VR - is it the future?

@James Brown put it best by saying that they can coexist. I've enjoyed my brief experience with VR in a "gaming" sense (even though it was just the Steam preview type shit), but my experience from a technical and comfort perspective (disclaimer: I only used the Vive) it was fucking atrocious. Despite adjustments the focus was never 100%, or 80% for that matter. It's also a pain in the arse to set up, and it didn't help that I was the only one using it in a room full of other students (I felt like Boris the Blade before Tyrone the Silly Fat Bastard mows him over)

2:09 for those who haven't seen Snatch:

I am very much looking forward to the next gen for VR though. I feel it's starting to find it's footing, and once they make the necessary improvements to the technology (which they may have already, I don't know), plus get a firmer grasp on the principles of design for it, VR will definitely start to come into it's own.

...though I'm much more curious about AR, personally.

I was tempted to get PSVR a week ago when the bundle with the headset, sensor, two games and two touch controllers was price dropped to $250 and the 15% off everything Ebay code would have brought it down to $212 with free shipping and no tax. And I would have, had I not already had Oculus Rift and had allocated the funds towards overhauling my old PC. My Rift is undeniably better hardware, but the lack of quality VR games with staying power make the Playstation exclusives enticing.

I got the Rift over a year ago. I love it, but the lack of content results in it seeing little use sadly. I love Robo Recall, but it's over in a blink. I think the thing I dislike the most is the cord. :( Though that is sadly the limitation we must accept with gen 1 hardware. The Vive has already gone wireless, abit at outrageous cost.

I want to play Fatal Frame VR...taking pictures of them ghosts in VR would definitely be scary.
That sounds like a match made in heaven mate! Looking forward to Space Channel 5 VR, and hope that SEGA plan to do similar things with some of their other games...obvious series being House of the Dead and Virtua Cop which would both be perfect to bring back light gun games again whilst the peripherals are available and a bit of a no brainer!

HotD was a fantastic Wiimote game, as well. How about Seaman VR??? :p

Seriously, though, NiGHTS would be amazing in VR, no?

Panzer Dragoon would've been cool with motion control. Wii could've handled a port of Orta, surely.

Cosmic Smash in VR!!

A whole thread could be done on Sega games that need to come to VR. It almost feels like that's what they were intended for in the first place :cool:

Space Harrier VR
House of the Dead VR
Gunblade VR (my personal wish)
Phantasy Star Online VR
Daytona USA VR
Burning Rangers VR
Scud Race VR
Hang on VR
Sonic Adventure 3 VR (running around with sonic with concepts borrowed from Astrobot, which basically turns it into Sonic Xtreme VR)
Virtua Cop 3
Yakuza VR
Shenmue VR
Vectorman VR

...the list goes on and on

Sega could seriously develop a whole infrastructure around porting some of their classics to VR with the mantra of "Bringing the arcade experience home" and I think current and future VR adopters would eat this up. I know I would!

Last edited:
Yeah that'd be sweet. Not just SEGA but I'd love to see a load of Namco's classic IPs like Time Crisis, Pac-Man and Ridge Racer done with VR. Also Tower of Druaga could be revived. I'd definitely be intrigued to try out a dungeon crawler in VR like that (dark alleys not knowing what's around the next corner, a real good atmospheric, dark, hard, first-person JRPG like that would be sweet).

i could be wrong but talking of VR, ive got a feeling that the reason why cyberpunk 2077 is first person only is because they want to make the first AAA VR game.

Resident Evil 7 is absolutely incredible in VR. That is all.

Anything with on-rails is going to give you a MAJOR headache. That’s for sure. Especially if you play for more than 10 minutes. It’s just as bad as a hang over.

Anything with on-rails is going to give you a MAJOR headache. That’s for sure. Especially if you play for more than 10 minutes. It’s just as bad as a hang over.
Seems to dependent on the individual, I feel for people that get motion sickness, as that really sucks and it's a complete off put I bet from using the device! Personally I can play the device for hours with no issues whatsoever, apart from a bit of discomfort from the sides of the headset gripping my head all that time.

I personally don't feel any kind of motion sickness from playing the VR. Even with all the assists off on RE7 and Skyrim, I feel absolutely fine.

You should try playing racing games in VR. Those were the worst for me. Certain games like the VR playroom are ok with me, but other games are just another animal.

Back