Version 1.03 for PS4 is Live - Release Notes

I'm glad consoles finally got a new patch, but I'm assuming the combat still isn't fixed? Things like not being able to throw enemies into other enemies, hitboxes, etc going off the PC patch thread.

Just tested on PS4 last night after the patch... still extremely quiet footsteps on roads. Wtf man... such a glaring issue shouldn't still be a thing...

Maybe it's just me but the footsteps SFX on the road sounds slightly louder than it didn't before. I also tried out the 70 man battle and there is some improvement on that particular issue. Still has a ways to go though.

I'm glad consoles finally got a new patch, but I'm assuming the combat still isn't fixed? Things like not being able to throw enemies into other enemies, hitboxes, etc going off the PC patch thread.

I just tested out the newest patch in the seventy man battle for PS4 and sadly the hitboxes still haven't been fixed. You still can't kick enemies away while holding another enemy in an arm lock. The same could be said of throwing into people. Hopefully, they'll work on that in the next patch.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but the footsteps SFX on the road sounds slightly louder than it didn't before.
I agree, you can actually KINDA hear them now, but they're still extremely quiet to the point of being practically missing...

I just tested out the newest patch in the 70 man battle for PS4 and sadly the hitboxes still haven't been fixed. You still can't kick enemies away while holding another enemy in an arm lock. The same could be said of throwing into people. Hopefully they'll work on that in the next patch.
Well that's too bad. At least we're making progress I suppose, I just hope they don't keep us in the dark for as long as they did with this last patch.

Very very happy now. Just tested the game and the qte problems on Japanese PS4 systems appear to finally be fixed and working. Still need to check some areas but the one area that was 99.9% impossible to pass has been fixed for sure. Finally the game is no longer broken on that systems. Glad Sega and the developers didn’t give up on it and fixed it!

Very very happy now. Just tested the game and the qte problems on Japanese PS4 systems appear to finally be fixed and working. Still need to check some areas but the one area that was 99.9% impossible to pass has been fixed for sure. Finally the game is no longer broken on that systems. Glad Sega and the developers didn’t give up on it and fixed it!

I imagine there are more to come. The hitboxes on the fighting for example need sorting out and I've seen a few comments about the footsteps being too quiet.

Some music is still slightly off but sounds like it's much improved

I would expect at least one more patch, if not two. By and large, it is pretty apparent SEGA and d3t have been lurking the list here(come on, SEGA put your livestreams on their Twitter) and gathering feedback for research from it and messages they have received.

Chances are they know about the footsteps, music and collision detection so I do expect that to be cleaned up by the JP release.

Should they have released when they did so? Probably not, but recent revelations have shed light on just how troubled and rushed this project really was, really at no true fault of d3t.

Kudos to whomever that realized a grevious error was made(I think it had way more success than they ever anticipated) and taking steps to fix it.

Not many can say they have toughened up, taken it on the chin, got up and go six patches deep on a 20 year old property.

Shenmue 2's audio is still a complete disaster even after this patch. Broken audio loops still present and terrible midi music reproduction. If I was the sound guy Id be appalled this was even released.

Shenmue 1 is much better as far as audio is concerned which I find odd. Did the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 have audio issues? I know this release was based off that code.

Shenmue 2's audio is still a complete disaster even after this patch. Broken audio loops still present and terrible midi music reproduction. If I was the sound guy Id be appalled this was even released.

Shenmue 1 is much better as far as audio is concerned which I find odd. Did the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 have audio issues? I know this release was based off that code.

I don't think Shenmue 1 music is much better. Just listen to title music. Volume balance is also not good. Sometimes music is very quiet even if the music slider is on max in the options.

This might be just me talking but on the ps4 has anyone noticed a high pitched crackle at the end of some of the speech in the Japanese dub? I swear it wasn't there in v1.02 of Shenmue 1

This might be just me talking but on the ps4 has anyone noticed a high pitched crackle at the end of some of the speech in the Japanese dub? I swear it wasn't there in v1.02 of Shenmue 1
I haven't noticed it myself, but I've heard people mention it before. Apparently the audio doesn't fade out properly like it does on the dreamcast, leaving a jarring transition when the clip ends... I personally only noticed this with the English dialogue but it's possible I just wasn't listening well...

