about sales and critical reception. The game has a 67 on meta critic and even some fans hate the game one guy on YouTube even claims he wasted his life.
Like the other dojo members pointed out there’s many successful games that still haven’t gotten sequels

Like the other dojo members pointed out there’s many successful games that still haven’t gotten sequels
67 on meta critic is not critically successful, and no way the sales of the game were that good even Shenmue 1&2 HD outsold 3! And even WORSE Shenmue 3 split the fan base, there are lots of Shenmue fanatics even here at the dojo who hate Shenmue 3. Look I will defend Shenmue 3 I think the game gets a lot of underserved flack I'll even refute my own critique below but we can't deny reality!

1.) NOT a story about thugs.
Story is only 40% done, Ryo has always fought mainly thugs up until this point.

2.) Only 1 paywall in the game (max $500) and the ability to save-scum
Paywalls help to give currency a purpose.

3.). The floating sword must be explained.
Perhaps it will be in the remaining 60% of the story that remains to be told.

4.) Rate of stamina loss reduced by 33% and QTE timing window increased by 33%
Stamina gives food a purpose in the game unlike S1 and S2

5.) The 4 Chi-You Men Leaders must be introduced.
S3 gave us a hint at there being other Chi You Men Leaders, had the fans not known about the 4 Leaders already Niao Suns sudden intro/Lan Di betrayal would have been better recieved. We wanted more because we already knew more and S4 will reveal more on the 4 Leaders anyway.

6.). Baisha must be in the game WITH character perspective system.
We know it was cut due to the low budget.

7.) Option for Shenhua to wear her classic outfit.
Well it's a matter of taste.

Last edited:
67 on meta critic is not critically successful, and no way the sales of the game were that good even Shenmue 1&2 HD outsold 3! And even WORSE Shenmue 3 split the fan base, there are lots of Shenmue fanatics even here at the dojo who hate Shenmue 3. Look I will defend Shenmue 3 I think the game gets a lot of underserved flack I'll even refute my own critique below but we can't deny reality!

1.) NOT a story about thugs.
Story is only 40% done, Ryo has always fought mainly thugs up until this point.

2.) Only 1 paywall in the game (max $500) and the ability to save-scum
Paywalls help to give currency a purpose.

3.). The floating sword must be explained.
Perhaps it will be in the remaining 60% of the story that remains to be told.

4.) Rate of stamina loss reduced by 33% and QTE timing window increased by 33%
Stamina gives food a purpose in the game unlike S1 and S2

5.) The 4 Chi-You Men Leaders must be introduced.
S3 gave us a hint at there being other Chi You Men Leaders, had the fans not known about the 4 Leaders already Niao Suns sudden intro/Lan Di betrayal would have been better recieved. We wanted more because we already knew more and S4 will reveal more on the 4 Leaders anyway.

6.). Baisha must be in the game WITH character perspective system.
We know it was cut due to the low budget.

7.) Option for Shenhua to wear her classic outfit.
Well it's a matter of taste.
We don’t have fully official data that shows Shenmue 1&2 HD sold better than shenmue 3, i mean the game was barely marketed in japan and it sold almost 18K in it’s first week

We don’t have fully official data that shows Shenmue 1&2 HD sold better than shenmue 3, i mean the game was barely marketed in japan and it sold almost 18K in it’s first week
Ok fine you win man, I admit it: Shenmue 3 was a critical and commercial success. Surely because of this Shenmue 4 will be announced any day now....

I think this thread has run its course.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back