Visiting Yokohama/Yokosuka IRL

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
First, sorry I've been away. Personal and health reasons.

Second, I'm not sure where to put this but figured here would be alright?

So, come January (if my flight doesn't get changed.) I'll be visiting Japan for the very first time. And flying for the very first time as well. (I'm scared of heights. RIP. ) I hope to visit locations from Shenmue while I am there. Now to the point. Is there a guide anywhere to direct me of some nice places to go?

Also, it'd be nice to meet up with anyone who's willing that is already in Japan or anyone who also plans to go around that time.

Can't wait to walk Dobuita in Winter.

First, sorry I've been away. Personal and health reasons.

Second, I'm not sure where to put this but figured here would be alright?

So, come January (if my flight doesn't get changed.) I'll be visiting Japan for the very first time. And flying for the very first time as well. (I'm scared of heights. RIP. ) I hope to visit locations from Shenmue while I am there. Now to the point. Is there a guide anywhere to direct me of some nice places to go?

Also, it'd be nice to meet up with anyone who's willing that is already in Japan or anyone who also plans to go around that time.

Can't wait to walk Dobuita in Winter.
Depends on how long you hope to go and your travelling style (I enjoy walking around and seeing as much as I can in one day rather than relaxing). I like having a plan as a base and then being flexible with it, but I recommend googling 'things to do in Tokyo' remembering the names of specific areas for the stuff that interests you, then searching by the area (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Akihabara) and finding points of interest within walking distance of a station, and then walking from A to B while getting as many of those things in as possible. You could do two i.e. Ueno and Akihabara in a day for example. If that's too much effort, it is possible to explore things within the radius of train stations as well instead of walking. Getting a bus to specific places is only necessary when you get outside of the city or go to smaller places.

There are some good plans online already, so you could just google '4-day itinerary in tokyo' for example.

Also, Yokosuka is pretty far from Central Tokyo, so unless you only want to do a day trip with long train journeys, I recommend staying in Yokosuka for a night.

Last edited:
Also, Yokosuka is pretty far from Central Tokyo, so unless you only want to do a day trip with long train journeys, I recommend staying in Yokosuka for a day or two.
Is it though? It only takes an hour from Shinagawa station. Unless you plan on visiting Monkey Island (which I wouldn’t recommend during winter months) you could easily do Yokosuka in a single day. I only spent about 90 minutes there on my last visit and still managed to get to every location on the sacred spots map.

Is it though? It only takes an hour from Shinagawa station. Unless you plan on visiting Monkey Island (which I wouldn’t recommend during winter months) you could easily do Yokosuka in a single day. I only spent about 90 minutes there on my last visit and still managed to get to every location on the sacred spots map.
Shinagawa is a good 30mins to 1 hour from Central-ish Tokyo, so let's say 2+ hours one-way if you don't know where you are going, so maybe 4+ hours round trip. I did everything in a day trip as well, but I was with my family, I think (not knowing ShenmueTree's circumstances) if I travelled by myself to Japan almost specifically to go to Yokosuka then I dunno, I might make more of a thing out of it, and Dobuita at night might be cool to experience without the worry of getting the last train.

Mind you, I went during the Shenmue 1+2 re-release promotion, and they've probably stopped doing the anime promotion as well by now......

Yeah, maybe a day trip is better after all haha.

Last edited:
Lol. No it’s not. I can get to Shinagawa station in forty minutes from my house in Chiba. It’s about ten minutes from Shibuya station and twelve from Tokyo station, so I’ve no idea where you’re getting an hour from.
I dunno if this should really be the focus of ShenmueTree's topic, but to entertain your lol, I consider Ikebukuro to be one of the central-ish (notice the -ish) areas of Tokyo - or at least it's my closest large area. 43 mins. I said 30mins to 1 hour. That seems to match.
1665750403531.png

I dunno if this should really be the focus of ShenmueTree's topic, but to entertain your lol, I consider Ikebukuro to be one of the central-ish (notice the -ish) areas of Tokyo - or at least it's my closest large area. 43 mins. I said 30mins to 1 hour. That seems to match.
View attachment 17087

But Ikebukuro is the northern-most of the, "big burghs," of Tokyo, thus Tomboz is correct in that if you are more-central or stay in the more popular parts (Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc.), it'll be much quicker.

I consider Shinjuku to be central Tokyo, btw: again, Ikebukuro is north.\

You could follow one of the Yokosuka's own Shenmue Sacred Spot Guides! Here is the original one:

There has been a couple of newer iterations over the years, one at the time of the Shenmue 1 & 2 release, and a more recent one for the Anime that may have some different or extra points of interest too :)
Very interesting! I'll be sure to use this thank you!
Depends on how long you hope to go and your travelling style (I enjoy walking around and seeing as much as I can in one day rather than relaxing). I like having a plan as a base and then being flexible with it, but I recommend googling 'things to do in Tokyo' remembering the names of specific areas for the stuff that interests you, then searching by the area (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Akihabara) and finding points of interest within walking distance of a station, and then walking from A to B while getting as many of those things in as possible. You could do two i.e. Ueno and Akihabara in a day for example. If that's too much effort, it is possible to explore things within the radius of train stations as well instead of walking. Getting a bus to specific places is only necessary when you get outside of the city or go to smaller places.

There are some good plans online already, so you could just google '4-day itinerary in tokyo' for example.

Also, Yokosuka is pretty far from Central Tokyo, so unless you only want to do a day trip with long train journeys, I recommend staying in Yokosuka for a night.
I'm not really going to be in Tokyo but a few hours when I arrive. I'll be leaving around 6pm from Haneda on my last day, which is the day I plan to explore Tokyo.

I'll be be going to Yokohama, Nagano, Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya. I have a basic itinerary (which, I'm going to fill out more) that allows me to visit each location for a few days, excluding Nagoya and Tokyo which will only be a few hours. I'm going straight to Yokohama after arriving in Tokyo at ~8pm the first day.

Yokohama is about 45 mins train ride away from Haneda, Airport.

I'm available on Mondays to show you around

I'll be in Osaka and Kyoto if you're anywhere close. Thanks for the amazing offer! :)

As for the debate on how long to stay in Yokohama..It's actually the most logistical and cheapest route to stay at least 2 days first, considering my budget.

I'll post a sample of my tentative itinerary.
and... It's gone.

I'm going to Japan completely on my own. Solo-ing it. xD

Last edited:
Go to some bars in Dobuita and get talking to the sailors there as they are a good laugh. I had a really cool night out on Dobuita and bought lots of strong zero from the Tomato (711)

Can't really drink much due to health reasons. I might try at least one. Also, you don't have to ask if there are any sailors, you can spot them. Haha

Can't really drink much due to health reasons. I might try at least one. Also, you don't have to ask if there are any sailors, you can spot them. Haha
Yeah the sailors all work at the Naval Base across the road at the harbour. They are more like the guys MJQ rather than the Heartbeats guys. If you dont drink then dont bother with Strong Zero lol.

Last edited:
I hope you are going to enjoy your stay. I have been to Japan 3 times already but have not been to Yokosuka yet. But I want to go to Tokyo for the 4th time in November and then I have planned to make a 1 day trip to Yokosuka as well. It is a worthwhile destination for me.

It is important for me as a big Shenmue fan but also quite important as a history buff in general. I am very interested in visiting the museum Ship Mikasa.

Back