I haven't noticed it myself, but I've heard people mention it before. Apparently the audio doesn't fade out properly like it does on the dreamcast, leaving a jarring transition when the clip ends... I personally only noticed this with the English dialogue but it's possible I just wasn't listening well...
That would make sense. If I get time I'll post a small video to show what i mean. I sense it's very similar to the English dub you mentioned.

I find the music in Shenmue 2 to be a huge improvement since the last patch. Everything sounds better to me even the Wise Man’s Quarter, tomato convenience store and the da yuan apartments. No way would I call it a complete disaster anymore. DT3 have done great work these last 2 months fixing it. Now I’m pretty much at the point where I need to be deliberately listening closely to find any fault so credit to them for listening to us. And I say all this as one of the most vocal critics of the music in Shenmue 2.

Still having the issue in Shenmue 2 where the game crashes on PS4 after the Beverly Hill Wharf ambush. When you wake up on Wong's boat and run into any of the heavens the game crashes to the PS4 dashboard error screen. Game breaking for me as you cant get to Cool Z without meeting at least one Heavens member.

Still having the issue in Shenmue 2 where the game crashes on PS4 after the Beverly Hill Wharf ambush. When you wake up on Wong's boat and run into any of the heavens the game crashes to the PS4 dashboard error screen. Game breaking for me as you cant get to Cool Z without meeting at least one Heavens member.
Strange, I didn't have that issue thank god. That's brutal, have you tried saving right before an encounter?

Strange, I didn't have that issue thank god. That's brutal, have you tried saving right before an encounter?
Yeah I've tried turning on and off all the options, saving and reloading etc with no luck. Tried fighting the street fight where you can hit "the caveman" 5 times to win hoping it would force a reload once the street fight finished but sadly didn't help . Also the game doesn't trigger the heavens fight if you have the menu open so tried edging past a few by walking one step and quickly pressing the menu (repeat) but eventually the fight tries to trigger. Only thing i haven't tried is letting a day go by to force Ryo to sleep and potentially reload and hopefully reset whatever is causing the error.

Otherwise I'm going to have to boot up a save from a few hours earlier and hope it doesn't happen this time for whatever reason. I heard a few people had this before the first few patches came out (back when i was near the end of Shenmue 1) but noone seemed to have the issue again after the patches so i assumed it was gone. :(. Thankfully it is pretty rare it seems!

@lkskiller Ah man that's unfortunate to hear, sounds like a pretty frustrating bug (to have it halt the progress you've made/unable to continue) hopefully in the short-term the steps you've laid out will remedy this (or perhaps one of the upcoming upcoming patches).

Yeah I've tried turning on and off all the options, saving and reloading etc with no luck. Tried fighting the street fight where you can hit "the caveman" 5 times to win hoping it would force a reload once the street fight finished but sadly didn't help . Also the game doesn't trigger the heavens fight if you have the menu open so tried edging past a few by walking one step and quickly pressing the menu (repeat) but eventually the fight tries to trigger. Only thing i haven't tried is letting a day go by to force Ryo to sleep and potentially reload and hopefully reset whatever is causing the error.

Well if you're willing to use glitches to get past, the map glitch is your friend (assuming you have a map of somewhere in Aberdeen). While running, quickly open the menu and the map without letting go of the run button - you'll be looking at the map while still moving, and none of the fights will trigger.

Note that it's difficult to actually know where you're going when you're like this, but you'll get the hang of it.

You'll have to make sure you don't fail the CQTE afterwards though - otherwise a fight is required to be able to leave Beverly Hills Wharf.

Well if you're willing to use glitches to get past, the map glitch is your friend (assuming you have a map of somewhere in Aberdeen). While running, quickly open the menu and the map without letting go of the run button - you'll be looking at the map while still moving, and none of the fights will trigger.

Note that it's difficult to actually know where you're going when you're like this, but you'll get the hang of it.

You'll have to make sure you don't fail the CQTE afterwards though - otherwise a fight is required to be able to leave Beverly Hills Wharf.

Hadn't thought of that!, pretty sure i bought a map earlier on. Thanks so much I will give that a try next time i'm on!! :)

Back